PDA

View Full Version : Everyone's favorite tools

Super13
08-13-2002, 11:16 PM
for anyone seriously looking into messing with their car, what would be some not so common tools that are helpfull for doing swaps and the not so common maintenance.

mattmartindrift
08-13-2002, 11:52 PM
BFH (Big Fu*king Hammer), BFP ( Big Fu*king Pole), BFS (Big Fu*king Screwdriver) w00t!!!

But a test light, good metric socket and wrench set, torque wrench, screwdriver set, and that is basicly all you need.

Matt

carluch
08-14-2002, 01:25 AM
besides 10,12,14mm sockets and needlenose pliers, my friends like to joke around that my dremel is my favorite tool...
also, zip-ties and atv sealant!

Refill
08-14-2002, 02:18 AM
zip-ties have replaced duct tape for a lot of my friends.

mechaniac
08-14-2002, 02:45 AM
yeah, I have a big long hollow metal pole! ...and a shorter hollow metal pole. Great for busting out the big bolts you can't get with just arm strength!

KenFuji
08-14-2002, 03:57 AM
torque wrench

JonCarson
08-14-2002, 05:46 AM
Torque wrench, 8/10/12/14/17/21mm sockets, dremel tool.

orion
08-14-2002, 09:35 AM
Don't forget the BFW...

And I love the aformentioned metric sockets, just like all you guys - And I especially love a 3/8 swivel (u-joint) and my trusty '1/2 to 3/8' adapter - Makes all my sockets fit the impact gun just in case...

Later - Brian

Beef
08-14-2002, 09:45 AM
These are my favorite:
http://www.matcotools.com/ProductImages/1-RevProswing.jpg

Otherwise, these come in handy:
Assorted pry bars
Air tools
3M cutting wheel
Good penetrating lube
Matco stud extractors
All the previously mentioned tools...

uiuc240
08-14-2002, 11:17 AM
DUDE...Keith. How much do those cost? And are they really long? They look long. I almost bought a set of ratcheting box end wrenches at Sears a couple of weeks ago. Do you think it's really worth it to spend all sorts of extra dough on the Matco stuff?? Please be honest...I'm on a budget.

Eric

Beef
08-14-2002, 11:34 AM
I don't recall what they cost...but I know they're not cheap! I have all Craftsmen stuff, but when I do bigger projects on my car I use my friends garage. He has 2 full size Craftsmen tool boxes and one HUGE (I mean HUUUGE) MAC tool box FULL of Craftsmen, Matco, and Snap-On tools. It's the garage of gods... http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

The Craftsmen equivalent to the Matcos are a little cheaper and appear to be pretty similar. The Matcos are nice though because they have a high ratchet ratio...if that makes sense. Basically you don't have to move it very far to get it to click. Works great in tight spots! They come in various lengths and I think they just recently released the stubby versions of them. I'd have to say if you're on a budget that the Craftsmens will suit anyone's needs at a little lower cost.

I should add another tool to the list that isn't very common.
A digital caliper (for exact measurment)
Comes in handy more than you'd think.

uiuc240
08-14-2002, 11:37 AM
cool. yeah, Craftsman just came out with some new ones that only need 6 degrees to ratchet. i'm going to shoot for those.

Eric

NOSTALGIC_HERO
08-14-2002, 12:03 PM
prybars, C-ring pliers that actually work, brass hammers, torque wrenches that dont die every year. most of Matco's stuff, OH! tool kit used to remove screws where the head has been damaged by a worn out screwdriver or have been chewed up.

YellowS14
08-14-2002, 12:46 PM
my all time favorite tool is penetrating oil, my current fav is dura-lube (that tv stuff...really) it beats pb blaster wd-40 and everything else i have used, it actually made it so i could unscrew the exaust bolts by hand(after breaking them loose)

aside from that, id have to say pipes for leverage, extra hands, and cold water(i work in my driveway)

YellowS14

ADAM HUTCHINSON
08-14-2002, 01:00 PM
vice grips

eXchange
08-14-2002, 01:16 PM
i think that my all time fav tool is the torch. helps to "persuade" locked up bolts better than a bar

S14GTR
08-14-2002, 01:24 PM
I agree with zip tie & vice grip....

And when I will find my problem with my SR, I will say Big fu#@^#$ Hammer!!!! to smash the defective part on my SR!

pSY trek
08-14-2002, 06:09 PM
I'm 19 and I'd like to eventually be able to do all of my own work. What brand of tools do you guys recommend? Some say craftsmen is great but are there any other brands you guys would recommend for a specific type of tool? Like a torque wrench. What type(range or torquing?) of torque wrench is most useful for the 240?

-Stanley

s13SRmadness
08-14-2002, 06:45 PM
BLADE!

formulaJEREMY
08-14-2002, 07:30 PM
I like my pair of Mechanix padded gloves. Keeps your hands somewhat safe.

SOHC240
08-14-2002, 07:31 PM
One tool that I find very handy is my pneumatic Die grinder, with either a 3M cutting wheel, scotch brite pad, or sanding disc. I used this thing a ton of times when doing my swap.

Wiring/Electrical tools are often overlooked such as a good wire stripper and a mini torch to sauder and heat shrink wrap with. Makes splicing wires so much neater and simpler.

As for penetrating fluid, my favorites are Honey goo and Fluid film, they work wonders.

And of course you can't go without a decent set of metric sockets with ratchets and wrenches. However I am not a big fan of Vice grips and always try to use them as a LAST resort.

Marshall

**DONOTDELETE**
08-14-2002, 09:24 PM
FYI - Craftsman and Matco wrenchs are made by the same company in the same plant, they are both made by Danaher. If you examine a Matco wrench and a Craftsman Professional wrench, you will see they are 99% identical.

danwagar
08-14-2002, 11:53 PM
air tools are the coolest thing in the world, i have an air ratchet and an impact wrench. oh yeah and a die grinder. air tools honestly will split work time in half! ingersol and cp are the best dont ever buy cheap air tools and there is no need to buy snap on or mac. for any hand tool that is goona be likely to break eventually i buy snap-on. all my ratchets are snap on they definately have the best except maybe mac. all my sockets and wrenches are s&k they make very good tools for a very reasonable price, much better quality than craftsman and they also come with lifetime waranty. i really don't think i can pick a favorite tool though....i definately must say i love all my snap on tools, honestly if you think it is breakable buy snap on.

pSY trek
08-15-2002, 09:34 PM
Where would I be able to find S&K tools?

uiuc240
08-16-2002, 12:36 PM
S&K is crap. My dad had some of their sockets...we broke MANY of them in half. The castings were off center. Craftsman is a big step up from S&K.

Eric