PDA

View Full Version : Wiring issues with 180sx Kouki Taillights?

Nollan
08-15-2002, 04:36 PM
Are these plug and play? Or do I have to do any rewiring? I think I remembered reading somewhere the harnesses match up but the wires don't. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

BTW, YES I have done many searches on here and on NICO, so no flames please.

Nollan
92 PS13, dang near stock
97 SE-R, very not stock, 13.3 @ 106mph

uiuc240
08-15-2002, 04:59 PM
wiring matches up, plugs themselves do not. you have to splice the wires from the old plugs on to the new plugs.

Eric

Super13
08-15-2002, 09:39 PM
hey if and when u splice your wires can u post a pic, i dont have my lights yet but i would like a peek at them, also others might gain in the attained knowledge

**DONOTDELETE**
08-16-2002, 11:39 AM
Well, the harnesses are similar. Same shape, different sizes, so if they were the same you could just plug them togther (all the contacts line up). When I did mine I just cliped the wires one at a time and spliced together just as they would have fit on the harnesses. Pretty easy really. Just don't cut them all at once, then you're on your own. If you search around, I think clearconers.com (are they still in busisness?)or someone made a harness adapter to make the two work without any cutting.

Ironically the front half clear lights are plug and play.

My other tip which I read later in the FSM, is to heat the gaskets before removal and before installation to 180 F degrees (would have helped a lot on the 45 degree day I did mine).

uiuc240
08-16-2002, 11:55 AM
don't have a H/B, but my buddy ^^^^ does, and he just posted. Steve, do you still have those pics anywhere? I could host them for you.

Eric

KidZelda
08-16-2002, 12:29 PM
Rather easy.

1st Color is the wire, 2nd is the stripe

Location Light Car

Reverse lights
Black Black
Green - White Green/White
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Inside set
Black - Black
Green - White Red/Blue
Green - Yellow Red/Green
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Turn signal
Green - Green/Yellow (Right side if looking AT the
outside FROM the rear)
Green - Green/Black (Left)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Outside set
Black - Black
Green - White Red/Blue
Green - Yellow Red/Green

I would get an extra set of connectors and solder with the 180sx tail lights, so it's plug&play with the stock tail light harness.