PDA

View Full Version : turn off the car, engine dies down like fuel cut

planb
08-14-2002, 05:58 PM
I pretty much dont even know where to start on this one. When I turn off the ignition, my engine (sr20det) doesnt turn off like normal, it bogs and sputters then finally dies as if I have a fuel cut switch. Also, after my car is cut off, or even if i turn the key to ON position, then back to ACC, my relay box in the engine bay makes a loud BUZZING sound for about 4 seconds. its very, very odd, and pretty loud. Im really stumped on that one. They arent major problems, but are starting to get on my nerves. http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/smirk.gif

uiuc240
08-15-2002, 10:22 AM
Dude! Same thing! Like dieseling??? Like you turn it off and it just stumbles until it shuts of about 2 seconds later? Oh, I hope someone has a good answer for this. I have the same relay buzz every now and then too!

Eric

NY S13 SR
08-15-2002, 11:53 AM
Sounds like ignition wiring or turbo timer related problems to me. The ECU power stays on for 3 seconds after shutting off the key, that is why the engine dies like that - the fuel pump is cut off after 3 seconds. Check timer wiring, and main ignition power wires up by the battery. Something is getting 12v after the key is off that shouldn't be. Also make sure the blue ECU plug is tight.

uiuc240
08-15-2002, 01:02 PM
i don't have a turbo timer. but i'll check the ignition wiring. any idea why i might not have a working CEL or Oil light on the dash? the wiring is fine from the ECU...i redid them this weekend.

Eric

**DONOTDELETE**
08-15-2002, 02:00 PM
Same as mines...I just redid all my wires the other day as well and my ecu is plugged in tight. I don't have a timer either.

uiuc240
08-15-2002, 02:03 PM
i'm wondering if it could be exhaust leak related...i also think i might have a boost/vacuum leak...have to make a tester this weekend.

Eric

planb
08-18-2002, 07:11 PM
Well, I remember when I installed my turbo timer I wasnt too sure about the wiring. Ill check that out as well as the ignition wires near the battery. Thanks for the input Jeff!!!!!!

edit: hmm... its not my turbo timer. still does it with my ignition hooked up normally.