PDA

View Full Version : Headlights

jickel240
11-01-2000, 09:15 PM
Ok, I've been casually searching around for some new headlights that have the H.I.D. look. The problem is , I can't seem to find any for a s13. I know these are sealed beam lights so you have to buy the whole unit, but wouldn't you think there would be plenty of these available.? I bought some "cool blue" headlights from autozone, but they still look yellow. Does anyone have this problem also?

11-01-2000, 09:24 PM
Well, if you want to have the widest selection of bulbs, then upgrade to housings that have separate bulbs. I believe the Hella Vision Plus series is street legal, and not only will it allow you to use standard H4 bulbs, but you'll get a better beam pattern and more even illumination to boot!

As for blue bulbs...well, don't use them...read this link to find out why: http://lighting.mbz.org/tech/info/blue_bulbs/

And this guy also has all sorts of other useful lighting info on his website.

Asad

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jickel240:
Ok, I've been casually searching around for some new headlights that have the H.I.D. look. The problem is , I can't seem to find any for a s13. I know these are sealed beam lights so you have to buy the whole unit, but wouldn't you think there would be plenty of these available.? I bought some "cool blue" headlights from autozone, but they still look yellow. Does anyone have this problem also?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

11-01-2000, 09:28 PM
Oh, and here's another good article on the suckiness of blue bulbs (in case you didn't get all the way to the bottom of the previous link http://www.freshalloy.com/ )
http://www.overboost.com/story.asp?id=102

Asad

**DONOTDELETE**
11-02-2000, 12:51 AM
So who makes aftermarket real HID bulbs that light up the road better?

11-02-2000, 10:49 AM
I think PIAA makes some...and there are some other companies...but be prepared to shell out big bucks. They're like $750 for a set (or more).

Asad

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tim:
So who makes aftermarket real HID bulbs that light up the road better?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

VQuick
04-24-2001, 06:29 AM
So S13s use the H4 type headlights, right? I have a friend with an S13, and she had a light burn out. I was thinking of getting her the Phillips Bluevisions. I heard they were really good on Maximas(9004 type), so I figgered I'd get a set for my Max and for her 240SX.

Zen S14
04-24-2001, 07:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by asad137:
I think PIAA makes some...and there are some other companies...but be prepared to shell out big bucks. They're like $750 for a set (or more).

Asad

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, a few companies make them now. Philips, osram, Hella, etc. I think there might even be a generic kit somewhere. The price is also coming down. I bough my kit at $450 and the most I've seen recently runs about $550-750 depending. They will not work on a S13 style headlight. You must have separate high and low beams. The bulbs for HID does not come in double filament style for high and low beams in one bulb that I know of.

**DONOTDELETE**
04-24-2001, 07:25 AM
Depending on which module HID kit you buy, the prices range dramatically. The lowest grade kit is the Phillips kit, which has a combination ballast/ignitor. Those kits are fair, but they are more prone to failure as all the parts are combined into 1 unit. In addition, there isnt much room from the ballast to the HID bulb, which makes mounting VERY difficult -- especially on cars like ours with popup headlights and/or IC piping.

The more expensive HID kits have separate ballast/ignitor and start at around 800.

- Mike

ta2maki
04-25-2001, 10:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VQuick:
So S13s use the H4 type headlights, right? I have a friend with an S13, and she had a light burn out. I was thinking of getting her the Phillips Bluevisions. I heard they were really good on Maximas(9004 type), so I figgered I'd get a set for my Max and for her 240SX.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

s13 "silvia" use h4's but all s13 240's(pop up headlights) have sealed beams, you would need to get a h4 conversion kit first.

WeST
04-25-2001, 03:06 PM
Poor Mans HID's
http://www.groupbuycenter.com/buy.asp?row_id=2357

Catz Zeta's

Mark West - http://www.zilvia.net

04-25-2001, 06:46 PM
Catz Zeta = $5 relays in fancy packaging? hmmm...

Asad

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WeST:

Catz Zeta's
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ta2maki
04-25-2001, 10:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WeST:
Poor Mans HID's <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

not really, the zeta system works by pumping up the voltage (to 15 or 16v i believe). thus making the bulbs appear to shine whiter or "brighter". nice effect, but at a cost. it will significantly reduce the life of the bulbs. i run piaa superwhites(80w/80w) and they only last about 8 or 9 months. i'm guessing with the zeta system bulbs would last maybe 6 or 7 months at 60 bucks a set, that ain't cheap.

**DONOTDELETE**
04-25-2001, 10:09 PM
That catz zeta bullsh1t is SUCH an absolute waste of time and money. Sheesh, why dont people ever bother reading the facts -- yellow ISNT bad, and HID isnt superior for all conditions. HID is nice, but its expensive.. and for most of us, we dont need it.. thats the bottom line. If you want a nice bulb, get yourself a normal 90/100 bulb.. its SO damn powerful, that it looks white. No need to waste time with blue bulbs, they are useless.

- Mike

S14 K's
04-25-2001, 10:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by old_s13:
If you want a nice bulb, get yourself a normal 90/100 bulb.. its SO damn powerful, that it looks white. No need to waste time with blue bulbs, they are useless.

- Mike<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But will the 90/100 or any higher voltage bulbs melt the housing of the bulb??

**DONOTDELETE**
04-26-2001, 12:57 AM
Does anyone make any Headlight conversions?
Like the one on the MR2 posted a while back.
If i were to try to make them myself, what suggestions would you guys make?

Thanks
Rjay

04-26-2001, 06:32 AM
Umm...it's not just the Zeta system that makes them "whiter" -- notice that it includes new bulbs as well! The bulbs are what gives you the white light. Like I said -- the Zetas are probably just relays in fancy packaging.

When I installed relays in my S13, I recorded the voltages that were going to the bulb on low and high beam, with and without the relay. The measurements were taken with the car engine off, so the alternator wasn't producing voltage (if it was, the voltage would have been closer to 14 volts).

no relay --
lo: 11.51 Hi: 10.84
relay --
lo: 12.08 hi: 11.93
Batt: 12.16

And...there was a noticeable difference in brightness between the side with the relay and the side without.

Asad

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ta2maki:
not really, the zeta system works by pumping up the voltage (to 15 or 16v i believe). thus making the bulbs appear to shine whiter or "brighter". nice effect, but at a cost. it will significantly reduce the life of the bulbs. i run piaa superwhites(80w/80w) and they only last about 8 or 9 months. i'm guessing with the zeta system bulbs would last maybe 6 or 7 months at 60 bucks a set, that ain't cheap.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

**DONOTDELETE**
04-26-2001, 10:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by S14 K's:
But will the 90/100 or any higher voltage bulbs melt the housing of the bulb??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, the OEM wiring is good. I suggest taking my advice, stick with a nice set of 90/100's and take Asad's advice, re-wire your headlights to work with independant wiring/relay, you WILL get more light/power output.

- Mike

S14 K's
04-26-2001, 12:27 PM
So, what is the safe power level I can use? how about a 80/90?

S14 K's
04-26-2001, 12:29 PM
So, what is the safe power level I can use? how about a 80/90?

**DONOTDELETE**
04-26-2001, 01:01 PM
No, its fine. The inside of the lamp has a ceramic base that resists heat, and metal clips.. its all very heat resistant. Not like those damn cheap german cars. I've seen issues with the actual harness melting on both BMW's and VWs. The S14 should be fine, can easily accept HID or 90/100.

- Mike

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by asad137:
Yeah, but I think the 95-96's have plastic headlamp housings...the brighter/hotter bulbs could melt the housings.

Asad

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

04-26-2001, 11:00 PM
Yeah, but I think the 95-96's have plastic headlamp housings...the brighter/hotter bulbs could melt the housings.

Asad

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by old_s13:
No, the OEM wiring is good. I suggest taking my advice, stick with a nice set of 90/100's and take Asad's advice, re-wire your headlights to work with independant wiring/relay, you WILL get more light/power output.

- Mike<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>