PDA

View Full Version : HKS Intercooler fitment issues prob, any thoughts?

Hollywood
08-15-2002, 12:03 AM
I have an s13 HKS FMIC, on a s14 with an s13 blactop SR. The HKS IC is the biggest of all SR intercoolers from what I understand, very big in RL.

Currently my new hurdle is that the HKS FMIC has some serious fitment issues on my s14. I had to cut some of my
bumper brackets that hold the bumper to the car on the sides. I can no longer use the main bumper bracket. My top bumper holder will no longer fit anymore either. The IC mounts diagonally, pointing downwards with the HKS IC brackets. So far I will not be able to mount my bumper.

It looks like I will need to make all new brackets to make this fit properly, but still will loose some bumper support in the process.

phase2
08-15-2002, 01:09 AM
Food for thought, HKS Type-S makes 2 version i/c. One for 180SX pop up light and one for Silvia front end. Could be an issue depending on which kit you got. Most people opt for the kit for the pop up lights.

Eitherway, haven't really installed a S13 i/c on S14 with S13 SR yet, so can't help you there.

I think Jspec S145 is running a S13 Greddy VSPL with a S13 SR.

Hollywood
08-15-2002, 01:25 AM
As far as the piping is concerned it fits 100% fine, but the IC does not.

Thanks anyways Wayne.

johnathan_berlin
08-15-2002, 02:02 AM
foxcolt put a s13 FMIC on his S14 with s13blacktop and everything fit pretty good except that the bottom of the IC hangs about a 1/2inch below the bottom of the bumper....this is not a problem at all but he probably got the FMIC for a s13 coupe from end....btw his FMIC is a Greddy VSPL

KAkiller
08-15-2002, 03:28 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small[/img]In reply to:</font><hr />
Food for thought, HKS Type-S makes 2 version i/c. One for 180SX pop up light and one for Silvia front end.

[/QUOTE]

This is basically correct, HKS has different designs for the Silvia front end and the 180sx front end for all of there intercooler types: S, R and GT. But they acctually offer 4 versions of the S-Type Intercoolers for the 13 chassis.
- 180sx front end w/ mild steel pipes
- 180sx front end w/ Aluminum pipes
- Silvia front end w/ mild steel pipes
- Silvia front end w/ Aluminum pipes
* Note the S type kits w/ Aluminum pipes are not listed on the HKS USA website, but do exist and are available in the US.

</font><blockquote><font class="small[/img]In reply to:</font><hr />
he probably got the FMIC for a s13 coupe from end....btw his FMIC is a Greddy VSPL

[/QUOTE]

Greddy does not offer kits specifically for the different front ends. Same with Blitz and Apex.
http://sr20.hybrids.jp/tech_specs/greddy_ic/greddy_ic.html

johnathan_berlin
08-15-2002, 03:34 AM
my friends FMIC is different than mine...he has s13FMIC on s14 with S13 engine......i have s14FMIC on S14 with S14 engine.....i know the final cold pipes are different for the s13 to s14 but his intercooler has different mounting points than mine...due to the different mounting points his sits lower......

Hollywood
08-15-2002, 10:09 AM
Mine has powdercoated aluminum piping. It's the one that is good for 450HP, that's all I know.

But looks like I will have to take some pics for you guys tonight to show you. Then it will give you guys a better idea of what I'm saying.

**DONOTDELETE**
08-15-2002, 02:03 PM
Well the simple fact is that the intercooler kit you bought is not for the chassie you have. You will have to make custome brackets if you want it to sit. Remember I/C kits are more chassie specific than they are engine specific.