PDA

View Full Version : dunlop fm901

one8hatch
08-23-2002, 06:26 PM
hey, i'd just like to hear peoples opinion's about the Dunlop
SP Sport FM901 tires? for a 195/50-15 tires.com has em for $58 free shipping. anyone running them?
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/product/tires/dunhva.l.jpg

Air Dorifuto
08-23-2002, 10:43 PM
All my friends are telling me that this tire is awesome. Even Moto from Club4ag and Sileightymania (Benson) really like them. They say that these tires are better than the W10's and Kumho Ecsta's in everyway. I was deciding between this tires and the Kumho's but I choose the Kumho's because I didn't hear anything about the FM's at that time. I regret that now, but oh well.

BTW, you should probably have posted this in the Tires forum...but then again, I don't think much people look there.

- Henry

**DONOTDELETE**
08-23-2002, 10:58 PM
Ok this is weird I posted and no post????????

Anyhow I have them and I would highly recomend them, tons of grip and a good feel. Even in rain they feel tight but obviously a light end RWD will brake traction if you want it to. Easy on the wallet and great on the car. Much better then my old yokos h4

Wojtek

Ant240
08-24-2002, 12:04 AM
I think they're a newer version of the w10. the w10 were discontinued, which is why I have those in the rear and Kumho's in the front. I think they're cheap cause they just came out and there's no real demand for em cause no one knows how they will perform. price might go up in a few months so it's best to get a set as soon as possible. I wonder why they discontinued the w10 though. the fm901 has the same center tread as the w10.

AD
08-24-2002, 06:23 AM
The Dunlop FM-901 has been around for quite some time in Asia if I'm not mistaken, and has a very good reputation out there. Whether or not the tires are made from the exact same compound I wouldn't know, but the tread pattern seems to be the same.
The replacement of the W10s (which I've never had a chance to try) is probably a result of relatively poor sales; I don't think the W10s were too popular with the rest of the crowd (i.e. not sileightymania or motoP). Reading reviews on tirerack it seemed like they weren't appreciated-- they were loud and didn't (apparently) perform well in the rain. Coupled with low treadwear (200) made for a poor-selling tire, or so I'd imagine.
I have a set of 901s on my 240 right now, but have only put a dozen or so miles on them so I can't really give much of an opinion.

pchio
08-24-2002, 08:34 AM
I have them for 2 months already, and I have ran them on the convention track event. Compare to my previous tires Kumho, the FM901 grips a lot better and VERY responsive.
And the most amazed me is, even I ran though the whole 20 mins on the track, it didn't even lose grip at all due to high heat, which kumho lost the grip in only 3 laps.

The downside of this tires are it doesn't protect the rims very well from curb and their sidewalls are really soft, so it's not an ideal tire for drifting. But, it gives easier control at limits.

PS: I have seen some japanese maganize ads, these tires are selling for about US $160 each for 17" in Japan which I bought mine here for only US $105!!!

-Pat

orion
08-24-2002, 09:38 PM
"Compare to my previous tires Kumho, the FM901 grips a lot better and VERY responsive.

And the most amazed me is, even I ran though the whole 20 mins on the track, it didn't even lose grip at all due to high heat, which kumho lost the grip in only 3 laps.

The downside of this tires are it doesn't protect the rims very well from curb and their sidewalls are really soft, so it's not an ideal tire for drifting. But, it gives easier control at limits..." - pchio

I agree 100% except that I feel they have a sh!tload of rim protection in a 225/50-16 on 7.5inch wide wheels - They stick out over 3/4 of an inch on both sides and have a wide protector band.

I would highly reccomend these over the Kumhos, and for the price, you can't find a better tire.

Only complaint is feathered tread blocks on the edges, even with 40psi in all of 'em - but that was without any significant negative camber, and primarily in the front. Better with -1.5 or so...

Later - Brian

SLoWaSs13
08-24-2002, 10:39 PM
i just mounted some fm901 tires on my rear 18in rims, a pair of 225/40 on 7.5 in width rims, they stick out over the rim like a pervious member said, plenty of rim protection. i still have a pair of my old parada tires up front ad when i took my car to the local college to test out the new tires the fm901 stuck like glue, the parada gave out and i had some nasty understeer, im gettin fm901s up front eventually. i paided 130 each for my fm901s http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
08-24-2002, 11:29 PM
Formula FM901 (known as "Digi-Tire" in Japan) is actually the model change of W10. That's why it looks similar in many ways. The unique thing about this particular tire is that more you drive, it gains more traction/grip. The tread is v-shaped like this:

(ignore the dots. I had to do this because I have to fill up the space by putting some kind of character in. Somehow putting a space is ignored as if it wasn't there)

..........__..........
.____/....\____/
..___/......\___/

Not only it's good for going in straight line, but it can handle good amount of cornering g-force.

just my 2 cent

By the way, I heard U.S. is planning to bring bunch of tires that's not released here soon. So maybe you'll see Advan Neova's at Discount Tires someday. Or was this already discussed before?

240Lunatic
08-25-2002, 02:18 AM
Actually most types of tires have a wider base than peak. My Pirellis have, them, my old Falkens had them, and my Michelin Pilots had them. Very common.

Sean

**DONOTDELETE**
08-25-2002, 03:59 AM
I pretty much based on the article I read when that tire came out in Japan. So I guess at that time, it was relatively new. It's pretty much same with anything. Someone comes up with something and everyone starts doing the same thing. But I think they originally came up with the idea.