PDA

View Full Version : npr intercooler front mount or top mount?

**DONOTDELETE**
10-14-2002, 07:34 PM
well which would be more efficent a top mount with a vented hood, or to mount it up front

**DONOTDELETE**
10-14-2002, 08:01 PM
i dont know if you would be able to fit a npr as a top mount, even the smaller npr is quite big.

i would have to say front mount, as that is what it is designed for.

garageEPIKtuning
10-14-2002, 08:06 PM
I have my NPR top mounted in my 89 S13.

I relocated the radiator and am using 2 14" electric fans.

In the first setup on my car, I was using a APEX'i GTR in the same place under hood. The NPR has much better throttle response on the stock T25 (DOH!) My plumbing is 20" total on the hot and cold pipes.

I'll try and get some pics.

Jeff

s13SRmadness
10-14-2002, 10:34 PM
i was always under the assumption that fmic are almost always a better spot than top mount. no matter how well vented it's still on top of a hot motor w/ hot air sandwhiched between the intercooler and motor.
on the bright side the radiator gets unobstructed airflow.

Dousan_PG
10-14-2002, 10:49 PM
are you routing the air up in anyway to get to the IC? do you get adequate airflow?

ive seen that setup most notable on yoshinori koguchi's car, but that's a different story when you go that route (the custom modifications done on that car are insane) but that's a different story...

garageEPIKtuning
10-14-2002, 11:28 PM
on my s13, the stock radiator is laid down at about a 70* angle, the bumper core support is notched, and it holds the brackets to anchor the radiator. I'm using a Nismo rad cap (1.3bar) to provide the extra pressure for the add'l coolant plumbing.

The NPR I wouldnt actually consider a "top-mount", it actually sits upright in the space the radiator used to occupy. The radiator is angled under it, the 2 14" electric fans are set to pull air thru the radiator and it is blown directly onto the intercooler. The fans pull so much air that 3' in front of the car, you can fell the air sucking at the hairs on your legs. I have the stock hood in right now, but a vented FG or CF hood is in my near future.

Constant high speeds and also sitting in traffic (line into NOPI...almost 2 hrs) has not caused the coolant temp to rise one bit.

The setup on the trip to NOPI was with a GTR chiller too...at least 2x as much ic plumbing was needed due to the width of the GTR. Throttle response on the NPR vs. the GTR on the stock T25 is almost instant boost.

White_240sx
10-14-2002, 11:31 PM
This solution is interesting:

http://homepage.mac.com/kinetiko1/.Pictures/GT1/Roll%2020%20-%2021.jpg (From DCD's picture collection featured in this thread (http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB4&Number=323074&page=1& view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1))

I would assume there is an air foil system on the bottom of the car with an opening for the "underside" of the intercooler, and when the car is moving the faster moving air going under the car creates a negative pressure differential forcing some of the air going in the large bumper vent down through the intercooler. The radiator appears to be mounted at an angle with bottom at the “back” of the intercooler and the top connecting to the factory upper radiator support, or thereabouts.

garageEPIKtuning
10-14-2002, 11:35 PM
I _LOVE_ the Koguchi World 180sx.. I have a Option vcd (#89?) done recently.. the car is now teal green and that is the first time that I saw he had a top mount.

I was originally inspired to do the underhood mount by a gold 180sx in Drift Tengoku mag. I chose to not modify the endtanks right now though, and installed the NPR in it's factory condition, just polished her up a lil.

I have pics of the GTR setup, but none of the NPR yet. I just re-made the 2.5" plumbing on Thursday, and I havent gotten a chance to have it powdercoated again yet.

**DONOTDELETE**
10-14-2002, 11:36 PM
thats becoming very popular in japan...well i guess it has been. "v-mount" radiator and ic are kinda at a perpindicular to eachother and at a weird angle. its a must to have a good undertray and a good vented and ducted hood though. supposed to be very effective.

i personally like fmic's just cause they look so damn cool

sillbeer
10-15-2002, 01:47 PM
What up Jeff? Glad you got the npr ic hooked up. I just sent ya some drift and drag clips from back in Misawa. Mo sent them to me for moral support. http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif

garageEPIKtuning
10-15-2002, 10:50 PM
hey bro! yea, I got the NPR piped on Thursday. Took me about an hour to make the hot and cold pipes.

I have another issue now... my fuel pump sock was clogged with the sealant that I used to seal the lid onto the tank when I put the Venom in. I thought it was the MAF, because everytime I hit boost or revved the motor it cut out, like a fuel cut. I thought it was the pump, so I pulled it out.
Gooey [censored] was everywhere. See, I had this idea that when I reinstalled the pump, the O-ring that seals it was stretched. I have this really good Toyota OEM black sealant that is very strong and looks like tar, I use it on the MR2 turbos I'm re-building....anyway, to make a long story short.. I decided to use it to seal the fuel pump lid.
This stuff does not like gas! My car was cutting out and was undriveable. I pulled the pump after seeing very erratic pressure on the guage I have on the FPR. The sock was coated in the sealant. What's worse, it was in the bottom of the tank. Thankfully I had only about 1/8 of a tank. I spent a few hours straining this slime out of my gas tank. Tomorrow I'm installing a new fuel sock strainer and hoping for the best. Probably going to use some hi quality injector cleaner as well. http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/crazy.gif

Oh, and my t25's seals are going...smoking at idle. Time to start saving for that S15 turbo...

Jeff

sillbeer
10-16-2002, 11:33 PM
I've got an S14 turbine in pretty descent shape if your interested. Let me know and i'll have Mo send it to ya.