PDA

View Full Version : changing the gear ratios in my tranny

mzf
11-04-2002, 10:36 AM
I have a choice right now, I can get a new (used) tranny froma wrecker, or rebuild the one I have. There are no decent wreckers in my area, so finding a tranny will be kinda difficult, and I don't like the idea of not knowing what I'm getting. I don't want to spend the money on a tranny and then have to rebuild it a few months later.

So, I'm leaning towards rebuilding my tranny. New gears, synchros, etc. Would it be worth it to change the gear ratios? To be honest, I don't even know what it has stock ('92 LE). What are the pros and cons of doing this?

uiuc240
11-04-2002, 10:48 AM
Stock 5-speed ratios are:

3.321:1
1.902:1
1.308:1
1.000:1
0.759:1

Rear end ratio is 4.083:1

You would be MUCH better off and your wallet will thank you if you just stick with a simple rebuild with OEM gears and whatnot and then just get a new rear ratio. J30 LSD is 3.92:1, and you may be able to get JDM gears for 3.73:1. Nismo has many ring/pinion combos, too.

Eric

orion
11-04-2002, 12:18 PM
Rebuid:

Pros - A new tranny would be great!

Cons - Cost...A friend of mine (240racer) had his rebuilt by a Z-Shop here in G'ville and it cost ~$1100 for a new 5th and 3rd synchro, new shift forks, and a couple new bearings, plus labor. Wow...

Junk yard Tranny:

Pros - Cost...I picked up a '98 trans with 16k on it for $250 - Shipping wouldn't be to bad if you found one a couple states away. Search on www.car-part.com (http://www.car-part.com) ...

Cons - Like you said, sometimes you don't know what you gonna get, but low mileage can't be too badly abused - Mine was in great shape...

And the S14 trans will work in your S13...you may not need a sensor or two that will be on the S14 tranny, but otherwise it's indentical.

Good luck - Brian

alll1llla
11-04-2002, 09:29 PM
About how many miles does it take for the tranny to start to need to be replaced/rebuilt. With getnle driving with a little bit of spirited dirving?