PDA

View Full Version : LAZY people and upper chain guides

Dousan_PG
10-20-2002, 12:00 AM
well, i just took out my upper chain guides with my friend, Toso (thanks bud!). i want to do a quite write up about why people SHOULDN'T delay doing this

first off, i have VERY VERY little mechanical expirience. my s13 is the first car that i havent taken it to or depended on mechanics. all my modifications, maintenance have been done by me or with the assistance (second brain) w/ toso.

my chain guides have been noisy for quite some time!

we opened up the valve cover and the upper chain guide was there...the culprit. so we laugh and toso touches it..it almost falls off. WHY? BECAUSE THE UPPPER GUIDE WAS broken and completely SEPARATE from the bolt!!!! the guide had broken free from the guide and was SITTING in top of the upper timing chain!!! NOT FLOATING, NOT GOOD. one good jolt or track day could have caused it to fall down and destroy the engine! (i have to get pics of it)

so we removed the lower one too, it was still intact, but got rid of it.

fro those not mechanicially inclided, it was a VERY easy job. took us (our first time to try such) about 2 hours to get it out and back together, BUT we screwed up with the distributor cap part and when our friend spongerider came over he helped us fix it, taking our job to about a 5 hour job..so it ws long, but VERY EASY

i would recommend anyone bein lazy about it to take care of it ASAP. it cost me no more then 50 dollars..oil, filter, valve gasket, degreaser, rags, and sealant..oh and the FSM is defnately needed for assistance!!

IT WAS VERY EASY JOB..about a 4 on a scale of 10! if that.

PLEASE dont delay. if i had waited till after the track day on nov 2nd, i might not have a car!

best of luck!
aaron

edit: a huge thanks to Toso and Spongerider for all the help! couldnt have done it without them! http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

Red180sx
10-20-2002, 12:19 AM
hey im glad you got it taken care of! my upper guide has marks from the chain digging into it.
i dont have an fsm, but is there a way that i could find out how to remove the lower chain guide? does anyone know if the procedure is on the web somewhere? i have a bad rattling noise. thanks alot for any help!

Dousan_PG
10-20-2002, 12:23 AM
lower is EASY too, just need the liquid gasket/sealant and make SURE you have the distributor cap set right...

search mode i found one thread with EVERYTHIng..i'll try to find them again and post it

about the distibutor caP: very important (thanks for pix alex!!!)

http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB9&Number=288596&Forum=U BB9&Words=chain%20guide&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Sear chpage=0&Limit=88&Old=allposts&Main=287691&Search= true#Post288596

also, you should really get an FSM, its all you need for the job, explains everything

flip240
10-20-2002, 03:15 AM
Is it neccessary to replace the gasket? Can you reuse the old one??

Mav1178
10-20-2002, 04:46 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small[/img]In reply to:</font><hr />
i dont have an fsm, but is there a way that i could find out how to remove the lower chain guide? does anyone know if the procedure is on the web somewhere? i have a bad rattling noise. thanks alot for any help!

[/QUOTE]

I just like to point out an error in your post (that is very misleading to many people thus far):

There are two timing chains on the KA24DE engine. The upper chain has two metal guides, both of which have been discontined by Nissan via a TSB. If you try to buy a replacement guide at the dealer, they simply tell you to toss the old guides. The "lower chain guide" should be refered to as the "lower guide on upper chain".

The lower timing chain on the twin cam KA also has two guides, but both of them are needed! DO NOT TAKE THESE OUT FOR ANY REASON OTHER THAN TO REPLACE.

-alex

Mav1178
10-20-2002, 04:47 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small[/img]In reply to:</font><hr />
Is it neccessary to replace the gasket? Can you reuse the old one??

[/QUOTE]

Valve cover gasket you can reuse. Upper front cover, you have to reseal with new liquid gasket.

-alex

Toso_the_curb_kisser
10-20-2002, 02:49 PM
Thanks for clarifying about the guides. I was gonna mention that too. There really is no reason to remove the lower timing chain cover. It really is an easy thing to do. If you can change oil you can probably handle this. Just take your time and make sure to not over torque the bolts. Dont want to have to retap the head. It was a ton of fun actually. Just made a mistake with the CAS. But our buddy Spongerider came by and helped us out.