PDA

View Full Version : Engine swap - RB, SR, KA -

omega
12-11-2000, 06:46 PM
Ok,
I've just stumbled across this website today. Its great that I've finally found a forum just for the 240. I have a black 96 240 sx and have been looking desperatly for some serious engine upgrades. Working with the KA24de (I hope thats the correct engine code) does not look appealing - it does not seem like it was intended to be used in a sport car. I have read many articles about the SR20DET engine swap, but always on s13's. I found from this website that now the SR20DET engines have variable controlled valves on there newer S14 and S15 (I guess like VTEC). Can someone please explain what engines are available for the the 96 240sx. And what about the RB26 dett engines - thats probably too expensive and a bit of an overkill to be swapping into a 240sx. I did not know they made RB25DET's. Are these engines still made in japan and easilly aquired. I also came across a message that mentioned an RB20DET - This sounds like it would be a perfect for a 240 if you didn't go with a SR20det - whats the difference between the SR and the RB engines (besides the prefix). Sorry about the long message and all the questions - just want to know whats available. I know almost nothing about these japanese nissan engines, so break it down for me. Thanks for any replies.
Sincerely,
Someone trying to learn alot more about these engines

12-12-2000, 12:24 AM
Welcome!

Any SR engine will swap into any year 240sx. The S14 and S15 engines have variable valve timing (not like VTEC), I believe the S15 engine adds variable valve lift (like VTEC). The S14 and S15 engines command pretty high premiums over the run-of-the-mill S13 engines.

An RB26DETT probably can be made to fit, but it won't be easy http://www.freshalloy.com/ I believe the RB20DET/25DET/26DETT are still in production, as well as non-turbo variants.

The SR20 and RB20 are very different beasts. First, all the RB engines are inline-sixes http://www.freshalloy.com/ In addition, the RB's have a cast-iron block, whereas the SR's are aluminum. Those are the major differences, I guess.

Asad

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by heinekenns:
Ok,
I've just stumbled across this website today. Its great that I've finally found a forum just for the 240. I have a black 96 240 sx and have been looking desperatly for some serious engine upgrades. Working with the KA24de (I hope thats the correct engine code) does not look appealing - it does not seem like it was intended to be used in a sport car. I have read many articles about the SR20DET engine swap, but always on s13's. I found from this website that now the SR20DET engines have variable controlled valves on there newer S14 and S15 (I guess like VTEC). Can someone please explain what engines are available for the the 96 240sx. And what about the RB26 dett engines - thats probably too expensive and a bit of an overkill to be swapping into a 240sx. I did not know they made RB25DET's. Are these engines still made in japan and easilly aquired. I also came across a message that mentioned an RB20DET - This sounds like it would be a perfect for a 240 if you didn't go with a SR20det - whats the difference between the SR and the RB engines (besides the prefix). Sorry about the long message and all the questions - just want to know whats available. I know almost nothing about these japanese nissan engines, so break it down for me. Thanks for any replies.
Sincerely,
Someone trying to learn alot more about these engines<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

**DONOTDELETE**
12-12-2000, 04:41 PM
has anybody measured the engine bay dimensions in a 240?

**DONOTDELETE**
12-12-2000, 06:34 PM
I know of 1 180sx(same **** as a 240sx) in Australia which has been fitted with the RB20det. so it is Possible.