PDA

View Full Version : how hard is it to rebuild a KA24de?

ftrceo
08-13-2002, 12:44 AM
I have a ka24e w/ 188K on the clock and i feel this is engine is about to give so I am locating a DE right now. I have a few lined up and will be looking to rebuild as soon as I get the engine. the question is, how hard is it to rebuild an engine and would I be able to do it myself w/out any special tools... i am gonna rebuild w/ 95 pistons and change everything to the tune of $431? (courtesy) in parts and was wondering has anyone ever done this themselves before? I use to have a Z32, a couple civics, I got a hachi, a truck etc.. I have changed clutches multiple times, brakes, rotors, added almost every performance part I can think of, tuned and worked on many turbo cars... so will rebuilding an engine be that much harder? would I be able to do it with an engine stand and a whole lot of tools? because I cant afford to buy these parts then pay some grease monkey $800 to put them in the engine. so is this a DIY? and how many man hours would I be looking at? i got the time btw since I am still a student. btw, did we ever get confirmation on 2000 altima rings being stronger?
thanx,
ftrceo

"success is just a matter of luck, ask any failure"

08-13-2002, 12:54 AM
The most important tools you'll need for a rebuild are GOOD measuring tools (i.e. ones that can measure to a ten-thousandth of an inch -- yes, 0.0001" -- for bearing clearances) and a set of good torque wrenches. Then there are specialty tools like a piston ring gap filer and ring compressors and the like. Pick up an FSM and read through the EM (Engine Mechanical) section and it'll give you a good idea of what's involved.

Asad

jimc-s13
08-13-2002, 07:25 PM
Why the 95 pistons? I thought it was pretty much established that all KA24DE pistons were the same?

If you're not going turbo, and you want new pistons, you may want to look at getting pistons from the SOHC engine for higher compression.

More Detail (http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB9&Number=157922&Forum=U BB9&Words=sohc%20pistons&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Sea rchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=1year&Main=157828&Search=tr ue#Post157922)

Jim

ftrceo
08-13-2002, 11:24 PM
i read through that thing and that was a wealth of knowledge. But I am getting the DOHC and rebuilding so that i can run boost. small boost or big boost I am not sure yet. most likely small boost since my goals are only high 13s-low 14s. and 95 pistons because they are "Hyperreutic (sp?)" will they be the right pistons for the job? well let me know if there is anything I should know. how much would an engine shop charge if I dropped off my block with all the rebuild parts? thanx!
Ftrceo

whats a good price to pay for a used DOHC, 100K w/ an ecu?
anyone got one lying around ready for rebuild?

08-14-2002, 12:08 AM
The 95+ pistons being hypereutectic is either a) a myth, or b) irrelevant, because Clark at JWT relayed to Dennis (d240t2) that all the 240sx KA24DE pistons were the same.

Asad

dan240t
08-14-2002, 02:19 AM
engine rebuilds can range from anywhere to $350 to $1000 or more.

i have heard a few guys get rebuilds (just give them the performance pistons and rings and etc and they will do it all for you) for around 500-600 but i havnt shopped too much yet. it will likely turn out to be more, i am also curious.

plus add in more for any machining work that needs to be done, such as crank polishing, knife edging, balancing, etc.

i would like to know a good ballpark price on assembling a lower block with
-pistons .020 over
-rings
-arp studs (if there is those i have not found them yet)
-rods and bolts
-crank
-ur crank pulley
-flywheel
-balance rotating mass
-assembly