PDA

View Full Version : SR flywheel questions.

ThanatosZ
11-14-2002, 12:25 PM
Ok this topic has been beaten to death, but I looked thru the search for a good 10-20mins reading a lot of stuff. even found an interesting thread about an argument on drivetrain loss lol. Anyways.. I want to know the pro's and con's, and which flywheel has the "least" con's.. I've already ordered an ACT Street clutch, so a clutch assembly isn't an option. I've heard lightweight flywheels can cause lag between shifts, and cause it to bog from launches.. now this is all stuff "i've heard" Can anyone shed some factual input. Also, the jun flywheel can only be resurfaced twice? Big negative there.. im assuming the toda is the same way? On the other hand the fidanza can be rebuilt, yes?

Well if anyone can help me out, i've been debating for 2 days now. http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

S13wannabe
11-14-2002, 01:40 PM
Not sure if I can help much here, but I do have an alloy flywheel. Not sure on the brand, it came with my SR. As for bogging, yeah, I do bog a little bit off the line if my RPMs aren't above 3K. As you probably know though, the benefit is more torque to the wheels. Between shifts, it feels normal, no lag, and when shifting quickly during hard acceleration she jumps back into action as soon as my foot is mashed down to the floor again. Sorry I can't give you more technical advice. I just know my car spins the wheels very easily when the turbo is spooled up, and I think it has a lot to do with the alloy flywheel.

mazdog
11-14-2002, 03:48 PM
I just want to add that I recently got the HKS lightened flywheel and that it is pretty heavy (don't know the weight for sure, if someone does, let me know) and is not rebuilable like the Fidanza, so it can probably only be resurfaced a couple time as well. I had heard of the "probs" with a really light wheel, so thats why i opted for something that was lighter but not super light, and high quality.

ThanatosZ
11-14-2002, 06:48 PM
See that's what I heard there's problems when going too light of a flywheel. I may end up getting either a jun or maybe the HKS.. just because its a nice intermediate. altho the only downfall is how many times it can be re-surfaced...

ThanatosZ
11-15-2002, 05:22 AM
Anyone know the details on the HKS flywheel? weight/type of metal? etc etc?

ThanatosZ
11-16-2002, 04:17 AM
anyone?

phase2
11-16-2002, 06:03 AM
1) 16 lbs
2) Chromoly 1 piece

ThanatosZ
11-16-2002, 06:33 AM
hey wayne, what do you think is the better flywheel to go with? I've been researching and asking people I know for a few days now. I've heard both negatives and positives about every flywheel option there is. http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif

phase2
11-16-2002, 07:55 AM
Personally we prefer TODA for the looks, finish and weight for road racing and daily drive. For Drag, HKS ones is better or keep stock flywheel because you will need the extra mass in the flywheel for drag.

Depends on your purpose. Another downside to lighter flywheels are that you can't resurface them as many times compare to heavier or stock flywheels.