PDA

View Full Version : Fount out my "RICEY EXHAUST SOUND" problem

hssaini
08-28-2002, 07:06 PM
Hey all,

As some of you know from my previous post regarding the "RICEY EXHAUST NOISE" that i was getting when accelerating has now have taken an ugly turn.

I went to a welding shop and found out what exactly the problem was. The couple of cracks that were on the downpipe were just barely scratches and not cracks.

It turns out that i am leaking from the manifold itself. I also found out that i am leaking one of my seals all the way back by the end of the tranny(couple of drops of fluid).

I am sure i prolly have to take it out to fix the leak on the manifold and the tranny seal.

Anybody with suggestions as where to get it done from? Not a regular shop i would think? How hard would it be to do if i was to do it with my friends?

btw S14 SR, so the guy didn't wanna touch the manifold at all.
Comments/Suggestions are welcome
TIA

RINKU

HyperTek
08-28-2002, 07:10 PM
If your advanced enough to have put in an sr, then I would think that your problem wouldnt be hard..... I dont know, I never did anything like that, I need to check out the heat shield on my stock KA anyways... It rattles.

YellowS14
08-28-2002, 10:33 PM
where in the mani? head, or turbo?, if its the head just get the s15 gasket and do it yourself, a good weekend job if you can turn a wrench,

the tranny....nissan should be able to diagnose and fix it, its pretty much the same as the ka

08-29-2002, 01:14 AM
Rear tranny seal is easy to replace, any shop can do it. Remove six bolts, and the driveshaft comes out. Pry the old seal out, push the new one in. Reinstall the driveshaft + 6 bolts. Done.

I don't quite understand, though, why a welding shop cares that you have a S14 SR. Do you mean that it's an auto shop that also does welding? Because you can take just about anything to a welding shop (you'll need to remove/reinstall it yourself), and they'll happily weld it, if it's actually weldable.

Phatty
08-29-2002, 05:25 AM
What year S14 SR is it? we have the S14 which is up till 1996, and the S14a which is 1996 on (slanty headlights), the earlier of the two models had a common problem of cracking exhaust manifolds, this was fixed on the S14a. the manifolds are interchangable.

hssaini
08-29-2002, 07:17 AM
Hi all,
thanks for the input....

Sorry, roadrunner is down since last night so i couldn't get up on here. Doing this from work now.

I am 99% sure its between one of these three places that's leaking.
1) Engine block and exhaust manifold
2) Exhaust manifold and turbocharger
3) Turbocharger and downpipe.

I am leaning towards 2 and 3 more than anything. With just the engine idling. I can put my hand down there and feel the luke warm air. Not sure if its #2 or # 3 from above. They are really close together and it gets hot really quickly.

Anyways, i will prolly gonna take out the manifold and the turbocharger and replace the above 3 gaskets. Now, i am wondering if you can tell me where to get the gaskets from? My motor is 96.5 and my 240 is from 95.

Also, where can i get the tranny seal from?

Thanks guys and gals

RINKU

hssaini
08-29-2002, 07:41 AM
One more question....

i believe i can replace the rear oil seal of the tranny while its still on the car? is that correct? Part # for the oil seal?????

Part #'s for the 3 gaskets in above post????

thanks
RINKU

Drivend
08-29-2002, 07:57 AM
Sure you can replace the rear seal in the trans with it in the car. Pull the driveshaft, take a pry bar making sure not to contact the race, and pop that sucker out. To reinstall get a nice clean peice of wood, start the new seal in the race straight, put the wood against the seal and tap it a couple of time. Check regularly to make sure the seal is going in straight. When you think you have it straight smack that thing in there, still using the wood to prevent damage to the new seal. Good Luck

MiamiGrinch240
08-29-2002, 11:59 AM
"If your advanced enough to have put in an sr, then I would think that your problem wouldnt be hard....."

hehe hey RINKU, didnt Rob and Vik put the SR in for you?

hssaini
08-29-2002, 12:58 PM
Kyle....

Yah VIK, his mechanic and couple of his other friends in Gainsville did it.

RINKU