PDA

View Full Version : buy a sr20det or turbocharge a ka24de?

**DONOTDELETE**
08-14-2000, 10:33 PM
Would it be easier to buy a sr20det or to turbocharge the ka24de? Which costs less? And most important, which can you get the most power out of? Also would either one pass smog?

mzf
08-15-2000, 08:34 AM
I'm guessing the SR20DET is the better bet cause it's a stock turbocharged engine. More reliable... until ya double the HP anyways. Might not pass a smog test though, being a J-spec engine.

Mel E Bog
08-15-2000, 08:45 AM
I think it will pass the sniffer but not the visual. Thats what I've been hearing anyways. But you're screwed if you get pulled over and the cop asks you to pop your hood. The KA24DE has alot of potential to be tuned. The motor just $hits torque (must be them genuine Nissan prunes) =) The only weak link would be the pistons and the injectors. You might wanna check some of the other topics posted here like "turbocharging the KA24: Myths and truths" and I think there is also a thread on SR20DET vs. KA24DET. Hope that helps.

Mel

JonCarson
08-15-2000, 06:23 PM
I don't know any cops who can tell the difference between a KA24DE with turbo and an SR20DET. Your problem during a visual inspection with any non-stock turbo will most likely be....the turbo.

**DONOTDELETE**
08-15-2000, 10:07 PM
So it's illegal to put a turbo on a car that didn't come with one, even if it passes the smog test otherwise? If so how can you get around it?

08-15-2000, 10:54 PM
Pay off the guy doing the smog test.

Asad

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by caraju:
So it's illegal to put a turbo on a car that didn't come with one, even if it passes the smog test otherwise? If so how can you get around it?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

mzf
08-16-2000, 07:51 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by caraju:
So it's illegal to put a turbo on a car that didn't come with one, even if it passes the smog test otherwise? If so how can you get around it?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Move somewhere that doesn't do smog testing. They don't do it here. Mind you the only things to race here are american muscle.

**DONOTDELETE**
08-16-2000, 02:14 PM
when I went to check out sr turbo engines, the turbo was tucked away and under so it's actually not "out there" for all to see. A front mount i/c might be a dead giveaway that a turbo lurks somewhere under there though.

RPS13
08-24-2000, 04:14 PM
I don't think the cops will even know what the intercooler is. I think it would be cheaper to get the SR20DET at first. But, if you break something or need replacement parts, it might be more expensive and difficult to find. I would just turbo the KA. Easier to get parts for. The iron block in the KA should also be stronger for turbo, but the pistons appear to be the weak link. Well, for the earlier models anyways. The smog thing too. I think it'll be easier to smog a KA turbo than a SR20DET. I don't know if anybody every installed all the emmission equipment into a SR20DET conversion. All the cars I've seen with the swap had none of the required parts. Like no carbon canister, EGR, and things like that. So I think, in the long run, you'll save more money with a KA turbo.