PDA

View Full Version : Are glass headlights DOT legal?

_Nzo_
11-17-2002, 06:17 PM
If I were to install glass headlights from japan or europe on an s14 would they be legal? Does the chp care about the fact that they are glass or the difference in cutoffs? Would anyone be able to tell if the headlights are glass or not (ie is there any obvious indicator of DOT approval)?

Kookz
11-17-2002, 06:24 PM
Japan? You'd be screwed. They would shine right in the CHP's eyes as he drove toward you, then he would bust you. Germany, you should be ok.

blacksr
11-17-2002, 06:52 PM
post pics

Kookz
11-17-2002, 07:06 PM
RHD beam pattern (vrtelektrique's S13 silvia) http://www.djelektrique.com/spec/hid/wall1.jpg

_Nzo_
11-17-2002, 07:09 PM
When I said CHP I meant in terms of them inspecting the car, not them seeing it on the road.

blacksr
11-17-2002, 07:29 PM
post pics of the glass headlights on s14b

asad
11-17-2002, 07:33 PM
Don't DOT-legal headlights have 3 little nubs (for machine aiming) sticking out from the front? Or maybe that's just the sealed-beams...

Anyway, I don't know if DOT headlights say "DOT" on them, but E-code headlights have an encircled "E" on the front (or an "E#" where # is some number).

Asad

_Nzo_
11-17-2002, 10:07 PM
Thx asad, what is E-code?

asad
11-18-2002, 01:59 AM
E-code = ECE lights = lights approved for european use, such as the lights from Germany.

Asad

AKADriver
11-18-2002, 10:11 AM
DOT lights are marked as such.

E-code headlights are usually not DOT legal.

Cwestin
11-18-2002, 12:03 PM
BEFORE:
PLASTIC (http://www.nmautoscene.com/phpBB2/download.php?id=189)
'96 with stock USDM plastic

AFTER:
GLASS (http://www.nmautoscene.com/phpBB2/download.php?id=190)
'96 with German-spec glass headlamps.

-Rick

champa
11-18-2002, 12:23 PM
wow! those Gspec glass lense look really good http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/shocked.gif

Zen S14
11-18-2002, 12:56 PM
Hey C-westin, did your German lights come with electronic height adjustment? Also, the high beam bulbs are H5 or something? The type usually in Fog lights?

I am just curious how you wired the high beams in your car and also how you adjust the beam aiming.

sil40sx
11-18-2002, 02:06 PM
where can we get the german ones

Cwestin
11-18-2002, 02:41 PM
ok to answer some Q's...yes the lights come with the electric height angle adjustment, however the actual unit mounted inside the car for adjustment control is NOT included...the high beams are H1's and they are easily wired up by mearly splicing the power and ground wires from your harness and connecting them either by solder or wire connectors to the power and ground of the H1 bulb...took me five minutes to splice solder and electric tape them both and they work great!!!...road lighting is improved by 5 times at least, instead of the blurry hue that the plastic ones put out you get a clean crisp light which makes spending top dollar for high quality bulbs worth it, because you will get the most out of them instead of looking just like $10 autozone bulbs int he plastic housings...

2nd: I can get you the German Spec 95-96 headlamps

edit: Please email Rick for details if you're interested -- Asad

grhdez@msn.com

Cwestin
11-18-2002, 02:45 PM
also, my lights were aimed perfectly when they came, but there is a way to adjust them manually...there is 2 screw adjusters, just like the USDM lamps, which you can use to manually turn the electric motor and adjust your beam... http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

-Rick

neo_rambo
11-18-2002, 04:48 PM
Was there a problem in the installation? Did you have to modify anything to get them in

Cwestin
11-18-2002, 06:51 PM
nope...bolt out, bolt in...took me 15 minutes to do everything.

-Rick

Zen S14
11-18-2002, 07:09 PM
I was curious because mine was imported from Sweden. I wanted to see if there were any differences. Thanks for the quick replies. They are very nice headlights and I like the fact that the beam pattern is more evenly distributed than the US headlights.

A little off topic but...German and Swedesh 200sx has left hand drive SR20DETs. Therefore, the wiring harness should be perfectly setup for our SR conversions right? Just a thought...

RDM_II
11-18-2002, 09:40 PM
Damn I can't wait to get mine. I'm going through a German client of mine who works for VW. The groupdeal that's going is a great offer to those who can't get them, but someone along the line got greedy, I can't justify the inflated price.

Rogue
11-18-2002, 10:49 PM
Zen, I have been wondering the same thing for a year now.

Daimon

Cwestin
11-19-2002, 01:11 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small[/img]In reply to:</font><hr />
The groupdeal that's going is a great offer to those who can't get them, but someone along the line got greedy, I can't justify the inflated price.

[/QUOTE]

I hope your not talking about my group deal...cause my price is not inflated at all...im making $10 off this price and my brother is making $10 off this...how is that inflated?...im not just offering the headlamps, im offering the corner lamps as well, and shipping is almost $50 from Germany to the states...I hope you are talking about the old group deal that was going down on Zilvia.net ...cuz THAT was inflated...$850 for JUST the headlamps!!!

-Rick

**DONOTDELETE**
11-19-2002, 01:58 PM
I honestly wonder what the price from a salvage yard would be.. ??.. I'm not trying to say that your price is inflate.. I as well as everyone else is just wondering, it were to be cheaper if I were to fly there and pick up a couple sets.. as I fly for free.. and baggage allowance shipping would be free.. and the ticket would be free. the only expense I would incur would be the departute tax..

Cwestin
11-19-2002, 03:47 PM
good idea...i fly free as well (my parents work for american airlines)...but i wouldnt fly over their just to buy headlamps...unless i vacationed there for a little bit.

-Rick

Zen S14
11-19-2002, 03:54 PM
I hope you can find them in the German Junkyards, Sweden does not have any that I am aware of. That was my first choice as well.

Don't forget European countries are alot smaller than the United States, and probably doesn't have as many 200sx in the Junkyards. Any good part will probably be bought up by the local people anyway.

**DONOTDELETE**
11-19-2002, 05:50 PM
True.. but as with anything.. research research.. and more research makes everything easier.. also.. keep in mind that if EVERY 200sx over in Germany came with glass headlight's .. their not going to be as big of a commodity as they are here.... simmilar to the abundance of KA24DE's over here.. it would be just the same for someone over there to find.. (Don't know why they would want em) Plastic headlights.... it's just a matter of what's common in a specific location..

sil40sx
11-19-2002, 06:23 PM
man, id fly there for free if could, then id go to japan and pick up some other stuff.

Zen S14
11-19-2002, 07:06 PM
Ah...but you are assuming 200sx is actually popular there. I am not sure that is the case. If it is as rare as it is here, there will not be many sets of intact lights laying around.

**DONOTDELETE**
11-19-2002, 07:38 PM
lol.. ahh too many unknown variables to predict.. that's why I refer back to my orrigional statement.. RESEARCH... Heck.. if it's the 32nd day after your pet hampster takes 2 drinks of water, after the 3rd full moon of the yr of the monkey as referred to the chineese culture.. you may come across a troll selling skunked beer. in turn you would then become drunk and stumble upon a set...?.. man anythings obtainable.. you just have to have the resources in order to obtain it..