PDA

View Full Version : $600 for FMU what should I get?

**DONOTDELETE**
08-16-2002, 07:39 PM
I have $600 to spend of Fuel manegment system ie. injectors fuel pump, S-AFC.. etc.. what should I get.. I plan on running up to 18PSI thanks..

ThanatosZ
08-16-2002, 07:52 PM
Well, 600 dollars isn't going to get you a complete fuel management system. First, what motor are you going to be using? Second what's your goal "hp", and third.. do you want a daily driver? or is it more of a race car? or inbetween? You should probably use the search and read up on other ppl's opinions on "fuel management" and find out all the costs involved.

Goodluck

LateZ

**DONOTDELETE**
08-16-2002, 08:05 PM
well I could probably do $800 for fuel management Iam looking at a street monster.. run 15+ psi at the track and like 7 daily driven... What fuel management should I invest in that has the most verstility and function.

**DONOTDELETE**
08-16-2002, 08:11 PM
BTW Iam useing a KA24DE w/ forged pistons and rods

ThanatosZ
08-16-2002, 08:12 PM
Well, If you have a laptop computer, you could look into the Greddy E-manage system. It's roughly 379 for the box, and 100-200'sh for harnesses+software. You can program injector sizes and adjust fuel curve. It also has the option of venting a BOV. Or you could go with a s-afc. I kinda like the E-manage idea, but Im probably going to side with a s-afc.. it takes up less space. Again, what motor/turbo will you be adding this fuel management too?

LateZ

**DONOTDELETE**
08-16-2002, 08:31 PM
using a KA24DE With forged pistons rods and a T3/T4 Turbo .63

jOeHaCk98
08-16-2002, 08:38 PM
Does the laptop have to always be in the car, or is it just for tuning. I have some spare laptops i can use. I doubt you would need something really fast.

DaveEEE
08-16-2002, 08:42 PM
That'd suck if you needed the laptop in the car...

Racer at stoplight: Come on, lets go, on green
You: Wait a minute please, let me hook up my cool laptop and tune my fuel management. W00t!

240zx
08-16-2002, 09:18 PM
Why not go with the JWT ECU. It seems to be the Fuel management of choice here.

AZ_Dave
08-16-2002, 10:14 PM
I've always wondered...how much is it to have a JWT ecu reprogramed?? Cuz in the future I was thinking of piecing together a fuel management system...first buy the ecu, etc.

Dave

ftrceo
08-16-2002, 11:11 PM
well I just found this out by calling JWT the other day... it is $600 for your initial program and $100 for every reprogram after that. so if you can get a NA JWT ECU for cheap then buy it and send it to JWT and have it programmed to Turbo specs for just $100. also there is a 1 month turnaround on the ECUs so get a spare or plan ahead.

**DONOTDELETE**
08-17-2002, 11:57 AM
With a JWT Ecu Programed for Turbo W/ 550cc injectors new fuel pump, presure regulator witch I already have. would that be sufficent? also with a electronic boost controler will the JWT Ecu be able to handle to varation in boost and compensate with good fuel mixture? say from 7psi to 18psi"

should I get bigger injectors then 550cc? what safe hp can I push with those injectors?

asad
08-17-2002, 04:03 PM
Search -- your questions have all been answered multiple times.

Asad

**DONOTDELETE**
08-17-2002, 08:31 PM
This post barely qualifies to be in advanced http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/shocked.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
08-17-2002, 08:43 PM
then awanser my question if its so easy...

**DONOTDELETE**
08-18-2002, 12:27 AM
Dude do you have the sligthtest idea how much fuel it takes to run 18psi on a KAT.
You will need:
-fuel pump
-egt,afr gueages
-injectors
-jwt fuel rail
-fpr
-jwt ecu
-dyno time
-probably more
-could go with a standalone

Whoops you are out of money after the first two things. http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/crazy.gif

pasha
08-18-2002, 08:53 PM
as mentioned here you will need all your money for an ecu.. and then you need all the other stuff mentioned in the post above.. your realy have no clue as to howmuch money is needed to run that psi on a ka. you would easily tripple the ammount you have.

**DONOTDELETE**
08-19-2002, 12:24 AM
Yup,

More HP means more $$$$!!!

I just spent $1500.00 on the SDS unit and prior to that a DIS-4, a boost controller, and a blowoff valve just for the stock S14 SR.

I bought the SDS for less hassle in upgrading and downtime. There are better FMUs out there, but the SDS programmer is much simpler and smaller than the laptop.

Nelson

**DONOTDELETE**
08-19-2002, 01:53 AM
what do u guys think of an AEM EMS system on a KA-T?

**DONOTDELETE**
08-19-2002, 02:24 PM
I have a 1:1 FPR..installed I also have A/F guage already installed. would a 300zx fuel pump be enough of a upgrade?

JWT ECU $500
300zx Fuel pump $75
RC 550cc injectors $400

with a variable boost controler with JWT ECU compensate for presure change? or is it pre programged for only one set psi?

YellowS14
08-19-2002, 02:41 PM
the reason your not getting the response your looking for is because theres soooo much info already in the old posts, we all get very sick of simple questions in this forum so they get unanswered, just take some time and read, after that then ask questions

just for a tip....your setup is missing easily another 600 in parts...

YellowS14

Adam, get ready to add another one to the "list" http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

asad
08-19-2002, 03:07 PM
The MAF reads AIRFLOW, and the ECU adds the correct amount of fuel for a given amount of air regardless of boost pressure.

Asad

ADAM HUTCHINSON
08-19-2002, 03:33 PM
yep..sounds like another list adder http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

though my list is faultering due to the fact i can't get final data on what caused the failures...i mean look at the nissan boards its full of SR/KA problems and i really can't find out if its just simple mistakes..or real engine failures...ohh well...
anyway..lots of boost and a cheap fuel system..makes for a good list entry though http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

YellowS14
08-19-2002, 03:48 PM
if you go by that then theres probably very few that are engine related, mostly tuning probs, theres the rare spun bearing, floated valve or oil starve, but mostly too much boost not enough fuel, or bad tuning, anyway, i should know soon how i fare

YellowS14
hours till turn key time

**DONOTDELETE**
08-19-2002, 04:42 PM
So as a good setup would be

JWT ECU
Cobra MAF
550CC Inejectors
300zx fuel pump
JWT Fuel rail

oh well Iam just gona have to budget $1200 for fuel management... its worth it..

jeremiah
08-20-2002, 01:33 AM
JWT=blaahh. if you going to blow that kind of money might as well go with standalone. Plus lots of other tuners can tune ecu's. My friend had his 300zx reprogrammed for like 100 bucks. And the guy who did it socketed his board for future upgrades. When he decided to go with 550's the guy only charged him like 4 bucks for the chip and sent it to him.

You can do the fuel rail for half the price of the jw one.
You can probably get a walbro pump cheaper than a 300zx pump.
Most standalones don't have to have a mafs, so youll save there too.

so i would say its not worth it. maybe its just me. ill probably get flamed for doggin on jwt too. blah.