PDA

View Full Version : Overheated now car doesn't run.. need help!!

HyperTek
08-11-2002, 11:20 PM
OK, no, not my car... But a friend. S14 has had a coolent leak, eventually the car overheated. He had to have the car towed back to his house when this happened. Now trying to get the car runing again: The problem is that the car doesn't start. I went to his house to check it out. When you turn the ignition, The starter turns the engine, but the engine turns smoothly (can see clutch fan spinning) like as if the valves where open or something, or like the sparkplugs aren't igniting, we pulled out the #1 spark plug and it was wet (with fuel). My guess is that the ignition is not firing or something to do with compression??

Other then that, visually the engine looks fine, I got one question, what is this??
http://aim.servebeer.com/car/1.jpg
That is a pic from my friend's car, can't really see it good, but it looks like it might have been cooked a little by how the wrapping looks (slight brownish color). Could this have something to do with the problem??

AZ_Dave
08-11-2002, 11:25 PM
First thing to check after overheating is the oil

**DONOTDELETE**
08-11-2002, 11:27 PM
Sorry man, tht doesn't sound very good. How hot did it get?

Was the coolant or fuel on the sparkplug? Is your oil level higher now?

S15Hybrid
08-12-2002, 12:27 AM
r u sure its not oil on the sparkplug? i had the same problem on my integra. my car used to get REALLY hot cuz i had a coolant leak but it never overheated. did the car hesitate at all when he drove it before the overheat? cuz if it did, then ur valve cover grommets r probably worn. the kit i got for my integra cost $25 for the grommets and the whole valve cover gasket. u can do it urself, it just takes like 30 min to do. check to see if all the spark plugs r covered in oil cuz if they r, that might be y they r not igniting.

formulaJEREMY
08-12-2002, 02:25 PM
Sometimes when you overheat and engine excessively, it will blow the head gasket. The result will be coolant and possibly oil leaking into the combustion chamber.

I would try to get a compression check done to see what's up.

HyperTek
08-12-2002, 08:51 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys, my friend has been monitoring this thread and im sure he is considering everything. I'm not sure what my friend wants to do now. Not having a garage to work in must be hard.

Im also been thinking that maybe it could have something to do with the head area. UMmmmm... If he would pay to work on it, I would consider it, hehehe tow a 240 with another 240 accross town...... haha I dunno. I'll have him look into that direction with the head work.

mattmartindrift
08-13-2002, 12:49 AM
could have done a few things, taken out the head gasket, maybe even warped the head, also could have fried the ignition who knows, do a compression check on all cylinders.

Matt

Super13
08-13-2002, 01:17 PM
did u check your boots?

HyperTek
08-17-2002, 11:59 PM
OK, follow up... He got his car to the shop and turns out its the head gasket that he blew. Now the shop wants $1,800 to repair it. Thats freakin alot!! Does this work usually cost this much, I wouldnt think its that hard to replace the gasket. With that money he could get an SR... But he isnt that experienced with car work. So what do you guys think?? should he go with it?? Oh yah, and doing that work wouldnt be that hard huh??

mike2016
08-18-2002, 03:03 AM
it's definitely blown headgasket, which causing coolant leak into the cylinder and the motor won't fire up anymore. he should also have the head checked by a machine shop, if the motor gets too hot he could've probably warped the head.

my suggestion is buy a used KA from someone and swap it. unless he can do the work himself, I replaced my headgasket twice and it costs me only $60 bucks/each for the headgasket, it's not that hard with the right tools.

Mav1178
08-18-2002, 03:28 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small[/img]In reply to:</font><hr />
it's definitely blown headgasket, which causing coolant leak into the cylinder and the motor won't fire up anymore. he should also have the head checked by a machine shop, if the motor gets too hot he could've probably warped the head.

[/QUOTE]

Or worse, a cracked block.

-alex

PSI240SX
08-18-2002, 07:11 PM
$1800 for a blown headgasket is a complete and utter rip off!! It's $60 at the dealer for a new one. If you get a factory service manual and some tools you could do it easily. The only tricky tools are, a torque wrench for ft/lbs and one for in/lbs. Other than that, it's basic metric wrenches and sockets.