PDA

View Full Version : Discharge A/C, and doing swap tomorrow!

**DONOTDELETE**
08-09-2002, 03:34 AM
Hey, I was wondering if there were someway I could discharge the A/C out of my 89 fastback myself.
I'm putting in a CA18DET tommorrow.
I don't want to have to take it to someone bc I want to get an early start on it tomorrow and get the
swap done as quickly as possible, and if I take it to someone the car will get hot and I'll have to let it cool,
and the engine doesn't run very well right now. Also, what's the best position to have the car in when doing an engine swap?
Should all 4 wheels be off the ground? Or leave the 2 rear on the ground and the front on ramps? Another question
I'm also putting in a new clutch, the FSM for the stock motor says something about putting some grease on some
parts, do I need to do this? What kind of grease should I use? Last one, when taking the engine out then putting
the new one in, should I remove the transmission before pulling the engine out, and also put the transmission on
after putting the new engine in? Or leave it all together when doing both? Sorry bout all the questions, this is my
first time taking on something this big, got a bunch of friends comming over to help and I'm hoping to have this thing
finished soon. So any help as soon as possible is greatly appreciated.

cHuCkDizz
08-09-2002, 03:58 AM
Leave the engine connected to the tranny, and i hope you have planned for a months worth of down time. I just jacked up the front end and took the two front wheels off. This was my first engine swap and it took forever. Nothing is as easy as they say it is. The wiring was the easiest part. Anyways good luck.

08-09-2002, 04:44 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small[/img]In reply to:</font><hr />
Hey, I was wondering if there were someway I could discharge the A/C out of my 89 fastback myself.

[/QUOTE]
Sure, as long as you don't mind breaking laws (which you obviously don't, since you're installing an illegal engine). Just loosen up a line somewhere, and all that expensive R12 will be happy to leave the confines of your AC system, and join its brethren in their heroic struggle to destroy the evil ozone layer.

Re your engine swap, I'm sorry, but you seem to have bitten off more than you can chew. I hope I'm wrong, but come on, your questions don't bode well.

Good luck with your project, though. Keep *all* the wheels on the ground, until you need to raise the front in order to crawl under. If the FSM says to use grease, then use grease. If the FSM doesn't say what kind of grease, then just use regular-grease grease (bacon grease doesn't count).

mazdog
08-09-2002, 08:34 AM
Just wanted to add that i think you should lossen an AC line on the "low pressure" side (check your FSM).

sexy240
08-09-2002, 12:17 PM
IF the AC is compatible with the CA18det just ubolt it from your engine let it hang then rebolt it to the new engine. no need to recharge it. anyway I did a KA for KA swap in two day with a couple of friends. we swapped everything Alternator, distibutor, Intake manifold ect. I think you have an eaisier project ahead of you. Dont expect months of downtime. tell you self it can be done in a day and commit yourself to it. YOu learn as you go I KNOW I DID. engine and tranny come out together and go in together.

Hollywood
08-09-2002, 02:11 PM
The grease for the tranni is called lithium grease. Dont forget about the drive shaft n stuff too. My 95 KA, and 94 SR both had 134, not R12 in the A/C, so venting was allowed. Becareful it can get messy.