PDA

View Full Version : Anyone done the KA24DE swap in to a SOHC S13?

redlyne
01-21-2001, 05:04 PM
I may have an opportunity to buy a complete KA24DE, 5sp, ECU, harness, and was wondering what needed to be done to make it fit. I know the PS pumps are on different sides, will I need a pump from the DE or can I just have longer lines made? Are there any other differences, such as the bellhousings, or can I use the tranny from my SOHC? Will the exhaust manifold from the DE mate up to my stock exhaust system? Will I need the intake piping from the other car, they look a little different, or can I use mine. Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA,

Sean

01-21-2001, 06:45 PM
The bellhousings are the same, you can use your SOHC tranny. It will fit your stock exhaust (all S13 exhausts are the same) -- just make sure you get the secondary tube that connects the manifold to the catalyst. You will probably need the intake tube from the DOHC (the throttle body is in a different location), and probably the MAF as well.

Not sure about the PS -- easiest for sure would just be to get a DOHC pump -- or just leave it off!

Asad

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by redlyne:
I may have an opportunity to buy a complete KA24DE, 5sp, ECU, harness, and was wondering what needed to be done to make it fit. I know the PS pumps are on different sides, will I need a pump from the DE or can I just have longer lines made? Are there any other differences, such as the bellhousings, or can I use the tranny from my SOHC? Will the exhaust manifold from the DE mate up to my stock exhaust system? Will I need the intake piping from the other car, they look a little different, or can I use mine. Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA,

Sean<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

redlyne
01-21-2001, 07:45 PM
Cool. I figured I'd need the down pipe, hopefully I can get the intake piping with it. Is there anywhere that I can get a vaccumm diagram for a DOHC w/o buying an FSM? Or are the close enough that I can figure it out? Probably not.

And as far as powersteering goes, I'm a wimp, so I'll be keeping it. Also, are the PS lines removable from the steering box (so I can get them from DOHC car) or will I have to get them made? I'll look in the morning. Thanks for the help, and like before, if there are any little things pertaining to the swap that haven't been discussed, let me know. Thanks.

Sean

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by asad137:
The bellhousings are the same, you can use your SOHC tranny. It will fit your stock exhaust (all S13 exhausts are the same) -- just make sure you get the secondary tube that connects the manifold to the catalyst. You will probably need the intake tube from the DOHC (the throttle body is in a different location), and probably the MAF as well.

Not sure about the PS -- easiest for sure would just be to get a DOHC pump -- or just leave it off!

Asad

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

01-21-2001, 10:47 PM
What year is the KA24DE you're getting? I can scan the pages from either a '91 or '92 FSM (I doubt its different between those years but I can check). And I think there's an S14 vacuum diagram somewhere on www.240-sx.com (http://www.240-sx.com) .

I don't know much about the PS lines...I'd imagine there are fittings on the pump so you can remove the lines.

Asad

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by redlyne:
Is there anywhere that I can get a vaccumm diagram for a DOHC w/o buying an FSM? Or are the close enough that I can figure it out? Probably not.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

redlyne
01-22-2001, 09:07 PM
Actually, that would be quite badass of you, Asad. I'm not sure about the year, but I'm pretty sure it's from an S13, the guy should be getting back to me tomorrow. I didn't get around to checking the PS lines, I know there are these bolt on clamp style fittings on the pump side, I was wondering about the steering rack side. It would be nice to just yank them of a DOHC car, you know? Oh well, I should know tomorrow.

Oh, and I spent about an hour at B&N today leafing through a copy of Maximum Boost, I shall get this book.

Sean

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by asad137:
What year is the KA24DE you're getting? I can scan the pages from either a '91 or '92 FSM (I doubt its different between those years but I can check). And I think there's an S14 vacuum diagram somewhere on www.240-sx.com (http://www.240-sx.com) .

I don't know much about the PS lines...I'd imagine there are fittings on the pump so you can remove the lines.

Asad

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message has been edited by redlyne (edited 01-22-2001).]

240sxTurbo
01-23-2001, 08:11 AM
Just completing a 91 to 89 swap, soon to have site and pictures. You will need lines or need to make them one, i'm opting for the second.

redlyne
01-23-2001, 10:32 AM
I have good news. The engine is from an S14 ('95) and he even lives in Orlando. I might be spending a little more, but this means I can pick it up myself (no shipping) and he said I could drive it while it was in the car. It's got 122k on it, http://www.freshalloy.com/ , but he said the compression was in spec, no ticks, no smoke. WOOHOO!!! I'll be checking about the PS lines tonight.

Hey 240sxturbo, what all did you need to swap out for the DOHC as far as your intake, exhaust system, and what not. Also, did your accesories from the SOHC fit on the DE? Like the alt, AC, and what not? I'm so happy, I can't wait to get my car running again.

Sean

redlyne
01-23-2001, 08:14 PM
I got to thinking, would the secondary exhaust pipe from an S14 work for my S13 or do I have to steal one from an S13? That's pretty much the only thing I'm not clear on.

I just want to thank you guys for the help. FreshAlloy rocks and the people that make it up have a lot to do with it.

Sean

01-23-2001, 10:54 PM
Do you care about emissions requirements? I think one issue is that the EGR tube lines up differently on S13 and S14 DOHC's...so if you used a manifold and secondary from an S13 DOHC, it wouldn't line up with the EGR. Plus, the S13 has the AIV hardware, which the S14 doesn't (yay, more space in the engine bay!).

Dunno if there are any actual fitment problems though...

Asad

I got to thinking, would the secondary exhaust pipe from an S14 work for my S13 or do I have to steal one from an S13? That's pretty much the only thing I'm not clear on.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

redlyne
01-24-2001, 05:10 PM
Emmisions? Bah!!! I live in Tallahasse, the asscrack of Florida. They don't check emissions here. I have no intention of putting the EGR or any of that nifty crap on there. However, I know that the KA24E cuts fuel when the revs are over 2200 and the throttle is closed. This makes a neat, yet really annoying pop/gurgle sound when you let off the gas when it's in gear. Do the S14 motors do this, and if they do, will it make the offending noise? Also, what side is your ECU on, I was just wondering if maybe the ECU was on the other side of the car for some reason.

Sean

Do you care about emissions requirements? I think one issue is that the EGR tube lines up differently on S13 and S14 DOHC's...so if you used a manifold and secondary from an S13 DOHC, it wouldn't line up with the EGR. Plus, the S13 has the AIV hardware, which the S14 doesn't (yay, more space in the engine bay!).

Dunno if there are any actual fitment problems though...

Asad

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>