PDA

View Full Version : Stoplight racing

240sx
02-08-2000, 11:16 PM
I can't wait till the roads dry-up and I get my car out of the garage...

Just an older (89) 240sx as the name states.
I have two friends that own civics. One is a 99 Si-R and the other is the Si. Both Canadian Cars, so the Si-R in Canada is to my knowledge, the Si In the U.S.

I know I can beat the guy in his Si, and I will be betting a nice wad of cash too.

Should I even think of racing the Si-R or just laugh and say, nah later? All 3 cars are stock, cause I'm a poor high school student.

Happy Driving...

noelsaw
02-08-2000, 11:57 PM
Canda has an Si-R? Is it like the Japanese Si-R by any chance? If it is your 240SX might have some problems.

You're lucky though that you have a rear wheel drive car, you can handle that car unlike any front wheel drive car.

GTR
02-09-2000, 12:25 AM
the canadian si-r is the equivalent to the us market's si. those things are rather quick for the price theyre going for (17-18k here) though i dont know how it does against an 89 240.

noelsaw
02-09-2000, 10:01 AM
I think your 89 240 has about 140bhp with it's KA24E (2.4L SOHC). The Si has about probably about 115bhp. If you both have 5 spds it might be a draw since the 240SX is a bit heavier and depends on how well maintained your car has been.

mcervantes
02-09-2000, 11:00 AM
Just thought this was funny:
A few months back my brother bought a 1967 289 Mustang. He was so proud of it until he raced my sister in her 89 240SX.... Lets just say we haven't let him live that one down yet! Heheheh http://www.freshalloy.com/

noelsaw
02-09-2000, 04:15 PM
Ah, I forgot to differentiate the difference between the Civic (hatchback) Si and the newer Civic (coupe) Si. Yes, the Civic (coupe) Si indeed does have 160 bhp.

The lower horsepower figure I meant was for the Civic hatchback now dead in the US.

240sx
02-09-2000, 07:01 PM
Yes Canada does have the Si-R, its nothing like the Si-R in Japan I beleive, it has 160 HP and 11 ft lbs of torque. THast going to be a good race with my 240. The other car, the Si has lke 127 HP and like 101 Ft Lbs of torque. My Car is just a slight bit heavier than bothe the Civics, as they are both coupes. I'll post what happens when I race the little Honda-Boys.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by noelsaw:
Canda has an Si-R? Is it like the Japanese Si-R by any chance? If it is your 240SX might have some problems.

You're lucky though that you have a rear wheel drive car, you can handle that car unlike any front wheel drive car.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

**DONOTDELETE**
07-28-2000, 06:50 AM
Put in your car my nick! ? (HonduhToyoKiller). http://www.freshalloy.com/

JonCarson
07-28-2000, 06:56 PM
Say what?

**DONOTDELETE**
07-28-2000, 07:42 PM
A few years back I wasted a few GM F-bodies in my fathers '92 Q45. If you manually selected 1st gear and held it to redline, that car would scooooooot off the line. It was funny seeing peoples faces when that car smoked 'em. Too bad the current Q can't do that. Come April though..... That's another story. I am going to go looking for a race...
-John

**DONOTDELETE**
08-08-2000, 09:30 AM
About the Si and Si-R. Canada has 3 coupes right now.

1) http://www.freshalloy.com/ The Si-R is the 160 HP Vtec (Intake + Exhaust) equipped model. (Same as US Si)
2) http://www.freshalloy.com/ The Si is a 127 HP (Vtec on the Intake) equipped model.
3) http://www.freshalloy.com/ The DX is the 106 HP (no vtec, I believe it is just the base civic engine) equipped model.

**DONOTDELETE**
08-08-2000, 11:19 AM
Evil: I think the SI (EX) has VTEC on both intake and exhaust, the difference is that it only has one cam (SOHC). I might be wrong though.

**DONOTDELETE**
08-12-2000, 10:51 AM
For reasons known only to Honda, the US and Canadian Civic model line-ups do not match. Here's a rough coupe breakdown from with HP figures from Honda Canada's 2000 brochure:

US......Canadian.......HP/Cams

DX ----&gt;DX -----------&gt;106/SOHC no Vtec
EX ----&gt;Si -----------&gt;127/SOHC Vtec
Si ----&gt;Si-R ---------&gt;160/DOHC Vtec (B series motor)

Our hatchbacks (CX or DX), and sedans (LX,SE or EX) all come only with the 106 hp mill.

