PDA

View Full Version : Shocks/Stuts

**DONOTDELETE**
11-06-2000, 11:07 AM
What's the difference between the two? I went to the dealer and they inspected my car and said I needed to replace my front struts?
Struts? I thought I had shocks? Then he said I do...The rear has Shocks. Oh okay.

But of course he priced me an outragous price of 700 bux to replace them..I was like yeah right.. i can get some coilers for nearly that price....

Any suggestion for a set up for my S14. I would like something adjustable. I heard a lot of praise for the Tokicos. Any info would be helpful. thanks.

Tom

240fan
11-06-2000, 01:47 PM
I heard tokikos wear out fast, how about KYB agx they have them cheap at tirerack and jc whitney too, and are adjustable

11-06-2000, 02:29 PM
Your dealer is right, you have struts in the front and shocks in the rear. The difference is that a strut actually makes up part of the suspension's geometry, whereas a shock is just used to damp the motion of the suspension. One way to tell the difference would be to visualize the suspension without the damper (either shock or strut) in place. If the suspension geometry stays the same, then its a shock. If removing the damper changes the suspension geometry, then its a strut. On a 240 in particular, the front strut is also the top mount for the front suspension.

And, you're right, $700 is outrageous. You can get non-adjustable Tokico's for about $100 each, installation at a shop should take less than an hour (I could do it without power tools or a lift in about 2, start to finish).

KYB AGX's aren't available for S14's. And Tokico Illuminas aren't available for any 240's. I believe GAB makes adjustable shocks for S14's, but I hear they're pretty stiff.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom-Moon:
What's the difference between the two? I went to the dealer and they inspected my car and said I needed to replace my front struts?
Struts? I thought I had shocks? Then he said I do...The rear has Shocks. Oh okay.

But of course he priced me an outragous price of 700 bux to replace them..I was like yeah right.. i can get some coilers for nearly that price....

Any suggestion for a set up for my S14. I would like something adjustable. I heard a lot of praise for the Tokicos. Any info would be helpful. thanks.

Tom<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Super13
11-06-2000, 03:00 PM
hey asad do they make shocks / struts for the S13? (KYB AGX) also i saw some apexi's for the s13 240 does apex make struts / shocks for the s13, if so r they any good?

**DONOTDELETE**
11-06-2000, 04:08 PM
How about just going with a coilover system? Isn't that a strut/shock/spring combo? I know they are pretty expensive though.

11-06-2000, 05:49 PM
KYB does make S13 shocks/struts. I have them and I like them very much (coupled with Suspension Techniques springs), especially for the price (around $400 for a set). I have no experience with Apexi's shocks, so I can't help there.

Asad

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Super13:
hey asad do they make shocks / struts for the S13? (KYB AGX) also i saw some apexi's for the s13 240 does apex make struts / shocks for the s13, if so r they any good?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

**DONOTDELETE**
11-06-2000, 06:02 PM
If some people want some used sets let me know. they aren't really cheap, but cheaper than new.

Eric