PDA

View Full Version : Rattling sound @ 6k rpm

deeznutz
08-09-2002, 08:14 PM
So I have tried to look under the car and reving it up to see if was coming from under the car, but it is not.
Do you think it could be the heatshield from the exhuast manifold? If I were to remove it(heatshield), will that create too much heat in the engine bay, and should it be heat wrapped?

Thanks for the responses

-Dan

Dousan_PG
08-09-2002, 11:54 PM
its probably your heat shield
mine's coming off tomorrow, one of the bolts were lost when we took it off haha..oh well. it vibrates and makes noises all the time when letting off the accelerator
as long as i dont park over grass or anything like that, s houldnt be aproblem
i think its more to protect things under the car then much else. i guess it diffuses the heat faster?

AZ_Dave
08-10-2002, 01:17 AM
If you are worried, heat wrap cloth tape can be used in place of the shield. It's supposed to be more efficient in keeping heat in anyways.

JimStinksAtDorifto
08-10-2002, 01:48 AM
If it rattles at the same rpm, I bet its a heat sheild. I thought my timing chain was rattling at 3200rpm..nope. Twas the heat shield. Ripped it off and no more noise. The extra heat will not be a big deal. Aftermarket headers do not come with heat shields. http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif