PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Interchangability?

ChunkiDori
11-08-2002, 02:13 AM
So my friends and I had just gotten done installing my Tomei rocker arm stoppers, and put in a new waterpump on my SR20. We were looking around for a tool, and we found something very nice sitting in a box. It's a T28 turbo from a J Spec VG30DETT 300ZX. I guess it came over when my friends dad was replacing a VG30 in a Z32 that had destroyed his engine, but not the turbos, and there was no use for the turbo, so they've just been sitting around for about 18 months.

So by this time, I've got a very large stiffy, he said we could put it on my engine if I wanted it. So we took the T25 and T28 o2 extensions off, and they didn't match, of course. The only major differences is that the T28 extension is about an inch shorter than the T25 extension. If I could have a shop cut the flange off of my downpipe and weld another inch into it then weld the flange back on, would that work? Or would it work without any welding?

Now, if that works, does anybody have any idea if the oil/coolant lines will match up, and if not, what mods have to be done to get it to fit? We tried lining up and the ones we could see seemed to line up.

Lastly, does anybody know what the turbo would be good for? 18psi, and how long it would take to spool? This turbo was intended to power 3 cylinders and we intend to feed it 4 cylinders.

Even though the 300ZXTT turbo housing is visually smaller than my T25, will it flow more and make more power than my T25 because it has a T28 compressor wheel?

Hugh
11-08-2002, 04:52 AM
Couldn't you just swap compressor housings and compressor wheels?

AZ_Dave
11-08-2002, 10:00 AM
I don't see how it'd be harder than a gti-r install...which was alot more of a bizatch than I bargained for, here's some things to look at:
1) Does the turbo have to be clocked?
2) If 1), the actuator mount will have to be modified
3) You can use custom braided lines for the oil/water...not a big problem
4) intake flange, how does it line up

Dave

asad
11-08-2002, 10:46 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small[/img]In reply to:</font><hr />
Even though the 300ZXTT turbo housing is visually smaller than my T25, will it flow more and make more power than my T25 because it has a T28 compressor wheel?

[/QUOTE]

Probably not. The smaller turbine housing will limit exhaust flow, making the better compressor a moot point.

Asad

ChunkiDori
11-08-2002, 12:41 PM
I didn't intend to swap compressors, I was considering swapping the whole turbo; what asad said is what I thought though. The smaller housing is going to limit flow.