As much as I love 240's, if your friend knows how to drive, I'd place my cash on the Si-R. Even the "much lighter than a 240" Si could pose a problem. Sorry! My 240 has the DOHC 16 valver, and it's no bullet either, at least until you get up to highway speeds, then it hit the governor while still climbing hard. Off the line, it'll hold it's own, but that's it.

**DONOTDELETE**
08-17-2000, 09:04 AM
Yeah, your right Yannick. The Canadian Si is only a sohc vtec.

The Si-R (Candian) is amusing though. It may be fast off the line, but on the highways it runs out of steam. Apparently it runs close to 3500 rpm, in 5th, at 100 KPH (62 MPH). If the 240sx was racing it on the highway, my money would be on the Nissan. I guess Hondas feel sporty because they are geared short.

**DONOTDELETE**
08-22-2000, 08:55 PM
why don't you race a prelude! my car revs at a rocksteady 3500rpm at 70 in fith but is far from out of steam.

i'm not trying to start a flame war but you guys need to ease off the handa bashing. i came to this site because i also like nissans and wanted to see if i can learn more about these cars, especially the skyline.

yes in japan nissans rule the streets but those are turbo silvias and skylines. those cars are awsome beast with looks and performance but that is irrelivant here in the states if we are comparing stock to stock cars of THE U.S.

**DONOTDELETE**
08-22-2000, 09:09 PM
oops. i forgot about u.s.'s 300zx. it is also a bad a** car that i am actually thinking about buying. hondas (acura)nsx-t has 290hp, does 1/4 mile in 13.5, and 0-60 in 5 sec. the 300zx, on the other hand, has 300hp, does 1/4 mile in 15.0 and 0-60 in 6.5.
the s2000 is only a 4 banger and does 1/4 in 14.0 sec and 0-60 in 5.3 with 240 hp. put a turbo on that baby and see what happens!

**DONOTDELETE**
08-24-2000, 11:39 AM
I think it's important to compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges. Most car manufacturers have very high performance vehicles, but at what price tag? also with what amount of practicality? To each their own. For me I'll take most stock nissans over most stock hondas anyday. I do like the old school legends (own one), NSX, and late model preludes though (all fairly pricey however).

TitaniusMaximus
08-25-2000, 06:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by i want a skyline:
oops. i forgot about u.s.'s 300zx. it is also a bad a** car that i am actually thinking about buying. hondas (acura)nsx-t has 290hp, does 1/4 mile in 13.5, and 0-60 in 5 sec. the 300zx, on the other hand, has 300hp, does 1/4 mile in 15.0 and 0-60 in 6.5.
the s2000 is only a 4 banger and does 1/4 in 14.0 sec and 0-60 in 5.3 with 240 hp. put a turbo on that baby and see what happens!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

6.5 secs for a 300ZX TT??? Must be the one with the automatic tranny... or somebody is rough with the clutch... haha... the 93 Z TT went 0-60 in 5.2 secs... and NSX goes about the same... low 5s... but 6.5 is more like the Non-turbo model Z...

TitaniusMaximus
08-25-2000, 06:24 PM
If you turbocharged a S2000... there is a good chance of blowing it up... since the engine comes tuned to the max... a la HIGH COMPRESSION engine and the sorts... very fragile engine with its DOHC VTEC...

**DONOTDELETE**
08-25-2000, 10:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by i want a skyline:
i'm not trying to start a flame war but you guys need to ease off the handa bashing. i came to this site because i also like nissans and wanted to see if i can learn more about these cars, especially the skyline.

yes in japan nissans rule the streets but those are turbo silvias and skylines. those cars are awsome beast with looks and performance but that is irrelivant here in the states if we are comparing stock to stock cars of THE U.S.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

U.S. Stock Nissan vs. U.S. Stock Honduhs... if we do that lil comparison... who whould win? of course, they'd have to match up in price.....

and what's wrong with honduh bashing? to quote my friends that drive honduh's "nissans suck.. that's why people get honduhs" an eye for an eye...

mzf
09-24-2000, 07:50 AM
I'm going back a few posts here, but the Canadian models are always a bit different. The manufacturer has to sell a car that fits the market. In fact, when the Si-R first came out last year in Canada all the magazines (Road & Track, Motortrend, Car & Driver, SCC, etc) said the one big problem was the brakes cause they didn't put ABS on it (in the US). Well in Canada they did sell it with ABS (AS STANDARD EQUIPMENT!), so there are bonuses to living here. I even had one on hold last year but forget that. As fun as it is to rev a car to over 8000 rpms I don't want to have to do it ALL the time to get any power out of it. My 240sx is waaay better for daily driving.

