PDA

View Full Version : 240SX vs. Prelude SR

**DONOTDELETE**
01-04-2001, 09:15 PM
hey guys, i do need your help here.
i own a 93's 240SX SE, totally stock. A friend of mine would like to have race with my 240 with his newly bought 95's prelude SR.
What is the odd and are there any way for me to "solve" his prelude SR? That isn't a VTec prelude ( where in canada, SRV is the top model and it's with the VTec ). there will be uphill and a straight road of about 1.5km. any suggestion or advice? : )
thanks!!!

Takumi of Vancouver

**DONOTDELETE**
01-04-2001, 09:18 PM
Oh yeah, just an additional infor. about that prelude... it's a stock car too , with 160hp, FWD. Both cars are 5speed. : )

**DONOTDELETE**
01-04-2001, 09:46 PM
160hp, and the prelude weights about 2900 belive it or not, so the same or heavier if you have no power options. The 2.3 liter has less torque so its on your side. A simple K&N filter inside the airbox is a must, $50 or so. He might not even think that you have done anything. That is if you agreed to keep it stock. Beside it I don't see anything else that you can do. My guess is on the 240 as the uphill is favourable to you.

He just bought it, while you already know your 240 limits.

**DONOTDELETE**
01-04-2001, 10:14 PM
great, thanks for the infor, guys! hehe..
yeah, that prelude driver is another typical and "radical" honda owner. He pays no respect to any Nissan on the road (well, except he never dare to race a 300ZX). I don't think he is gonna take my 240SX seriously, since it's a Nissan. And he thinks he can handle me well with his extra 5hps. ouch..

**DONOTDELETE**
01-04-2001, 10:17 PM
great, thanks for the infor, guys! hehe..
yeah, that prelude driver is another typical and "radical" honda owner. He pays no respect to any Nissan on the road (well, except he never dare to race a 300ZX). I don't think he is gonna take my 240SX seriously, since it's a Nissan. And he thinks he can handle me well with his extra 5hps. ouch..

**DONOTDELETE**
01-04-2001, 10:20 PM
start on the uphill if you can. that will give you good weight transfer!

argetni
01-05-2001, 05:24 AM
Takumi Fukuwara: You're in Vancouver, too? What area are you gonna race your friend? It'll be a interesting race. http://www.freshalloy.com/

Nismo
01-05-2001, 07:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by '97 S14 SE Turbo:
...don't dwell too much near redline. There isn't too much power there.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>97, do you know where I can find a stock dyno chart and specs (tire size, vehicle weight, and gear ratios) for the late-model 240SX. I've heard the "no-power at redline" comment by many 240 owners here and I'd like to run the numbers myself and post a graph of acceleration.

**DONOTDELETE**
01-05-2001, 12:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by argetni:
Takumi Fukuwara: You're in Vancouver, too? What area are you gonna race your friend? It'll be a interesting race. http://www.freshalloy.com/<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yo my fellow vancouverite.. yeah i am in vancouver too! We are gonna race all the way from lougheed mall along lougheed hwy to SFU, up and down hill there, and back to lougheed mall thru Canada way. I have seen lots of races here before. Last month alone i have seen a Type R integra smoking a BMW 328i, an S14 240sx tailed a 97 celica GT-S and a 95 Eagle Talon TS-i dumping a 95 VW corrado ... yeah..and a race between Mustang GT and Camaro where both cars were stopped and charged...
risky huh? yeah, u can call us crazyheads, but yeah.. we love to rage our dreams~ lol!

**DONOTDELETE**
01-10-2001, 06:24 PM
thanks a lot guys, for your opinion and suggestion regarding the race between my 240SX and the Prelude SR.
We have finally raced it out in a quiet tuesday nite somewhere around west van, on a northwest marine drive that has no traffic at that time at all.
We started the race on uphill. The 240 has a better jump on uphill, with the prelude coming around 2 seconds behind. That prelude seemed quite heavy the way it climbed uphill though. On our way down, prelude began catching up with the 240. The prelude has gone ahead of the 240 at times, with two cars took turn taking lead. Now i really found how useful the SuperHicas 4WS is, it made tight cornering possible, and easy. And so the 240 has a 1 second lead entering the hwy.
On the hwy, the low end torque of my 240 has really helped to pull away from the prelude. On the straight line, prelude SR really has no match for the 240 ( i don't know whether it has heavier body or what) And before the prelude could begin to catch up, the 240 has passed the end point. and the race ended with the 240 beating the Prelude SR by 5 seconds!
The conclusion we made after the race was, without the Vtec, Prelude is just another boulevard cruiser, rather than a sport car. RWD cars always run faster than the same class FWD cars on a straight line, thanks to the 50/50 body weight transfer.( With the engine and most parts placed in front of the car, the two front tires would have better grip on the road and so the power would be better distributed. Of course, not as balanced as a 4WD http://www.freshalloy.com/
Thanks again for all the comments here, guys! We did race at a place that won't endanger others' lives. I love car racing, and i do respect others too. : )

Sil80

**DONOTDELETE**
01-10-2001, 06:56 PM
Hey "Takumi Fukuwara" thats a good racing story. Thats awesome how you came out victoious. I am getting ready to race a Integra and your story actually gives me more confidence of how much power the 240SX can handle! Keep us informed of later road kills!!!
Later~

240sx
01-10-2001, 07:12 PM
I went to www.carpoint.com (http://www.carpoint.com) and checked out the specs (it's a U.S. Site)
the S model is 2.2L and has 135 HP
the Si (SR In Canada?) has 160 from a 2.4L.
the V-Tech in the U.S. (SR-V in Canada) has 190 Horses from a 2.2L.

[This message has been edited by 240sx (edited 01-10-2001).]

**DONOTDELETE**
01-10-2001, 11:31 PM
No it is 160hp, that year prelude came out with 3 engine choices. At least in Canada.
2.2L 135hp torque?
2.3L 160hp torque?
2.2L Vtec 190hp torque?
No idea about torque...