PDA

View Full Version : Safe to start engine w/0 driveshaft connected?

turbobunny
08-10-2002, 01:04 PM
Hey all,
I'm waiting for my new KA/SR Transmission Dust Boot Cover to come in, but we want to see if the engine starts today. So...Is it safe to start the engine with the transmission disconnected from the driveshaft?

Thanks!

**DONOTDELETE**
08-10-2002, 01:11 PM
As long as the driveshaft is completely out and not in gear, and has lubricant. You will be able to start the engine no problem.

Nelson

**DONOTDELETE**
08-10-2002, 05:23 PM
you can't get the oil up to proper level with the driveshaft out of the tranny. even with the car in neutral there's still some gears rotating in there. and then even if you let the clutch out it's still going to get a little bit of rotation in there. don't think a clutch ever lets go 100%. so if you've just GOTTA start the engine, keep the clutch disengaged and don't let it run for long.

**DONOTDELETE**
08-10-2002, 07:14 PM
Even if you hold it in neutral, there will still be some drag or friction turning the input shaft. maybe slight though, and maybe enough to make gear oil leak out the tail.

arkman0
08-11-2002, 01:36 AM
your not gonna hurt anything, i drove 5 miles with a blown tranny seal, idling the car in gear or not in gear will not hurt a thing, btw, the tranny will be about half full, iirc