PDA

View Full Version : Drift Footwork

Dorifto_PG
09-04-2002, 12:07 AM
Ok, I have come accross a slight dilema in my project S13 coupe plans. While SR hunting today, i came across an alternative to what I have been considering. My plans for suspension so far have been the following: GP SPorts full coilover system: $1500. Designed in part by Keichi Tsuchiya (Dorikin) yet NOT damping adjustable. Also was considering the Tein HE's, since they are popular, and not expensive, yet 16? way adjustable, and 8k, 6k. $1360.

However, today I was presented with some more options. At a place that imports clips and other japanese parts, there were suspension goodies that had come off the cars that had been cut. Such goodies consisted of Kei office spring, kg/mm springs, on GAB adjustable shocks. Also used coilovers that were some company I had never heard of, but Cusco solid pillow ball upper mounts and camber plates, F and R. Some had Tein springs. Basically it was a jumbled heap of suspension parts, that i could have full reign to mix/match and pull from. IE: i could have coilovers on JUST the rear, if i so chose. Also i can run super stiff antiroll and sway bars. Plus a Do Luck X-bar, and it will be a coupe, so light and stiff already. I will also have at least a 4 point cage. What I want to know is, to everyone who has driven hard on both types of suspension, what do you prefer or not like about each. I should mention that my drifting will be mostly on the street or in parking lots/industrial areas. Occasional touge runs, and every track event I can fit into a college schedule. (which isn't too many, not ot mention the small number of events for drifting here in the Southeast.)

Thank you for all your help.

p.s. the mix-match ghetto style will be only a couple hundred bucks, while the coilovers will both be about $1500.

halz
09-04-2002, 01:16 AM
I'm pretty sure in saying that any suspension won't last very long 'drifting' around in parking lots and streets..

If you're hell-bent on.. drifting.. You'll have to include an LSD in your plans; a priority more than any engine or strut/spring advancement.

I'm also having a hard time seeing 'Dorikin' putting his name to any sort of non-adjustable suspension.. that just doesn't make any sense..

I'd say, start your drifting endevours with a set of swaybars (and ofcourse, the LSD)

ruf4play
09-04-2002, 01:23 AM
The GP Sports coilovers are designed in collaboration with Kei Office - Tsuchiya-san's company. It has a replaceable bottom bracket that allows for huge amounts of camber (but will limit offsets and widths). It is NOT damping-adjustable. I'm still trying to figure out what spring rate they are. E-mail me if you want a price on them.

Dorifto_PG
09-04-2002, 02:54 AM
Haha, I know about LSDs and everything else suspension wise. I also know that it would be better to probably go with the coilovers, but for my purposes, and for the saved $$$, I wanted to know if the other options I was presented with would work just as well., I also have a very good histroy of drifting in my [sob] S14, however, this was not a "what do i need to do this?" type of question. it was more the pros-cons of springs and shocks vs. coilovers.

But anyway, i dont plan on "drifting around in parking lots" if that was intended in a sarcastic tone. I know i was vague, but that has no importance to my set-up question. I also know you had no idea that I am starting an Auto-X/Drift/Car Control club at GaTech, and we will be (in authorized parking lots) setting up cones and courses to drift/drive. You were clueless that this was my intention based on the info i gave, but do not assume everyone on FA that has a drifting question is some 15-year-old watching Initial D.

MATT_BACK_VASS
09-04-2002, 02:55 AM
why dont you mix and match and go with what you like, not with what some jabrone somewhere else likes.

ruf4play
09-04-2002, 03:21 AM
Cuz most people can't guess the correct spring/damping rate for a given application off the top of their head.

You could study what other companies are using in terms of spring rate, and hope that the dampers are tuned correctly and not blown. If you're on a budget, why not? If you want to spend some money, e-mail me. I've got a new set of S14 B6 to get rid of and/or anything else you could possibly want.

Kookz
09-04-2002, 11:56 PM
Haha, a question better answered by more drifters (R.I.P drift forum idea).

Dorifto has plenty of experience with drifting. Was the line about the suspension not lasting due to thinking he would crash? Irrelevant.

Personally, I would go with the mix and match...I know the dude will let you try them out first, and I would just go dial it in on a course GT Motorsports is using. If you find you're not happy with it, then you can spring for the big money coilovers. I'm sure it'll be better than the S14 with no suspension or LSD (which was still very well drifted btw). Save the money for a trip up here or insurance. Good luck with the club...are you joining 240s over Atlanta also?

Dorifto_PG
09-05-2002, 12:10 AM
Boner, the 240s over atlanta doesn't exactly officially exist. If that makes sense. Anyway, just cruising with Chris and some of the other guys. This would be a good topic for a drift forum. Anyway, thanks for the advise. I guess a couple hundred bones is worth it, and if i can't stand it, I will go with the coilovers [bling] I am amazed at what the S14 put up with. [censored], with shredded enough tires, it would lose traction like none other.

Since we can maybe hijack my original thread into a more general discussion about drift set ups i can tell you this: it was a great thing to learn how to drift on a non-lsd stock suspension car. It is much harder compared to my friends S14 with crappy lowering springs and shocks. Since it was harder to control, I feel that I progressed a lot through the S14. Ie, I know what to do in sticky situations now, adn if i encounter them again, I will be to my advantage. Anyway, whoever says that you cannot spin both tires in a drift without LSD has never doen it. Remember when I had sparks from my belts flying that one night...hehe.

p.s. what happened to that video, did BFink or Beardsley tape over it. Or does Diforio have it?

PongAtari
09-05-2002, 12:22 AM
Drift/AutoX club?? Damn, I wish my school had one of those.. good luck with it!

Dorifto_PG
09-05-2002, 12:30 AM
Thanks. Im in the planning stages, I want to propose it, and have all the loose ends worked out, so its not like we are just a bunch of guys that want an excuse to flog our cars. noooo, that has nooothing to do with it...Yeah, im sure your school allows people to start clubs. Ill keep you posted on how it goes, but just find some people that are interested, and make it happen. The school will fund it, too. Well, most likely.