PDA

View Full Version : 5th Gear Grinding, someone help

hssaini
08-14-2002, 07:15 AM
Hello all,

As some of you know we went to track few days back. Since than, i have noticed that whenever i go in 5th gear, i grind.

All other gears are fine. Just the 5th gear grinds when i go in?
Someone mentioned to me, that my synchro may have something to do with it? Explanation was that, instead of going into third, someone went accidently into 5th where it is not suppose to go making the synchro to mis align.???

Any other valid thoughts? suggestions?solutions?
Please help
TIA

RINKU

hssaini
08-14-2002, 10:30 AM
How about adding the redline MTL 90 tranny fluid?

would that help ease my problem?

RINKU

hssaini
08-15-2002, 09:40 AM
bumping up

RINKU

**DONOTDELETE**
08-15-2002, 10:01 AM
MTL 90 might help, thats what I used and it helped resolve grinding in my third gear. It's always good to start by doing the cheapest fix first rather than complicated and expensive stuff like tearing your tranny apart or replacing it. so my advise, go ahead and use the MTL 90, if that doesn't work, then theres other problems.

chan

ps-going into a higher gear shouldn't do anything to the tranny, it just makes it a lot slower accelerating. Its when you shift into something like 1st gear when you are supposed to be in 4th that'll kill your tranny.

**DONOTDELETE**
08-15-2002, 02:07 PM
I have the same problem on my SR. After a while it just started grinding in fifth. I'm thinking it might be because I a: didn't put enough tranny fluid in b: didn't put the right tranny fluid in.
Either way I'm gonna replace with redline Mt-90 when I get the chance until then a temporary solution is to double clutch into fifth. That's what I do now and it's keeps the tranny from grinding.

Good luck
Jed

hssaini
08-15-2002, 03:21 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small[/img]In reply to:</font><hr />
Double clutch to get into 5th

[/QUOTE]
One of mah friends suggested that i did try it few times, but i still grinded my 5th gear.

Thanks for your input.
is yours s13 or s14 sr?
just curious.

RINKU

eastern240silvia
08-15-2002, 03:48 PM
my tranny started doing that so i replaced the gearoil. the grinding stopped for a little while but then it would return. its been 1 month since then, now all my gears except fourth grind all the time. my tranny is too far gone to fix. get that sucker checked before you really rip up something. a new tranny from the dealer is gonna cost me around $2,500.

**DONOTDELETE**
08-15-2002, 03:56 PM
S13 sr in s14.

When does it grind? When accelerating hard then going to fifth? Try experimenting with differnt speeds and RPMs to find out exactly when it grinds.
I suspect that if double clutching doesn't work it's another problem other than syncros, fluid etc..

uiuc240
08-15-2002, 04:06 PM
don't get one from a dealer!!!! either take it to a tranny shop and have them rebuild it for $500-1000 or buy one from a junkyard for less than $300 and put it in. all 240 models use the same basic tranny (except for some sensor differences that don't matter really). go for it!

Eric

s14turbo
08-15-2002, 04:25 PM
it's most likely your 5th gear synchro. btw if anyone needs a tranny i got one off a 97 for cheap.

hssaini
08-15-2002, 04:38 PM
It grinds when i go in 5th gear period. Usually i am about 50mph or more and around 4k or above rpm.

I have my KA tranny sitting.I will eventually have that rebuilt and take out my sr tranny's (,,,,,,,,,,) forgot the word and put that in my ka tranny.

Just hoping this would last a little longer than it did. Some quick fixes for now

RINKU

Thanks to all you guys for your input.

hssaini
08-15-2002, 05:01 PM
One more question for you guys.

which one to use, MTL 90 or MT 90.
I know the difference in general from search online....

MTL is a low 70W at very low temperatures and a high 80W, nearly an 85W, at elevated temperatures, providing adequate viscosity to prevent wear and deaden gear noise. MT-90 is a thicker 75W90 version of MTL

Now just wondering if there is any difference or preference of using one over the other. NOW REMEMBER, i have S14 SR with SR tranny in 95 240.

Thanks for your help fellas

PS. How about using 3 bottle of one of the above(MTL 90 or MT 90) and one bottle of mobil 1 or something. Any advantages/disadvantages?

RINKU

s14turbo
08-15-2002, 06:56 PM
are sr and ka trannies interchangeable?

and yeah that definitely sounds like a synchro problem.

hssaini
08-15-2002, 07:44 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small[/img]In reply to:</font><hr />
are sr and ka trannies interchangeable?

and yeah that definitely sounds like a synchro problem.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, they are. All you need is bell housing changed over from SR to KA and that's pretty much it.

Can anyone else verify this?

RINKU

MATT_BACK_VASS
08-15-2002, 10:53 PM
s14 turbo where are you located

and how much for your trany

**DONOTDELETE**
08-16-2002, 01:21 AM
I got this problem after the track event at the convention. Mine won't scratch if I ease it in carefully/slowly, but I guess you've already tried that.