PDA

View Full Version : Tall boi seats

nonissan
11-05-2002, 05:32 PM
i searched for this already. what i gather is that the only aftermarket seats that will not raise the height of our seats is bride. i am 6'4", and getting an s13. what are my options for seating? will i have to get custom bracket? is this difficult/expensive? are there any other 240 owners who are tall and have found a solution for a comfortable seat. help me out

Dousan_PG
11-05-2002, 05:36 PM
yep gotta go custom. either lose the slider (sparco) and drill the rails and bolt directly or get the bride rails/japaense railsof some sort.
probably the easiest
wedge engineering makes rails too but they still sit higher then the japense ones. you can see that on

www.phase2motortrend.com (http://www.phase2motortrend.com)
under 240sx and seats i think...they compare the blitz rails and the wedge rails...

i got japanese rails for my car, getting the seat shortly it seems.

other route: side mounting bucket seat! that will keep you low too!

but reclinables, only have japanese rails or drilling rails to stay low. at least those have been my expiriences with it!
good luck!

nonissan
11-05-2002, 05:49 PM
thanks
which of these options would give me the most room? what kind of prices am i looking at? if i remove the rails and bolt directly, will i not be able to adjust front to back?
tim

Dousan_PG
11-05-2002, 05:55 PM
most headroom would be side mount bucket seat (Such as recaro's, some sparco-rev, evos, etc)

reclinable, drill rails and get rid of slider=cant move front back, so drill the rails at the point where you like distance. you will get pretty good headroom like this. you just cant slide your seat back and forth anymore
recaro srd, sparco spring, torino..etc

but honestly your best bet would be dish out the money for a bride rail. may cost a lot in the long run, but your happiness and comfort wont be sacrificed. its worth it, definately.

prices? depends on seat first of all
rails (sparco) run about 80-100 some for the rail, 40 for slider? i forget, call a sparco dealer
search the net for prices would be best, i dont want to venture and give bad info.

hope that helps! what seat are you considering?
i would say go Recaro SRD for bottom mount reclinable or JIC reclinables.
bucket=sparco rev, evo series, or recaro

ThanatosZ
11-05-2002, 06:36 PM
Im using a Sparco Ultra Seat, and no sliders. It sits pretty nice, all depends if you wana lose the front/back adjustability. Oh yea, and I removed my sunroof assembly, so that added some headroom, BTW im 6'1" or 6'2" something like that. Cost wise it's probably the cheapest way of doing it.

KSU_S13Less
11-05-2002, 06:44 PM
How about one of those spiffy $99 sheet metal racing seats from summit? http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif
J/k http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

Regards

Gregory

Natty
11-05-2002, 06:48 PM
Man, I feel your pain. I am not nearly as tall as you(6'2") but when I turn hard, my head hits the celing my the A pillar. At the last autocross, I had the sunroof off and my helemy was sticking out of the top. Not comfy.
Good luck,
Jeff

projectsilvia
11-05-2002, 06:48 PM
for your situation, i recommend getting the s14 seats, as it will keep the seat low, vs, raising seats...

Dousan_PG
11-05-2002, 06:51 PM
yeah, but if your skinny s14 seats suck on the track. i was sliding all over (5'10 150lbs)
i am getting a seat to fix that soon..it was very uncomfortalbe. but yeah s14 seats are cheap and more comfy then the s13 ones..run around 200 bucks the pair usually not bad considering one goood racing type seat will go 300 (sparco sprint)-600 (recaro etc) per seat

if you get s14, maybe get a 3 or 4 point harness to support yourself, that would help also

primeral
11-05-2002, 07:52 PM
Take the S14 seats and have it modified. I used to have race seats but the S14 SE seats are extremely comfortable (to me, at least).

It would be easy enough to have the seat covers removed and have the bolsters reinforced and material added to support your thin frame. While you're at it, why not modify the bottom cushion to sit a little lower? That way, the thigh bolstering wouldn't need modification. Just throwing out some ideas... stock seat modification is what I'm looking into doing. Take care

**DONOTDELETE**
11-07-2002, 08:10 AM
who needs seats when your that tall? just sit on the floor - plenty of headroom....

nonissan
11-07-2002, 11:38 AM
what kind of places would do seat customization? would a good tuning shop do it, or a reappolsterer (sp???) and can i use a race harness with the s14 seat? would it have to bolt into the rear seatbelt or what?

red98s14
11-07-2002, 07:08 PM
I had mine done at an upholstery shop. All the foam was replaced with high density, custom fitted to me. Extra side bolstering on the seat back and bottom, and thigh support added to the front of the bottom. OE grey leather replaced with a nice black fabric.

They're very comfortable for long trips and give great support for lapping.
http://members.rogers.com/red240sx/images/240Seats.jpg

David

s14 RL
11-07-2002, 09:37 PM
How much did it cost to get it customized? Trying to get an idea of cost versus new seats...

red98s14
11-08-2002, 08:38 AM
Total cost was about $1000 US.

That included the custom shaping of the front seats, recovering the rear seat and door panels in the same cloth and window tint.

It wasn't cheap, but then it wasn't done to be cheap. It was done to be custom http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Dousan_PG
11-08-2002, 09:32 AM
you can just about get a set of JIC reclinables for that much
recaro srd a bit more (200 more or so-with rails)

red98s14
11-08-2002, 10:39 AM
Yeah, though they're a bit more expensive this side of the border. I also wanted the collar and cuffs to match, so to speak. If I bought aftermarket, I would likely have had the rear recovered as well, so more $$.

As I said, I looked at the alternatives, and this one worked for me. Your mileage may vary http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

s14 RL
11-08-2002, 01:18 PM
Well assuming that a tint costs around $150 normally, the total cost without the tint would run roughly around $850--so you can save a little bit of money by going this route instead of with Recaros etc. Thanks for the info red98.