PDA

View Full Version : Stalling is getting to me now

**DONOTDELETE**
08-13-2002, 11:31 PM
Every time I come to a stop my car will idle fine for about 1 or 2 seconds and then stumble and sometimes die. It dies indefinately if I have the AC on.

Red top SR into a 1991 240SX. Wally fuel pump, intake, 3" downpipe...

Please help, it's really getting to me now. The car runs PERFECT otherwise. Very, very strong. No blow off valve either.

**DONOTDELETE**
08-14-2002, 12:24 AM
did ya check the idle air control valve?

Nelson

**DONOTDELETE**
08-14-2002, 12:25 AM
did ya check the idle air control valve and the vehicle speed sensor input to the ecu?

Nelson

AZ_Dave
08-14-2002, 12:42 AM
speed sensor has no affect on idle

revlis240
08-14-2002, 01:02 AM
no bov = bad, eeeh homes? hehe

-Abe

AZ_Dave
08-14-2002, 01:06 AM
I had no idle problems w/o a BOV...the problems come when you DO have a BOV.

KenFuji
08-14-2002, 01:09 AM
sounds like the iacv/iaav

there should be post about this in the search.
also make sure you are getting power to it as well

Steeles
08-14-2002, 01:10 AM
mine does that sometimes with the apex'i. I just tightened it down some and it doesnt do it nearly as much. not fun to be trying to turn in somewhere uphill and have it die on you. turning the wheel with suddenly no power steering and trying to recrank the car is a lotr to do http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif the HKS and Apex fuel controllers have settings to cure this. maybe check one of those out http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

revlis240
08-14-2002, 01:11 AM
what i meant to say was no BOV = compressor surge = bad for turbo. eeeeh homes? http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

-Abe

carluch
08-14-2002, 01:16 AM
this used to happen to me cause i had a vacuum leak. it got to the point where eveyone thought i was reving on them at traffic lights to prevent it from stalling. even when it did stall, i usually just used the momentum to pop the clutch to start the car again. i have since mostly fixed the leak and raised the idle to about 1M rpm...

**DONOTDELETE**
08-14-2002, 09:47 AM
I am aware it could be the IACV. I did a search on checking the IACV and stuff but couldn't find anything useful. How do I check operation of the IACV? Can I get the IACV off with the intake manifold bolted up? It looks hard to get in there (hard but quite possible). When I got my engine the IACV was full of grass, which I thought I got it all out but probably didn't. I don't think I have a vacuum leak because of how well the car starts, runs, and boosts. I'm reading right around 19 in/hg of vacuum at idle. Plus we tried the starter fluid all around the manifold and throttle body and IC couplings...I'm sure it's not a vacuum leak.

**DONOTDELETE**
08-14-2002, 04:57 PM
...update, as I eat my words...

The hose I was using after the MAF going to the turbo must have had a pinhole leak in it. This is why it was driving and boosting fine...all the boost was getting to the throttle body. I custom made myself an intake using an old AEM intake pipe from a friend's Civic. I'm now reading 20 in/hg of vacuum at idle and the car shifts much smoother...also, no more stalling. Woohoo! I fixed it and I didn't even mean to!

Kris