PDA

View Full Version : Murano Priced too high!

**DONOTDELETE**
11-24-2002, 06:12 PM
After waiting a year for a Murano I was excited to see them start rolling in this week into Northern California. Brought three friends in to the local dealer as well. The test drve was great – I was sold.

When it came time to buy however my excitement quickly turned into disappointment – these vehicles are float-out too expensive. Cant believe I cannot get a fully-loaded Murano for under $35K. Further dealer mark-up and lack of financing options available make them even more prohibitive. Falore Nissan in Sunnyvale had a 2WD model marked up $9K - $41K – are they nuts!!! There are few “Nissan” customers in today’s economy that can get a vehicle at this price without a little financing help – even if it was 4.9% for 5 years.

Lexus certified preowned 2001 RX 300s can be had at $31K with 2.9% financing for up to 66 months. Lexus just ranked first in durability by a new JD Power survey. A 2001 certified preowned Mercedes ML 430 with a V8 and navigation can be had for about $32K – that thing is a tank with a real rocket underneath.

It breaks my heart not to be able to consider the Murano but it today’s economy that is just too much money. Fully loaded under $35K and 4.9% - the would have had me.

ownersite
11-24-2002, 07:30 PM
$9000 markup?? Holy cr*p!

Not only is that gouging, it shows a complete lack of understanding on the dealer's part of what this vehicle is supposed to compete with. Of course, whether someone will pay that outrageous a markup we'll have to wait and see. I hope nobody gives a dealer the satisfaction or even the idea that the Murano is worth that much.

MuranoFANATIC
11-24-2002, 08:00 PM
FIND ANOTHER DEALER QUICK, here in NY no problem with MSRP and small discount actually!!

**DONOTDELETE**
11-25-2002, 12:32 PM
I am in the same boat. I have been waiting for this car for a long time and the Murano's have finally arrived here in the California Bay Area. I called around to every dealership, and it appears somewhere around 6 dealers each got one car this last week. Most got a silver SL 2WD. One dealer just got his second. I have been to 3 of the closest dealers and each had markups of $9K, $6K, and $3K above MSRP. The $9K is the Sunnyvale dealership tmcdonald is referring to. I had the same response, are these guys nuts?

The best dealership around happens to also be the place with the most "reasonable" $3K markup, so I went there and did a little more digging. They can be talked down to a $1K markup, but no lower at least not at this point. Furthermore they think the markups are going to continue like this on into late spring where they might start selling at MSRP. All of this depends upon supply and demand, but each dealership only gets a few cars a month and this is a major metro area with several million people living here. Even in this economy it just takes 50 or so people out of the several million to pony up the dough and we are all going to pay higher prices because of that. This dealership already has over 6 cars on order for customers already so the bidding war has begun. Nissan needs to start cranking these things out soon so we can all get one.

**DONOTDELETE**
11-25-2002, 01:40 PM
I have to agree with ownersite...those kinds of mark-ups demonstrate a lack of understanding of where the Murano fits in the market. I work for a dealer here in SoCal and we're selling them for sticker...odd that the difference between North and South would be so huge! Maybe they feel that the weather and terrain in the bay area will drive up demand for an AWD? As for 4.9% financing, that's lower than what NMAC is offering, but you should be able to get that through BofA if you have excellent credit. Good luck!

**DONOTDELETE**
11-26-2002, 09:52 AM
Post deleted by midyear

222Max
11-26-2002, 11:50 AM
Man, sounds like you change cars like I change radio stations.

Nizzan
11-26-2002, 12:20 PM
What didn't you like about your new Z?

HARDDRIVE
11-26-2002, 01:54 PM
Alas, I have come to aid all those who wish to buy a MURANO at a "fair" price. You could order from my dealership, here in Honolulu, ship it to the West Coast and still be 'far&away' cheaper than any of those dealers in Cali.

How I can do this is because, we are the #1 Nissan Dealer in our state of Hawaii and shall soon be getting a LARGE allocation (an allocation that size will take up more than a 1/3 of our lot) which means...they all gotta go! Don't pay too much there in Cali http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/mad.gif ...the 'dock workers' have now reached an agreement (no more strike) and shipping is only $851.00 w/ Matson Shipping Co http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif ...feel free to check me out first, I 'd like to try and help if I can.

Aloha <font color="orange[/img] </font color>

dempa
11-27-2002, 10:41 PM
shop around outside the bayarea

**DONOTDELETE**
11-27-2002, 11:24 PM
Post deleted by midyear

Not_Vin_Diesel
11-28-2002, 02:24 PM
I agree that markups on the Murano is kind of foolish considering the X-over has no history in the market place. By the same token though, I think it's regular pricing is pretty competitive for what you get. With a 9K mark up on the Murano, the pre-owned Lexus you found or the pre-owned ML430 would be a better choice, but if you can find a Murano for MSRP or less, you can't go wrong.

FanaticZ
11-28-2002, 06:46 PM
sounds like a dealer specific problem. just like with the altima, supply will dictate demand and the dealers will be able to charge what they like until their lots get filled up. as far as the economy excuse, you're looking at a $35k suv, if things were that bad you would be looking for an echo.

i don't really see anything that would make an ml430 or rx300 more desirable other than the ornament on the hood(if you're into that type opf thing). the murano has more than enough features to compete in the 30k price range, not to mention the vq pulls it down the 1/4(mag racer) faster than both the v8 ml and underpowered rx. and as lexus finished first in 1998 vehicle dependablility, mercedes finished below average due to the poor reliability of the ml series suv. http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

fatddyslam69
12-01-2002, 04:30 AM
IF ANY OF U ARE HAVING THESE PROBLEMS AND LIVE IN THE SO CALI AREA, OR ARE WITHIN a 3 HOUR DRIVE EVEN, I STRONGLY RECOMMEND GOING TO THOUSAND OAKS NISSAN/THOUSAND OAKS INFINITI. The cars at these two lots are not marked up....however, they are short in demand! There were a number of 15 MURANOS for the first allocation-there were three left when i got there, and a half hour later, when i was leaving, there were two. THESE CARS ARE MOVING FAST AND THE DEALER HAS ABSOLUTELY NO MARK UP!!!!!!!! Very nice people too, even nicer car!!!!!!

**DONOTDELETE**
12-01-2002, 09:27 AM
Could anyone explain to me why I have to pay almost 4,000 to get a 750.00 Vehicle Dynamics Control option? In order to get this 749 dollar option you must FIRST get a sunroof, premium package, AND leather.
SL Premium Package 1,499
Sunroof 999
Sl Leather Package 1,299
Now after I have spent 3,797.00 I can finally get the vehicle dynamics control for an extra 749. Any safety gear should be available without requiring any other options for the car. This is NONSENSE. Why even price vehicle dynamics as a 749 option?? It will cost you an extra 3,797.00 just to be able to request it. http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/mad.gif http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/crazy.gif http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/mad.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
12-01-2002, 11:45 AM
When I first glanced at your post I thought I was reading my own email to the head of Nissan's marketing department! Seriously, about 10 days ago I phoned someone in Communications at Nissan North America's headquarters, and he suggested I write to a woman named M.K. who had a lot of input into the pricing. My point was EXACTLY the same as yours, namely, that making me pay nearly $3800 in comfort and convenience options IN ORDER TO KEEP MY FAMILY SAFER via VDC (which would cost $750) was an OUTRAGE. Really, it seemed a lot more like something head-in-the-sand American companies used to do while Japan was busy making better, more sensible cars. The guy I talked to was very accomodating, but I haven't heard back from the woman in marketing/pricing.

Admin's note: Email address removed. Please email: nnaconsumeraffairs@nissan-usa.com - as they are more equipped to deal with consumer affairs

I don't want to harass her; I just want them to get their priorities straight. Let's hope they figure this out soon. It's a terrible thing for public relations, if you ask me.

Charlie

**DONOTDELETE**
12-01-2002, 01:49 PM
After looking at various SUV's for the past several months and pretty much settling on the Toyota Highlander, my wife and I headed down to Sacramento last Saturday to make our purchase. On our way down we happened to pass a Nissan dealer who had one Murano sitting out front. It was a Polished Pewter SL AWD model (premium pack., sunroof, leather, VDC). WE had never seen this vehicle before and decided to swing in for a closer look. After test driving we decided to crunch some numbers. This vehicle had a $5,000.00 dealer mark-up. I told them that I wasn't even going to consider paying that mark-up. After negotiating for about 1/2 hour, we settled on $220.00 under MRSP. We have been driving the car for a week now and are very happy with it. There are a few cons, but the pros far out-weigh them. So, don't let the dealer mark-up scare you off, you might also be able to purchase your without having to pay these outrageous mark-ups. Good luck!

**DONOTDELETE**
12-02-2002, 11:32 PM
the pricing of this vehicle is crazy... what was nissan thinking? the top of the line should go for $32k. i just don't see anyone paying over $35k for a "NISSAN!"(besides the Z) i would get a highlander or order a FX35... its just not worth it to me... sorry

MURANIML
12-03-2002, 08:04 AM
The Murano is an amazing car. Great looks and a pleasure to drive. However, it's too expensive. I think Nissan priced it that way because it's "new". In my opinion, the Pathfinder is a step above the Murano. It's similar in price and you get way more for your money. Not to mention, the Pathfinder is an SUV and the Murano is a car with monster wheels. But, I have to hand it to Nissan... I'm still thinking of getting the Murano just for the novelty of it (and the fuel savings). Damn the price!!

2HD
12-03-2002, 12:24 PM
I think another reason why Nissan priced it the way they did was to get that image of Nissans being "cheap" and a bragin sort of thing out of peoples minds. But! The packages are unexcusable. If your going to have a very high staring price of $28k then at least make the vehicle come in fully loaded at 34k at the most. Nissan better have a really good reason for the pricing. I really want to know why they priced it so high. Does the CVT cost that much?