Also, another cool example of a difference in Canadian and US models... where I live, and I'm pretty sure in all of Canada, you cannot buy a 4cyl Xterra. Even the base models come with V6 engines.

Anyways, sorry to drag you all back like 10 posts. http://www.freshalloy.com/

[This message has been edited by mzf (edited 09-24-2000).]

[This message has been edited by mzf (edited 09-24-2000).]

**DONOTDELETE**
10-07-2000, 07:10 PM
Are the GSR and Type R the only VTEC american Integras? Any one have expierince racing Integras? My SE-R has beaten quite a few but I dont think they were GSR's. Preludes on the other hand are an excellent match for my close to stock SE-R. And I think the new Preludes are awesome. Something i might consider buying if I was in the market and didn't suffer from Honda resentment.

Nismo
10-08-2000, 11:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Are the GSR and Type R the only VTEC american Integras?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes, that's correct. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Any one have expierince racing Integras? My SE-R has beaten quite a few but I dont think they were GSR's.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I don't have percentages, but in my area nearly all Integras are GS or LS. The easiest way to tell a GS-R is it's the only one with the VTEC sticker on the back. Of course, many folks like to buy the sticker and put it on any model Integra so when in doubt, look inside and check the tach. A GS-R's redline starts at 8100 RPM. Being limited production runs, the Type R's are a rare find. The easiest way to tell a Type R from the rest of the lot is by their 5-bolt wheels (all other Integras including GS-R's are 4-bolt). <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR> Preludes on the other hand are an excellent match for my close to stock SE-R. And I think the new Preludes are awesome. Something i might consider buying if I was in the market and didn't suffer from Honda resentment.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Current model Preludes are only fractionally slower than the Integra GS-R and are about on par with V6 Mustangs and Camaros. I find they're a bit expensive for what you get, plus the Prelude's gas mileage isn't as good as the slightly faster GS-R.

**DONOTDELETE**
10-08-2000, 11:24 AM
I'd buy a Prelude because it's not only quieter than it's Integra counterpart, but more refined. On the other hand I would buy an Integra because it's much more hard edged (not to mention cheaper and fun to drive) than it's Prelude stable mate.

JonCarson
10-08-2000, 04:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HammerMan:
I'd buy a Prelude because it's not only quieter than it's Integra counterpart, but more refined. On the other hand I would buy an Integra because it's much more hard edged (not to mention cheaper and fun to drive) than it's Prelude stable mate. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok. So one which would you buy? You lost me on that one...

10-09-2000, 06:43 PM
I would buy a Prelude because the name sounds cool. But maybe I would buy an Integra because I'm not the type of person who likes to go my own way and I'd feel more comfortable if my custom mods had already been done by someone else http://www.freshalloy.com/. But I do like the car itself. It's just hard to be a groundbreaker in it. That's why I wouldn't buy an Integra. I hope I've confused you carsonjon :&gt;

JonCarson
10-11-2000, 12:51 AM
Everything will be much easier when they combine the Prelude and Integra into one car...

Wonder what it'll be called? Which badge will it wear, I wonder....

thearabian
10-11-2000, 02:31 PM
I will be called "Interlude" and be badged acura in the front and honda in the back with mugen badging on the side http://www.freshalloy.com/

**DONOTDELETE**
10-11-2000, 03:06 PM
They can make it 4 wheel drive and call it Qualude. http://www.freshalloy.com/

**DONOTDELETE**
10-12-2000, 10:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by carsonjon:
Everything will be much easier when they combine the Prelude and Integra into one car...

Wonder what it'll be called? Which badge will it wear, I wonder....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its already been done, friend of mine Peter jung put an integra front end on his prelude, called the interlude, sevral years ago. only thing is about 6mos ago he wrecked it and put a prelude type R front on it, said the cost to get it redone would have been about 10 grand

JonCarson
10-12-2000, 05:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SSAMURI:
Its already been done, friend of mine Peter jung put an integra front end on his prelude, called the interlude, sevral years ago. only thing is about 6mos ago he wrecked it and put a prelude type R front on it, said the cost to get it redone would have been about 10 grand<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Prelude Type-R???? I didn't know such a car existed. Actually, I'm quite positive it doesn't. Care to post pics or links to a Japanese Honda website to prove otherwise?

