PDA

View Full Version : What's a good boost controller?

**DONOTDELETE**
12-23-2000, 12:20 AM
For an SR20DET...

i was lookin at the Apex AVC-D and the
AVC-R...the AVC-R is twice as much, but is it worth it? What are some good choices for boost controllers?

NY S13 SR
12-23-2000, 11:32 AM
Electronic boost controllers will squeeze out a significant bit of extra power over a non-electronic one.

The Greddy Profec A is nice because it is 1/4 DIN sized and uses fuzzy logic. The HKS EVC IV is also a good unit. The Apexi is very large compared to the other 2. Features vary so check them out on the manufacturer's websites. All 3 retail about $600, a really good deal would be around $425 new, around $300 used. You will see a lot of used ones on e-bay, twinturbo.net's classifieds, etc.

Much cheaper (non-electronic) alternatives are all over the place including a $50 manual boost controller from Joe P.
http://www.turbologic.com/joepmbc/

Jeff

[This message has been edited by NY S13 SR (edited 12-24-2000).]

12-24-2000, 12:11 AM
Just to clarify...an electronic boost controller won't make any more *peak* power than a manual, it just gives you a flatter power curve.

I hear a lot of bad things about fuzzy-logic boost controllers (hard to set up, don't work all that well, etc.). Besides being simpler, non-fuzzy boost controllers are cheaper too http://www.freshalloy.com/ Examples are the Greddy Profec B, Blitz SSBC and DSBC (I got a secondhand, new-in-box Blitz SSBC for $100 off the 240sx.org classifieds http://www.freshalloy.com/), does Apex'i make a non-fuzzy boost controller?

Autospeed.com describes some very neat manual boost controllers in their articles...

Asad

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NY S13 SR:
Electronic boost controllers will squeeze out a significant bit of extra power over a non-electronic one.

The Greddy Profec A is nice because it is 1/4 DIN sized and uses fuzzy logic. The HKS EVC IV is also a good unit. The Apexi is very large compared to the other 2. Features vary so check them out on the manufacturer's websites. All 3 retail about $660, a really good deal would be around $425 new, around $300 used. You will see a lot of used ones on e-bay, twinturbo.net's classifieds, etc.

Much cheaper (non-electronic) alternatives are all over the place including a $50 manual boost controller from Joe P.
http://www.turbologic.com/joepmbc/

Jeff<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message has been edited by asad137 (edited 12-23-2000).]

12-24-2000, 07:07 AM
The AVC-R is a fuzzy logic controller, the AVC-D is a simpler, non-fuzzy boost controller with some neat features (like it will limit you to low boost at low RPM's so you don't spin your wheels off the line). Supposedly its designed specifically for drag racing, altho I'm sure it would work just fine on the street.

Asad

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NismoRyder:
For an SR20DET...

i was lookin at the Apex AVC-D and the
AVC-R...the AVC-R is twice as much, but is it worth it? What are some good choices for boost controllers?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

**DONOTDELETE**
12-24-2000, 09:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NY S13 SR:
The HKS EVC IV is also a good unit. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ive seen a lot of cars with this unit (on non-240's too)...is this a fuzzy logic? would electronic boost controllers w/ fuzzy logic be "safer"? all these electronic fuzzy logic ones look a a lil too much for me...i just want an easy to use boost controller that will let me change some settings...it will be for a streetcar/weekend racer...

[This message has been edited by NismoRyder (edited 12-24-2000).]

NY S13 SR
12-24-2000, 11:01 AM
I found that the easy to find used high-end EBC's were cheaper than a new lower-feature model. I think I closed a deal on the Greddy Profec A used for $325 shipped, but I'll know Tuesday. Yury had that one on his SR and he freaked out at the power over stock. Also it doesn't seem very hard to setup, once it is set you can just leave it alone, and use the 2 boost settings depending on how you want to drive.

Good point about the power curve Asad. EBC allows you to reach peak boost quicker, so you are making more power than before at a certain RPM range.

Jeff

12-24-2000, 11:58 AM
Just get a simple, non-fuzzy-logic controller like a Greddy Profec B, or Blitz SSBC or something. The EVC-IV is fuzzy-logic, but the EVC-EZ is not. I haven't heard all that many good testimonials about fuzzy-logic controllers, mostly because they're such a pain to get set up correctly. Suppsosedly a fuzzy-logic boost controller will have less of a boost spike than a non-fuzzy one, but I don't think boost spikes are really a problem even with non-fuzzy (hard?) controllers.

The Blitz SSBC is about as simple as it gets -- 2 knobs, one for "low boost" and one for "high boost", and a button to select between them (and a power button) and a display to tell you which setting you're on (hi or lo). You just turn the knob, do a run and see how much boost you get. One that allows you to set a certain boost level might be a bit more convenient.

Asad

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NismoRyder:
ive seen a lot of cars with this unit (on non-240's too)...is this a fuzzy logic? would electronic boost controllers w/ fuzzy logic be "safer"? all these electronic fuzzy logic ones look a a lil too much for me...i just want an easy to use boost controller that will let me change some settings...it will be for a streetcar/weekend racer...

[This message has been edited by NismoRyder (edited 12-24-2000).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>