PDA

View Full Version : steering rack...

uiuc240
08-14-2002, 02:48 PM
Have any of you had issues with the steering rack in your car? I took my S13 to the alignment shop so he could check and see where my clunk is coming from so I can buy the right parts. I told him I was thinking of getting all new tie rod ends (inner and outer). He checked things and said that he really didn't think that was the problem. He thinks there's something amiss inside the rack.

However, I don't think this is right, since I don't feel any odd resistance or catches while I steer. I think it's something else...like the tie rod ends.

Oh, and just so people don't start suggesting things...EVERYTHING ELSE IN THE FRONT SUSPENSION HAS BEEN REPLACED. So please, just focus on this issue: Do you know of Nissan racks going bad? And do you think this is a probable diagnosis??

Thanks!

Eric

Jeff Taylor
08-14-2002, 03:39 PM
I just picked up another rack from a junkyard today. The old rack in my '96 was leaking fluid from the passengers side..

...but of course, the car was purchased wrecked.

08-14-2002, 03:40 PM
There are some bushings that hold the steering rack in...perhaps those are worn and allowing the rack to clunk around a bit?

I know Energy Suspension makes Z32 steering rack bushings, and they look to be similar to the 240sx ones (one round bushing, one teardrop-shaped bushing) but I don't know if they're interchangeable.

Asad

uiuc240
08-14-2002, 03:48 PM
really? where are those at? i didn't see anything like that. maybe that's the problem! argh. thanks asad!

well i'll be damned!!! i see them in the FSM in the exploded view. i'll have to check those. maybe that's the issue and not the other stuff!!!

do you agree that changing out the tie rod ends wouldn't be a bad idea though? i just hate spending money if i don't need to.

Eric

08-14-2002, 03:53 PM
One is right next to where the steering column meets the rack, the other is on the other side of the rack.

Check this out:
http://www.carfiche.com/s13/4/e07.gif
48376 and 48377 ...

Edit: I was just cross-checking the Z32 and S13 parts fiches, and it turns out that while they have different part #'s for the bushings, they both list the same alternate part # for the round bushing (54444-66U10). Even though the same isn't the case for the teardrop bushing, I'd say there's a good chance that they're the same too...

Asad

08-14-2002, 04:01 PM
I'd say the tie rod ends couldn't hurt...they should be pretty cheap.

Asad

uiuc240
08-14-2002, 04:07 PM
well, i was going to do inner and outer...that's about $120 total, plus $140 for all the install. i'm having the shop do it at the same time i get my alignment...which is another $80. this is getting pricey, quick! and the problem is, if i really do need a new rack, i should probably skip the inner tie rod ends...as i think those come with a new rack. what would you do, asad?

Eric

1500cc
08-14-2002, 06:39 PM
Your best bet is to try and located a Power Steering shop, there's one in Miami, (PS System) that will rebuild the rack with a one year warranty for $90. I thought my rack was leaking too, but it ended up being the pump which I had rebuilt for $135 installed.

RDM_II
08-14-2002, 10:40 PM
The Z32 rack bushings will work fine on S13/S14 also. If you want to go a little less stiff, Nissan Motorsports is now carrying their rigid rack bushings as well. The Nismo Japan part numbers are different, but they've been tried and go in fine.

08-15-2002, 02:18 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small[/img]In reply to:</font><hr />
well, i was going to do inner and outer...that's about $120 total, plus $140 for all the install. i'm having the shop do it at the same time i get my alignment...which is another $80. this is getting pricey, quick! and the problem is, if i really do need a new rack, i should probably skip the inner tie rod ends...as i think those come with a new rack. what would you do, asad?

[/QUOTE]
I hope that Asad would check his tie rod ends for play before replacing them. To do this, jack the car off the ground, grab a tire at 3 &amp; 9 o'clock, and try to rock it back and forth. If there's any play, have somebody do the rocking for you while you're looking at the suspension/steering assemblies. You should be able to see where the slack is. If no play, then there's no reason to replace the TR ends.

YellowS14
08-15-2002, 09:28 AM
ok since this topic is steering id like to add a question of my own

every now and then(3 times in 2 yrs) when i push my car and have the steering wheel hard over(i dont think lock, but fairly far) the wheel will stick for a fraction of a second, just enough to scare me, but then its ok, it just freezes, like its stuck or something.....

ive never had it looked at because its nothing i can duplicate on demand for a tech, but id like to know whats going on....any ideas?

Thanks
YellowS14 http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/smirk.gif

ps sorry to get off the main topic, but i didnt want to start a new one just for this

uiuc240
08-15-2002, 10:06 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small[/img]In reply to:</font><hr />
To do this, jack the car off the ground, grab a tire at 3 &amp; 9 o'clock, and try to rock it back and forth. If there's any play, have somebody do the rocking for you while you're looking at the suspension/steering assemblies. You should be able to see where the slack is. If no play, then there's no reason to replace the TR ends.

[/QUOTE]

Well, I've done this 3 separate times, and the guy at the shop just did it too. There's no play. However, the tie rod ends look old and worn, and when I recently replaced all my other suspension parts, they were very stiff and hard to move. The FSM calls for a pulling force of ~20 lbs...and they seemed stiffer than that.

I am starting to get very frustrated at this point, since it's going to totally suck to put in new tie rods and still have the clunk. That will royally piss me off.

Oh, and by the way, the rack is NOT leaking, steering feel is smooth, and there is no abnormal play in the steering. I would think if the rack was messed up internally, at the very least, the steering motion would be jerky/jumpy/sketchy. Don't you?

Eric