10-13-2000, 01:10 AM
Is an interlewd or prelegra similar to a sileighty or one-via maybe? http://www.freshalloy.com/

i was going to say, a JDM integra front end on a prelude (97-) would look much better than those huge square lights.

**DONOTDELETE**
10-15-2000, 04:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by carsonjon:
Prelude Type-R???? I didn't know such a car existed. Actually, I'm quite positive it doesn't. Care to post pics or links to a Japanese Honda website to prove otherwise?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Im not a honda man, so I really dont know anything about them except what the guy that own's the car told me.
I saw the integra front end on it before he wrecked it though, made alot of people look twice

George

JonCarson
10-15-2000, 11:48 PM
Ok then. I'm even more certain that there is no such thing as a Type-R Prelude.

Geez! Honda guys will put Rs on everything!
"Hey look! My mom drives an Odyssey Type-R."

[This message has been edited by carsonjon (edited 12-25-2000).]

10-15-2000, 11:58 PM
Ok then. I'll even more certain that there is no such thing as a Type-R Prelude.

Geez! Honda guys will put Rs on everything!
"Hey look! My mom drives an Odyssey Type-R."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's a Type S Prelude, maybe that's what he said.

Are you talking about RJ's mom? Her Odyssey should be a Type R.

**DONOTDELETE**
10-19-2000, 11:44 PM
Explain to me why is it that 240sx is so slow? My Gosen Sentra SERi (induction forced) always spank the 24o's...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 240sx:
I can't wait till the roads dry-up and I get my car out of the garage...

Just an older (89) 240sx as the name states.
I have two friends that own civics. One is a 99 Si-R and the other is the Si. Both Canadian Cars, so the Si-R in Canada is to my knowledge, the Si In the U.S.

I know I can beat the guy in his Si, and I will be betting a nice wad of cash too.

Should I even think of racing the Si-R or just laugh and say, nah later? All 3 cars are stock, cause I'm a poor high school student.

Happy Driving...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

**DONOTDELETE**
10-20-2000, 07:20 PM
There isnt a Prelude Type R, but there is a high performance Prelude sold in Europe and Japan that comes pretty close....

**DONOTDELETE**
10-25-2000, 08:13 AM
What about VTEC Del Sols? They must have the b16 right? I've never raced one of those.

**DONOTDELETE**
10-25-2000, 08:50 AM
del sols are heavy. a friend of mine beat one in his 83 bronco with a straight six http://www.freshalloy.com/

Nismo
10-25-2000, 10:51 AM
The Honda Del Sol came in three models; all are very light cars with b16 engines:

S model........106 hp, no VTEC
Si model.......127 hp, SOHC VTEC
VTEC model..160 hp, DOHC VTEC, 2491 lb.

If a Bronco beat a VTEC model Del Sol, either the Honda wasn't racing or it wasn't a VTEC model Del Sol.

JonCarson
10-25-2000, 02:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pauli:
"hey, all i know is the lady in the del sol was pissed at being beaten by a machine tuned completely for offroading..."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The lady? Now why does that make it sound to me like that the Del Sol wasn't really racing. http://www.freshalloy.com/

If you said, "the girl" I can see it, but "the lady?"

**DONOTDELETE**
10-26-2000, 12:16 AM
hey, all i know is the lady in the del sol was pissed at being beaten by a machine tuned completely for offroading http://www.freshalloy.com/

i remember reading years ago (96 or so, i guess) that honda was going to replace the del sol with a civic convertible, since it would be lighter and cheaper. well, now we've got an s2000. i don't know if it's lighter, and i know it's not cheaper... but it's a lot nicer than a civic convertible http://www.freshalloy.com/

redlyne
11-23-2000, 04:17 PM
Umm, the del sol wasn't trying or it was injured, or that's one hell of a bronco.

