PDA

View Full Version : valve cover breather pipe

240fan
09-13-2000, 09:20 AM
I put a filter on the valve breather instead of having it suck intake air, besides being naughty is this bad for the engine?

09-13-2000, 09:27 AM
Nope, should be fine. The valve breather isn't an intake, its an exhaust for the crankcase ventilation system. It might actually be better for the engine since the engine isn't breathing the fumes from blowby and whatnot that's usually routed back into the intake.

In fact it might be better for the engine since the crankcase will vent to the air instead of back into the intake. The

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 240fan:
I put a filter on the valve breather instead of having it suck intake air, besides being naughty is this bad for the engine? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

240fan
09-14-2000, 04:25 AM
in formula1 they just forced breathers to blow into the intake air for emission reasons they used to be a good indicator of imminent engine failure (steam, oil)

**DONOTDELETE**
09-14-2000, 10:27 PM
So would we get more power/throttle response by installing a breather in place of the PCV tube?

240fan
09-15-2000, 02:32 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>So would we get more power/throttle response <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
not really,but engine blow-by isnt air or fuel so it inhibits power, they just make us re-burn that stuff instead of venting it. dont do it in CA the gain isnt worth it IMO
my state doesnt inspect under the hood but does dyno so they wont know. at idle, this tube has a vacuum again,that doesnt help as its sucking your intake air you tried so hard to ram in there.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-15-2000, 11:53 PM
Heheh did you just contradict yourself there? "Not really but it inhibits power" http://www.freshalloy.com/
I mean its just a tube... pretty simple to detach and attach come Smog check time, but would the fumes being released into the engine bay be harmful at all (since they are acidic) Would I want to reroute them so they're released somewhere else?