PDA

View Full Version : Yokohama AVS dB's

**DONOTDELETE**
08-16-2002, 11:14 PM
Well I have heard some very different things about these tires. I work at a major tire company and after about 10-15k miles on these tires these seem to have a major flaw and they get EXTREMELY NOISY from what SEVERAL customers have said. SOO much so that they are taking these tires off of their cars and trying to replace them with other tires. I still have not driven on these tires and I really liked them, but it seems like Yokohama needs to do something about their tires, maybe release a new version of the tire or something. I am not sure how the performance of the tire is. Does anybody know how the tire is? Performance wise? Wet Weather (Traction) wise? Noise wise?

Tim '95 SE

Q45tech
09-15-2002, 09:33 PM
The noise cancellation [effect] is a function of tread depth and flat level wear. Many cars allow toe squirm and the tread blocks are not rigid enough so they develop heel toe block wear [like many other directional tires]......bacon frying sound.

Tires are only tested for 8,000 miles maximum to determine published parameters.......the fallacy in using new tires [tests] to make a decision for your particular car.

If you want a tire that is [relatively] quiet at 25,000 miles look to Michelin Pilot series [or MXV4] in non directional H rating....not the best stopper or handler but stays round and quiet.

LukeP
10-04-2002, 02:08 PM
I would actually rather not sell them because I do not want to here the noise complaints in 5-7 thousand miles from an upset customer

Q45tech
10-05-2002, 08:05 AM
After about 15k every tire I've used in the past 12 years [240,000 miles] develops some fault [usually noise or gets out of round--excessive radial force]...On a stressful heavy car like the Q45 only Michelins [non directionals] seem to hold up beyond this!
The Firestone SZ50 and the newer SZ50EP seem to be about the best in long term noise suppression on a directional tire......in fact the SZ50 currently in use have almost 17k.

With directional tires you have to flip and remount the tires when the heel toe wear starts and every 5-8k thereafter plus the usual 90 day front/rear/front rotation.

You get what you pay for.

Actuallly I've used 3 sets of AVS Intermediates [April thru November or when ever the first 40F morning] and 1 set each of Michelin Sport XGTV & Firestone SZ50 as summer tires, Michelin V4 and Pilot H4 [3 sets] as winter tires, plus an assortment of test tires: Dunlop 5000, Yok SZ4, BStone 730, etc all of which were given away after 5,000 miles.....as these supposed great tires destroyed themselves quickly.

If noise is a concern stay away from directional tires which cannot be rotated to equalize the wear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SilviaS14
10-09-2002, 10:47 PM
Tire noise? Of all the things to complain about..