Sean

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pauli:
del sols are heavy. a friend of mine beat one in his 83 bronco with a straight six http://www.freshalloy.com/<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

**DONOTDELETE**
12-19-2000, 05:43 PM
The 240sx is slow because Americans got stiffed and lumbered with an 2.4l non turbo engine with only 140 - 150 bhp and a 8 - 9 second 0 - 60. Japan(180sx) and Europe(200sx)
got the 1.8l turbo 167bhp engine and a 0 - 60 of 6.7 seconds

Only some Hondas are good :-

S2000
Integra Typr R(it may have 180bhp but its only got 130flbs of torque)
Accord Type R and NSX

the rest are boring!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gosenOG:
Explain to me why is it that 240sx is so slow? My Gosen Sentra SERi (induction forced) always spank the 24o's...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message has been edited by paulo (edited 12-19-2000).]

**DONOTDELETE**
12-21-2000, 03:10 PM
I wont even attempt to compare a 240sx with a front driver Honda.If its not rear wheel drive,its just a toy or a family ride!

shaun
12-21-2000, 10:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 03:
There's a Type S Prelude, maybe that's what he said. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

there's no type s....there's a type sh prelude and the only difference is the suspension...kinda rediculous because for the extra price id rather spend money on better aftermarket suspension.

**DONOTDELETE**
12-25-2000, 10:58 AM
Hey drivers, I justpopped on here and i am looking for maybe some help. I just bought a a 93' 240SX SE with 59,000 miles on it(its stock), and its still running like new. Now my only competition right now is my friends 96' Acura Integra SE,all stock except a KnN Filter. His Integra Feels speedy, but wha would be the outcome of a stoplight race???
Hope you can help!!! Thanks!!!

**DONOTDELETE**
01-01-2001, 09:58 PM
Hi there......

I have a 92 240sx with intake and exhaust... and I just finished racing a sir tonight..

Wow, once the VTEC kicks in they go.... off the line I beat him but about 140kph he took me.... once he got the VTEC going he was gone.... its a pretty close race, watch how much money you set on the race.......

01-02-2001, 01:38 AM
IN JAPAN, there's a TYPE S PRELUDE.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by shaun:
there's no type s....there's a type sh prelude and the only difference is the suspension...kinda rediculous because for the extra price id rather spend money on better aftermarket suspension.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

**DONOTDELETE**
01-03-2001, 12:10 AM
First Happy New Year ,second I had to say that I raced with Honduuuh! V-TEC Civic I never thought that I beat him with B15 Sentra(automatic) so easely ,the guy was impressed
and me too ,I raced him at a stop light where in the 1-2 shift of his car he was in front of me but when at 7,000rpm http://www.freshalloy.com/ my car screamed I put in second where I gained to him like 1 1/4 car all the way to the other gear ,well I gained again the respect of an a HondAcura fan http://www.freshalloy.com/ .

HonduhToyokiller:
2000 Sentra B15 SE (automatic)
Custom K&N cone Filter
Custom Exhaust
Magnecor wires
15" wheels
Smoke Silver Tinted

His car:
Honda Civic 2000 Si
HP racing muffler
5-speed manual trans.

Nismo
01-09-2001, 02:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Anyone think a '96 5-spd 240 has much of a chance against a '99-on prelude?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes, but only if the Prelude's driver makes a big mistake (major wheelspin, etc.).

**DONOTDELETE**
01-10-2001, 01:10 AM
Another Si beat down!! Anyone think a '96 5-spd 240 has much of a chance against a '99-on prelude?

I owned an auto Altima for the last year and would always race Si's and get my ass handed to me most of the time. Now I have a 240SX 5-spd and just beat an Si for the second time last night...it was almost easy! The torque of the 240 killed the Si off the line and then after that slowly pulled on him. Afterwards he said the only time he had a fighting chance was at the top of each gear.

**DONOTDELETE**
01-10-2001, 04:20 AM
What if while the light is still red I run over to the prelude and let the air out of his front tires!?!

Atleast I'd win right? http://www.freshalloy.com/

**DONOTDELETE**
01-10-2001, 10:42 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by i want a skyline:
the 300zx, on the other hand, has 300hp, does 1/4 mile in 15.0 and 0-60 in 6.5

Sorry but your figures are off. The Twin Turbo Z, the one with 300hp, does 0-60 in 5.5 and the 1/4 mile in 13.8

Some mags even tested it at 5.2 seconds.

Your figures are closer to the N/A model.

[This message has been edited by Marshallj25 (edited 01-10-2001).]