PDA

View Full Version : Durability of JIC FLT-A2

ToNzOfPHuN
10-30-2002, 11:23 AM
i want to get coil overs for my car and i am asking anyone who has these how long have they had them or if there were any problems with them and how long should they last?

Rogue
10-30-2002, 11:47 AM
I used to have the SF1 from JIC. I must say they are great and were of good quality.

thoraxe
10-30-2002, 01:21 PM
if you are worried about how long they will last, you are one of two kinds of people:

1) you never ever race your car, except for maybe some street racing and the occasional autocross. You will probably get some other car before you have to worry about your JIC wearing out. you don't do your own work on your car.
2) you do all your own work on your car and you take it to circuit all the time... you drift, you autocross, you beat the hell out of your car and you're worried about when they're gonna have to get rebuilt.

if you're 1, don't bother with JIC, just get KYB + ST.
if you're 2, they're gonna wear out and need to be rebuilt, so don't worry anyway.
if you're neither, you don't need coilovers, either get KYB + ST or just stay with stock suspension.

it may sound harsh, but it's the truth.

i have ****ty no-name coilovers on my car. I drive in NYC. they get pummeled. I autocross a lot, i've put a few thousand street miles on them, they still work.

AD
10-30-2002, 07:06 PM
I wasn't worried at all about how long my FLT-A2 would last at first... but after having them on for a couple hundred miles, I realize the importance of having a dust boot. I find small rocks and sand grains on the gasket, sitting right between the piston and the shock body, and see the 'streaks' that they've left (so far only in the thin layer of oil covering the piston)... it's somewhat unnerving.

I'd recommend you clean out the under-wheel area any time you bring your car in for a car wash with the high-pressure wash, to get any dust, dirt, debris, sand and pebbles out of that little crack. I personally plan on using some canned air (or just a blower brush) to get rid of that annoying sand.

Other than this small issue, my coilovers look, feel and smell as good as new. Maybe that's because they're only a month or two old, but when I take the 240 out, I drive the car hard. The coilovers have held up very well so far, and considering the places that I drive, dust, dirt and sand is understandable.

Dousan_PG
10-30-2002, 07:08 PM
hey i wonder if you can use tein dust boots?? not sure, i think the JIC shock is larger diameter..but i wonder if you can use another companies boot? or does JIC have some from other models???

AD
10-30-2002, 07:12 PM
I went to an autoparts shop to look a what dust boots they had, but they were both expensive ($5 each! wtf!?) and didn't look like they'd clear my thick... piston! http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif Haha... If I remember my friend's Tein install from before, they will not fit over the fat JIC pistons (at least front), either...
I'm looking into a home-made substitute, but it'll be a while before I come up with anything. (maybe just a plastic bag zip-tied into place? haha... ugly, but I can't see why it wouldn't work!)

ToNzOfPHuN
10-31-2002, 10:38 PM
It is the truth because it will be my first time to autocross this weekend with my 240 i have owned for 2 weeks now. I do all the work, but very very simple things and i still get stuck so that probably doesn't count. I am glad i got this car and thanks for the info

thoraxe
11-01-2002, 10:36 AM
well just get some good tires and drive the car with stock suspension for a while.

if you find that you're really getting into autocrossing and you want to be competitive, come back and we'll talk about suspension.