PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Fluid Leaking on HICAS model

WeST
10-13-2002, 02:52 PM
Just installed my Monkey Magic Tension rods yesterday and noticed that my Power Steering Fluid is starting to leak worse then I had thought, later in that day my HICAS light went on so I checked my PS fluid and it was empty just after two week of putting new fluid in. It seems to be leaking down on my drivers side tension rod area and all the surrounding area. Im assuming there is just a loose line somewhere but when I looked around I couldn't really see much since with the HICAS its really packed in there. Anyone ever have or seen a similar problem? If so please let me know if I should tackle the problem myself or take it to Nissan. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

jimc-s13
10-13-2002, 10:46 PM
You did put ATF in, not power steering fluid, right? PS fluid will leak from everywhere!

I replaced all the power steering lines for the front rack not long ago, including the high-pressure line. Not hugely difficult, part of the high-pressure line leading to the front steering rack has a bracket that is under the engine mount. It took a long time to get that bracket off, and I didn't put it back on!

The dealer I order my parts from told me that the high-pressure line for the HICAS system is no longer available.

Jim

AZ_Dave
10-13-2002, 11:23 PM
I tried installing PS on my sr yesterday, and was having problems w/ leaks...so you are saying I can use ATF (not even sure what that is) and it won't leak (as easily) ?

DAve

asad
10-14-2002, 12:06 AM
Not that you "can" use ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid), but you HAVE to use ATF. The Nissan power steering systems are designed for ATF, not PS fluid!

Asad

AZ_Dave
10-14-2002, 01:25 AM
holy shoot, I wonder why I never read that before...thanks guys.

Escorrego
10-18-2002, 02:56 PM
Mine is leaking also... I've added PS fluid a while ago and it needs more again. I didn't find ATF but got some AT leak stopper... I'm hesitant to put it in, will it work?

asad
10-18-2002, 03:10 PM
Any parts store should have Automatic Transmission Fluid. it should be with gear oils.

Asad

jickel240
10-18-2002, 03:19 PM
Ater bypassing (by leaving the HICAS pressure line plugged)the HICAS on my car b/c I've been running a non-HICAS P/S pump on my SR for a couple of months, I now have a huge leak at what it looks like some kind of pressure diverter on the passenger side (by the anti-roll bar). This "pressure diverter" is absent on non-HICAS cars, so I'm wondering if anybody else has this type of Similar problem on their non-HICAS sr p/s pump on a HICAS equipped chassis. Looks like a dirty pain in the arse to fix...if I only knew how to fix it that is...

89SX
10-18-2002, 09:30 PM
My PS fluid is leaking some too. Just kind of seeping around the large line that comes off the resevoir.
So what I'm curious is, I just bought some Nissan PS fluid, so I'm assuming that all Nissans use the same PS fluid? Which I guess is ATF?? Interesting...

myk11
10-20-2002, 01:46 PM
dumb me added some Power steering fluid w/ stop leak and the leak is still there (leaking from around the fittings). do i have to drain the PS fluid i added out first and then refill w/ ATF, or can i just add ATF to the mix?

AZ_Dave
10-20-2002, 04:51 PM
It's OK to mix atf/ps...atleast that's how mine is and seems to be working good.

**DONOTDELETE**
10-20-2002, 09:19 PM
Really?

I always use american PS fluid, I have never had a problem with leaking , where are you guys seeing leaking from? Granted my car is not hicas... Where did you read this? I will switch if there is some sort of benefit... http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

asad
10-20-2002, 10:19 PM
Page ST-7 of my 1991 FSM:

"Recommended fluid is Automatic Transmission Fluid "DEXRON" type".

Asad

jimc-s13
10-21-2002, 11:07 PM
With PS fluid, it will eventually leak from everywhere. Clamped hose ends, everywhere on the high-pressure hose, pump shaft seal, steering rack, etc. Now that I've switched back to ATF, the pump and rack leak much less than before.

Jim

**DONOTDELETE**
10-21-2002, 11:31 PM
cool, gonna try that http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif