PDA

View Full Version : Differential sensor?

**DONOTDELETE**
01-08-2001, 06:08 AM
What is this sensor plugged into the top left hole on the back of the diff. cover on my '95 S14?

**DONOTDELETE**
01-08-2001, 09:46 AM
Yeah its the ground for the diff. Hook it up. Should be a braided wire with a female spade on the end. There should be a ring washer and a male spade that is bolted in between the nut and the rear subframe.

01-09-2001, 12:29 AM
Are you sure its not just a ground wire?

Asad

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RWPower:
What is this sensor plugged into the top left hole on the back of the diff. cover on my '95 S14? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

**DONOTDELETE**
01-09-2001, 12:34 AM
I don't know what it is. It's plugged in though. I'm gonna go outside and look at it again. I'll be back.

Well, it could be a ground wire. It's just a little black wire with a plastic end piece that looks like its plugged into the diff. cover. Does anyone have this on there differential cover?

[This message has been edited by RWPower (edited 01-08-2001).]

**DONOTDELETE**
01-09-2001, 06:05 AM
Why is that ground there? What is it's purpose?

**DONOTDELETE**
01-17-2001, 05:58 AM
Does anyone have anymore info on this wire? Where does it go? What does it do? Why is it there? I'm very curious.

01-17-2001, 08:32 AM
Its just a ground wire. Lots of things in the car are grounded...no big mystery...

Asad

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RWPower:
Does anyone have anymore info on this wire? Where does it go? What does it do? Why is it there? I'm very curious.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

01-17-2001, 02:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mav1178:
IIRC from my physics classes, static electricity charges speed up the oxidation process of iron and other metals... (Asad, correct me if I'm wrong).
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dunno, I never learned that in any of my classes. Of course, I'm not an engineer or anything, so they don't teach us useful stuff http://www.freshalloy.com/

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>
If you look at your catalytic converter, you'll find the same ground wire.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well...its a *different* ground wire http://www.freshalloy.com/

Asad

**DONOTDELETE**
01-17-2001, 05:33 PM
You are wright, that is exactly what I wrote in another thread.

My hypothesis is that it might be some kind of precoution if for ex. you hit a high voltage poll and the wires would touch the car, the ground has different electric fields and this might help to distribute the charge better. Or it might be used to prevent the exhaust from rusting. If I recall corectly electricity can speed up rusting and slow it down too. The whole oxidation process. Correct me if I'm wrong on those things.
Wow I really sound like a nerd now. Got to work on this.

Mav1178
01-18-2001, 12:33 AM
Does anyone have anymore info on this wire? Where does it go? What does it do? Why is it there? I'm very curious.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lots of things are grounded, as to not cause electric buildup and possibly damage electric-sensitive parts of the car. IIRC from my physics classes, static electricity charges speed up the oxidation process of iron and other metals... (Asad, correct me if I'm wrong).

If you look at your catalytic converter, you'll find the same ground wire.

-alex

**DONOTDELETE**
01-18-2001, 05:55 AM
Thanks guys.