PDA

View Full Version : Midas sportexhaust.

240fan
09-05-2000, 05:21 AM
The new Motor Trend lists mufflers this month that we might want, one is the Ravin by : MIDAS LOL it supposedly has highly developed design and deep sporty sound. I dont doubt they can make a muffler, but I am concerned about the pipes they use.
so who wants to be the guinea pig? and does anyone know if Midass has a higher grade pipe?

there is an ad in there for Remus, that looks cool anyone got Remus?

**DONOTDELETE**
09-05-2000, 07:16 AM
I got a Remus system back in the spring. I wanted something that would flow without making a lot of noise. This was a rear section exhaust, only. The unit is stainless and matches the stock inlet and mounting arms with no problems. (Other than getting the rusted nuts broken loose on the stock exhaust...) Appearance-wise, I like the way it looks - dual 3" polished tips, (Very Aggressive!) and the can isn't much larger than the tips. The tips just fit and fill the notch in the rear bumper, and the undercarriage looks a lot cleaner without a huge can hanging underneath.

The sound is very low (actually more like a growl - that would explain the wolf head logo) - enough to turn heads without being intrusive or annoying to the driver. The "butt-dyno" could definitely tell a difference - I'm guessing around the 8-10HP range. The downside to this system is cost, (around $400), weight, (smaller package, but heavier than stock), and the fact it's only a rear section.

Btw - I installed this on a '96 S14. Also, the Remus is where I got the "LoudenBoomer" part of my nick. http://www.freshalloy.com/

[This message has been edited by EarSplittenLoudenBoomer (edited 09-06-2000).]

mzf
09-05-2000, 01:59 PM
I'm planning on getting a 5zigen Fireball catback system cause my exhaust is starting to go. It's kinda cool actually. My totally stock '92 sounds like it has custom exhaust cause without the heatshield (lower) and no baffles left I get a nice growl too. I wonder, with no baffles left, will I get a bit more power or will that not make a difference?

redlyne
09-05-2000, 06:49 PM
I've seen a cross section of that stupid ravin muffler and it looks like a crock of sh*t to me. that thing CAN'T flow like it claims. No way. You need more than a 3/4" x 6" rectangle to be "low back pressure" ( that's how small part of that muff gets inside! ) give me a straight through muffler any day.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-06-2000, 07:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by redlyne:
You need more than a 3/4" x 6" rectangle to be "low back pressure" ( that's how small part of that muff gets inside! ) give me a straight through muffler any day.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good Point! 3/4" x 6" provides an area of 4.5 square inches - this is slightly larger than the area of a 2 3/8" pipe. Most catback systems range from 2 1/2" to 3" (4.9 to 7 square inches.) and truely are "low back pressure" systems.