PDA

View Full Version : Shaking at 1k RPM and less power

**DONOTDELETE**
10-12-2000, 04:55 PM
Hi,
Today I started up my '91 240sx and I noticed it was shaking from side to side. I figured maybe it was because it was a bit cold this morning. The car was more sluggish than normal too. On the drive home I had the car in overdrive and getting past 70mph seemed hard, getting up to 70mph took a while. I parked it and opened the hood and could see the engine move from side to side. At this point it wasn't too bad so pushed on the pedal a bit and noticed the shaking was worst at 1k RPM. Muffler noise corisponded with the shaking too. Any ideas?

**DONOTDELETE**
10-12-2000, 05:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Akuinnen:
Hi,
Today I started up my '91 240sx and I noticed it was shaking from side to side. I figured maybe it was because it was a bit cold this morning. The car was more sluggish than normal too. On the drive home I had the car in overdrive and getting past 70mph seemed hard, getting up to 70mph took a while. I parked it and opened the hood and could see the engine move from side to side. At this point it wasn't too bad so pushed on the pedal a bit and noticed the shaking was worst at 1k RPM. Muffler noise corisponded with the shaking too. Any ideas?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

its normal for your engine to have alittle flex due to the torque. thats only when you rev it though. from what you described you might have bad motor mounts

George

Nismo
10-14-2000, 04:18 PM
Hopefully your timing chain tensioner didn't give, allowing your chain to skip a few links. That could cause your 'vibrating & poor running' problem. To check it, remove the valve cover and check to see that the punchmarks (link and cam gear) still line up correctly.

redlyne
10-20-2000, 10:38 AM
Umm, not to be redundant, but are all four cylinders firing? I forgot to plug in a wire once and it damn sure didn't run smoothly. check your plugs and wires, cap, rotor. maybe the ign. timing is screwy. you might have a bad injector. maybe your ECU is dead. there's a million reason's why it'd be running rough. my suggestion is to strart checking the cheapest parts first. your ignition system first, then injectors and inj. harness connectors, then the ecu. after that, send it to the mechanic. don't assume that i'm right, just check them out.

Sean

**DONOTDELETE**
10-20-2000, 02:29 PM
Turns out a cylinder wasn't fireing. Not because of sparks or anything but a injector stopped working!

Thanks all

redlyne
10-20-2000, 05:33 PM
OH YEAH!!!!!!!! WHAT!!!!!!!! I AM THE MAN!!!!!!!! oh, and you can't tell me you've never done anything bad to your baby on accident before. oh well, gotta go.

Sean

mzf
10-20-2000, 11:31 PM
redlyne, you're nasty on your cars. Forgetting to plug in wires, downshifting at redline. Ouch. http://www.freshalloy.com/ Good thing I don't know ya cause you ain't never drivin my car http://www.freshalloy.com/ hehe

redlyne
10-23-2000, 06:43 PM
ummmmm..... i don't know what got into ym cheerios that day, but forvive the above outburst. ok. bye

Sean

**DONOTDELETE**
10-29-2000, 11:31 AM
I had the same problem and it ended up being a set of spark plugs that the old owner had aparently never replaced. The electrode was almost completely gone! I switched them out and everything is fine now.