PDA

View Full Version : What breaks rods? boost? RPM? HP? - budget engine

CA19DET
10-14-2002, 10:42 AM
what makes it neccessary to replace the stock forged rods on my ca18det?

i am on a budget with my engine build, i have $3000 to spend, i already have the CA18DET motor. my question is what breaks rods and should i replace my stock rods to run 20 psi with forged pistons, hetal head gasket on a T3/T4 or 18G turbo. if i get the rods i can only afford a cheaper turbo like the TDO5 18G 8cm2 for about 450 if i don't get the rods i can afford a bigger T3/T04E 50 Trim for 700 or so.

what should i do? what would make changing the rods neccessary?

Aaron

sillbeer
10-14-2002, 03:56 PM
If you're worried about your rods just get them shot pinned and heat treated. It's fairly inexpensive.

s14turbo
10-14-2002, 04:26 PM
you need to get upgraded forged rods. this is especially true if you're on a budget, what would happen if you threw a rod straight through the block? it's gonna cost you more than the forged rods, so you might as well do it right the first time.

rocksco_ultraPEZ
10-14-2002, 08:31 PM
I would run factory, race prepped (shot peened, polished and balanced) rods and stock nissan rod bolts on the CA. The CA I built that eventually ended up in Martins car had race prepped stock rods, last i heard before he sold it, he was running 9500 rpms on them. with 400+ wheel hp. I was installing another friends CA and the wrist pin holder on the piston came apart upon startup and seized the motor by wedging the rod up against part of the piston and cyliner and it dident even bend the rod. his car now is revving to 8800 rpm and holding up. Mark Marwoski's (sp) CA silvia was also factory rods too.. his was over 400 at the wheels. Ray in orlando will also be running factory rods along with grex pistons and he is shooting for mid 450 at the wheels. I would save your money becuase the factory CA rods are hard core

hope this helps
Rock
'97 Silvia K's

p.s. what island are you from?

CA19DET
10-15-2002, 10:13 AM
hot diggidy doo!!! http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/cool.gif well looks like i'll be splitting up my rods spending money on the T3/T4 and Blitz intercooler kit. http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

thanks guys.