PDA

View Full Version : brake upgrade ASAD

jspecusa
08-09-2002, 07:07 AM
Asad,
Can you explain about the brake upgrade you had at the convention and when it is available?
Thanks,

Sam http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

Mav1178
08-09-2002, 04:29 PM
From our "mutual" friend:

since asad has not replied, here's some prelim info and pics:
http://universe.svwh.net/car_stuff/nissan-con02/images/ares_brake-kit-1.jpg
- ~12.75" two-piece rotors.. weighs less than stock rotor
- uses oem Z32 caliper
- will not have caliper clearance issues with wheels like current z32 brake upgrade
- will look way cool

-alex

uiuc240
08-09-2002, 04:35 PM
so what changes? is there an adaptor bracket to move the calipers back (with a corresponding change to the location of the rotor)? or is the rotor hat just thicker with longer studs? this is a great idea. i'm interested. will this be publicly available sometime soon? cost?

Eric

nokuntrol
08-09-2002, 04:59 PM
is this going to be something that is custom or is it going to be produced for the general public?

AD
08-09-2002, 05:28 PM
and for those of us who didn't get a chance to see it in person, is it going to be just a front upgrade (as I suspect) or is it a 4-corner deal? http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

sexy240
08-09-2002, 05:34 PM
I asked a similar question at the convention. the response I got was that It was just for the fronts.

Mav1178
08-09-2002, 05:51 PM
Think of this as an attempt to basically duplicate the AEM big rotor upgrade for the Civic Si. Larger rotors, and an adapter bracket that pushes out the caliper. Fronts only.

I didn't make it, nor did I do any research on it, but I've seen it in person already and know the general idea behind it. I think the only limiting factor would be that you won't be able to run this setup on a 15" wheel. Definitely 16" or 17" wheel at least.

-alex

Super13
08-09-2002, 06:05 PM
that thing looks way kewl, and i have some rims that need spacers (not very big spacers, but spacers none the less to accomidate any swappage concerning the breakage upgrade) so like when can i loose some buckarooz to have that nifty swap, that will be with the TT aluminums right?

Ozone
08-09-2002, 07:11 PM
Any word on the pricing or when it will be avaliable?

kevin

terabyte
08-09-2002, 08:11 PM
I don't have my 240 yet but I want a set too.

no_face
08-10-2002, 12:39 AM
I dont see why not get the 26mm calipers are not worry about the space issue. I just did this upgrade and I didnt run into any spacing issue.
Are the 30mm calipers just that much better?

RyanK
08-10-2002, 04:45 AM
From our "mutual" friend:

answers to Qs:
- changes include new rotor assembly and repositioned caliper
- brake kit will be produced for general public
- this particular "kit" is a front upgrade only, but there will also be other brake components developed (inc. rear brake-related items)
- availability: hopefully before '03... pricing: not yet determined, but it will definitely be the best deal for a bolt-on big brake upgrade kit
- blackx: this brake kit is NOT designed just cuz of clearance issues.. you missed the point that the additional clearance is an added bonus

cellude
08-10-2002, 10:56 AM
To all who are interested in this upgrade. There is already a kit like this out there The link (http://ginnmotorsports.com) by Ginnmotorsports. A few of the Z's use it, but the complant has been that it is way overpriced. The kit uses a 12.5 inch VR4 rotor and relocates the stock Z32 caliper. Check out twinturbo.net to read more about it. I'm hoping that this new kit will be more reasonably priced and I like the no clearance issue aspect.

allmotorKA
08-10-2002, 07:22 PM
It doesn't look like the Ginn Motorsports rotors are two piece...two piece rotors kick a$$ over one piece when it comes to rotor warpage resistance.

08-11-2002, 06:39 PM
Yeah, the problem with the Ginn Motorsports kit is twofold -- one, it uses a 1-piece rotor which is pretty heavy. Two, the 'offset' of the rotor requires the caliper to be moved outward, reducing wheel clearance. The setup pictured above does the opposite -- it moves the caliper inboard by over 3/4".

Asad

cellude
08-11-2002, 10:18 PM
And that is why I am anxiously awaiting the release of your new kit. I'm tired of worrying about wheel clearances.

SimpleS14
08-11-2002, 10:31 PM
Can't you just replace the rotors and calipers with those of the Z32 in a S-14?

08-11-2002, 11:25 PM
Well, the kit is still very much in the development and prototyping phase. I work on this in my spare time so naturally it doesn't progress as fast as I'd like -- long periods of inactivity followed by brief spurts of productivity is the M.O...

GTSpecR -- yes, you can just use Z32 brakes on any S-chassis. This kit is the next level beyond that.

Asad

Super13
08-13-2002, 01:23 PM
hey asad, could u create an mailing list for this product so all interested and prospective buyers could get an update or what not on the status and pricing / availability? the kit looks kewl, if u could give an max price for this kit it would go along way for myself and maybe someone else in determining an schedule or budget for car mods.