PDA

View Full Version : Clutch friction point

**DONOTDELETE**
08-12-2002, 04:48 AM
Just wondering if it's normal for the clutches friction point to be so high? I would only have to barely tap the clutch and it would go into gear.

Experiences with stock and ACT stage 1&2.

Stock: ever since I got it the friction point is really high. Got it replaced from clutch masters. Car came out and the friction point was much lower. After about 500 miles it was back to the same spot.

ACT: When the old one went out in about 8 months of normal driving. I got an ACT stage 1 clutch installed and the friction point was much lower again. Then in about 300 miles it went back high again. In about 1 years time it broke and got a ACT stage 2 clutch. Same thing!!!!

Can anyone tell me if its normal for the friction point of the clutch to be so high or am I driving a stick all wrong.

Thanks,
Lay
91se

P.S. I do not race at all.....

BrianS
08-12-2002, 10:30 PM
that is normal, hydrolic clutchs are designed to automatically adjust themselves up

by making the slave cylinder longer than the slave piston, as the clutch wears extra fluid fills in behind the piston and keeps the clutch pedal releasing up high

Natty
08-12-2002, 11:25 PM
Take it to a trnasmission shop that does manuals only. I did and they guy adjusted my clutch pedal and a nut near the pedal. It made a world of difference.
FYI, I was new to driving a stick so I thought that was what killed my old clutch. When in reality, the pedal engaged really high, like you describe. That killed 2 clutches in normal driving. Now, 4 months later, no problem.
Get the pedal adjusted by a pro and you'll be fine.
Jeff

**DONOTDELETE**
08-13-2002, 01:11 AM
Will adjusting the clutch friction point fix my problem or is it just a temporary fix?

240sx2envy
08-13-2002, 04:36 AM
Thats wierd you asked. I just got a 97 240sx last sunday and I just made the clutch hight as low as possible. It is really easy. My friend did it in like five minutes and got rid of the play. You can do it all by just above the clutch peddle.

jimc-s13
08-13-2002, 07:13 PM
Strange to be going through clutches that fast...

One thing I'm wondering about is if there is a problem with the clutch hydraulic system. I'm not sure what kind of problem that could be, though. It would seem that pressure is building up in the system or something, and keeping pressure on the clutch. That may also cause it to slip, which would be why your clutches don't last very long.

Jim

08-13-2002, 09:31 PM
If you have your clutch pedal adjusted incorrectly, it could cause the clutch to either not disengage completely when you put your foot down, or it will not engage completely with your foot up. Both cases will lead to premature wear due to slip.

Asad