PDA

View Full Version : S13 Deal of the century....maybe not

240TurboHMP
08-24-2002, 08:13 AM
A couple months ago i picked up a 91 se coupe for $300, they(the nissan dealer i work at) said it had a blown engine. The car has the works, power everything, sunroof, HUD, SE wheels. I finnaly got the time to look at it last weekend. The car would crank but not start, turns out the rotor in the distributor was all farked up and the end gear on the distributor was a little worn too. Put in a whole new distributor and it started up and ran just fine. So i was thinking i just got an awsome car for $300 bucks. So i take it down the street and blast it in 2nd gear and it shuts off. Pulled the cap off and you can turn the rotor 360 degrees, looks like the gear that it rides on is shot. My question is, how much of a biotch is it to put that new gear in???

Esporque
08-24-2002, 10:22 AM
SOHC has a worm gear that slides over the crank snout.

*Edited again... Asad is correct the DOHC timing gear has more to it... *

asad
08-24-2002, 10:36 AM
Alex, is that true on the KA24DE as well? He said the car is a '91.

Asad

240TurboHMP
08-24-2002, 11:05 AM
Im pretty sure that the DE is more invovled then that, thats why i love my SOHC. The DE has 2 chains, which makes it twice as fun

Super13
08-24-2002, 02:01 PM
could u help us out and do tell about how someone who doesnt work at a nissan dealership could get one of those once a century deals?

240TurboHMP
08-24-2002, 02:39 PM
Well, i have been pretty lucky, i got my other 240 (90 hatchback) for $500 and all it needed was a distributor. My brother, when he worked at the same dealership got a 300zxTT(free) motor that they were gonna scrap because they thought it was bad, turns out it was just one turbo. The trick is to get a job at a dealership with a bunch of morons and wait for them to miss diagnose a problem, then swoop in for the kill http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

Super13
08-24-2002, 03:08 PM
here here, good call, ill keep that in mind!

240TurboHMP
08-31-2002, 07:48 AM
Well i finnaly got my gear in from nissan. We took off the front top cover and had a look around. We immediatly noticed that the bolt that hold on the distributor gear and the intermediate gear was loose. This was causing the gear to move up and down verticaly and loose contact with the distributor. Someone had just recently did the chain in the car and forgot to tighten it up. Bottom line, i got and awsome car that only needed a bolt tightened for $300