PDA

View Full Version : to turbo, or not to turbo...a 17 year-old's perspective

**DONOTDELETE**
09-05-2000, 03:15 PM
ok, i love nissans, i love my moms '95 altima SE, but it handles like a tank, and has a HUGE hydroplaneing problem, but other than that, i love it. a 300ZX is too much car for me...way too much. I love to auto-x, i took my mom's car once and have been itching to go back.(HAHAHA, beat an Si!!)

the problem i run into is this...if i buy a '95 SE 5 spd, it's going to have a lot of miles, so a turbo wouldn't be good, right? this car has to last me a while, at least another 3-4 years. Has anyone heard of Top End Racing's NA package, they completly rebuild the engine, gives 210hp(don't know whether crank or wheel) but is $3900 http://www.freshalloy.com/ ) but it would last another 100K miles. anyone know of another shop that does this service? the topend site is
http://www.racetep.com/240sxt.doc

just scroll down a little until you get to NA engine.

who makes the best combination of springs/shocks for 240SX, this is going to be a daily driver with auto-xing every other week, hopefully.

what would a 240 run with 210hp? what if i added a 55-shot of nitrous(for those drag days)

anyone have any suggestions?

thanks,
-Chris
mxyzptlk@home.com

09-05-2000, 10:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mxyzptlk:

the problem i run into is this...if i buy a '95 SE 5 spd, it's going to have a lot of miles, so a turbo wouldn't be good, right?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Depends on the condition of the motor. If the motor still shows good compression, I would go turbo. Also...if the compression weren't so good, you could always just put in new pistons/rings, and have the old rods prepped. You *might* even be able to do this without removing the engine -- just remove the head and oil pan (and all the associated stuff like the timing cover/oil pump, etc), remove the old pistons, hone the cylinder walls, and put the new pistons in. Maybe easier said than done...the crossmember probably gets in the way. Anyway, I'm just rambling now...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>
this car has to last me a while, at least another 3-4 years. Has anyone heard of Top End Racing's NA package, they completly rebuild the engine, gives 210hp(don't know whether crank or wheel) but is $3900 http://www.freshalloy.com/ ) but it would last another 100K miles. anyone know of another shop that does this service? the topend site is
http://www.racetep.com/240sxt.doc

just scroll down a little until you get to NA engine.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That looks entirely reasonable. I would bet that any good race shop can do something similar. If I were going to do that, I would get it done by JWT -- they REALLY know their Nissans, and they can reprogram the ECU to take full advantage of the higher compression pistons and reground cam.

That said...$3900 is a lot of money for only 210 hp. With about $5000 (only $1100 more!) you could have yourself an intercooled turbo setup, running on stock internals. That will give you way more than 210 hp, even at the wheels (Nsport's 7 psi turbo dyno'd at 240 hp at the wheels). And it gives you the opportunity to get even more power later on if you decide to raise the boost/fortify the internals. If you raise the compression on an N/A motor...its sort of a dead end.

who makes the best combination of springs/shocks for 240SX, this is going to be a daily driver with auto-xing every other week, hopefully.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How much do you want to spend?

what would a 240 run with 210hp? what if i added a 55-shot of nitrous(for those drag days)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

TopEnd claims low-to-mid 14's...which might be possible, since the motor should still have a pretty broad torque curve. If that's true, then a 55-shot on top of that should put you in the 13's easily. The one thing I don't know about TopEnd's package is what else did they have on the car to get 210 hp? Were they still running the stock intake and exhaust? What about the stock exhaust manifold. Unanswered questions...if you find out, tell us!

Asad

240sxTurbo
09-06-2000, 05:02 AM
17yr old perspective is it....heres some advice. Most of the turbo 240SX owners have owned or driven their cars for some time before considering turbo. Turboing this car is not to be taken lightly. Take my advice, invest in some bolt ons, exhaust and intake, and header and ignition, then buy a NOS wet kit, and spray the stock internaled motor. If you build a NA monster with high compression, then you kinda are kick'n the NOS out the window a bit...can run it, but makes it a bit more dangerous. The deal with turbo setups is they can be finicky and require lots of your time and money. If this is your only mod of transportation, you probably don't want to turbo that car. My turbo car is my second 240SX, I like it that way, that way you don't have to rely on a car you know your going to run hard and put up wet. Turboing will cost you twice as much as anyone ever tells you and require 5 to 8 times the amount of tuning and time you need to get it right. If you don't have a grasp on the concept(and I know I didn't when I was 17yrs old) then I recommend the bolt on path and NOS. While you learn the NOS stuff buy some goodies and have fun, remember beating every kid on the block isn't the most important part in life.....enjoying/driving the vehicle you build is way more fun.

Just my words of wisdom.

JonCarson
09-08-2000, 02:17 AM
I suggest you get to know the car as it is first. Keep it to some simple bolt-ons if you must.

The 240SX is a handling car. Learn the balance of the car on corners first. The steering, suspension, chassis. Sure, you can't run down Turbo Supras, Vtec Preludes, VR6s and many others on the straights, but the 240SX is still a really fun car. Work on the suspension and keep some really grippy tires on it at all times. You'll love running with Miatas and MR2s in the twisties.