PDA

View Full Version : Satellite Radio

**DONOTDELETE**
11-30-2002, 09:44 PM
Doesn't XM radio and Nissan have an agreement to install satellite radio in the 03 Pathfinder and Murano. I have seen it in the Pathfinder, but I cannot find it as an option for the Murano. I emailed Nissan and asked them about this. Their response was Nissan had not released any information about this yet. Those of you that have bought one, visited dealerships, drove one, or work at dealerships please provide any feedback you can on this subject. Nissan has even taken it off their website when reviewing all the options for it. What gives?? http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/confused.gif http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/confused.gif

memnoch
12-01-2002, 12:11 AM
the dealer here told me that satellite radio won't be available till march next year. i have actually sent an e-mail to Bose regarding the satellite radio-readiness of this unit but have not received a reply yet. i was curious as to the tuner, antenna, and cabling used, whether it is proprietary (Bose-specific). i think that the setup used in the Pathfinder should work in the Murano as well...
it is disappointing that nobody in the dealerships are really knowledgeable about satellite radio. and i guess XM and Sirius is to blame. considering that both are in desperate need of subscribers, they should spread the knowledge better...

**DONOTDELETE**
12-04-2002, 09:55 PM
Nissan's official response was. Thanks for contacting us blah blah and satellite radio in the Murano will be late availability but no date has been set. Such a shame that they don't even know for sure when they will offer it. By the way, I contacted XM(didn't bother with SIRIUS) and they said the same thing.

xrayjay
12-05-2002, 06:22 AM
I just got my Murano at the begining of this week and asked the dealer the same thing. My vehicle already has the satellite receiver on the roof. The dealer said that its just a simple plug in module that they have to put in..depending on which provider you go with.

memnoch
12-05-2002, 12:13 PM
i'm currently using a Delphi SkyFi home kit. i mounted both cradle and antenna in the dash (might as well make use of that expansive space). it is connected via casette adapter to the Bose unit. it's the next best thing to direct connection, and without the problems associated with FM modulation. i am planning to use this setup until the actual module comes in, then i'll switch the home kit to another location in my home (reason why i went with the home kit rather than the car kit). but i'm actually planning on going with Sirius in the Murano.
is this plug-in module any different from the implementation with the Pathfinder? isn't satellite radio available in the Pathfinder already? is the installation different?

**DONOTDELETE**
12-08-2002, 01:23 PM
The Bose radios are satellite radio ready. Nissan DID NOT approve of the quality of the cabling used and so they will send the "fix" to dealerships where vehicle owners have called and received an incident #. Nissan corporate will then follow-up on behalf of the owner until the radio is ready-to-go and owners can choose between the two sat suppliers. http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/smirk.gif http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

memnoch
12-11-2002, 11:51 AM
i called Bose Automotive through their toll-free number to get some details on the Bose system for the Murano. i didn't think the woman i talked to was knowledgeable with the specifics... but she said that the radio unit was supplied by Clarion (or Pioneer) and gave me a number to call them instead. she told me that Bose just supplies the amp and speakers. could this be true?
Clarion and Pioneer supply XM tuners. how about for Sirius? and would it also be possible to connect a Clarion/Pioneer aftermarket XM tuner to the unit seamlessly?

mikegibbo
01-03-2003, 06:52 PM
This is a really frustrating aspect to the Murano. First of all, I was led to believe that it was included with the premium system - it is not, it just allows you to "pay extra" for the receiver and SEPARATE antenna - from what I can tell this will run about $400 - the antenna on top is NOT a satellite antenna. My dealer told me it would be available at the end of 2003 - but I think they don't know what they are talking about. I called Nissan today and they did not even know and did not call me back. Satellite radio is great, I had Sirius in my old car (BMW) through an RF modulator - which degraxdes the sound. This should not be the case once Nissan gets their act together. When I called Sirius, they said several Murano owners had called thinking that all they had to do was activate their accounts - only to realize that they are missing the receiver and antenna altogether. It almost seems like the satellite radio was a last minute addition - very poor literature in general - even in the users manual. So, for now - we will just have to wait until Nissan resolves this great mystery. Love the car though!!

**DONOTDELETE**
01-07-2003, 12:51 AM
I, too, am disappointed about the lack of satellite radio support. While the main reason I chose the Murano was the design, seeing that SAT button on the dash was a definite plus. I urge Nissan to get this straightened out and to supply a receiver at a reasonable price, and soon. I have a home XM unit that cost me less than $200, including antenna, and it works great!

jaak
01-07-2003, 07:22 AM
Normal marketing strategy. Gouge the early adopters. Once most cars have the option, it will be cheap.

Taylormade
01-30-2003, 01:44 PM
FYI,

The head unit is produced by Clarion and Bose has nothing to do with the XM radio option. According to Clarion, the XM radio module is ready for dealer distribution. The problem is with Nissan, however, in that they are apparently having difficulty determing how the dealers are to install it. Supposedly, Nissan engineers are working on a solution. This information comes from both Clarion and Nissan Customer Service.

mikegibbo
01-30-2003, 02:35 PM
thanks for the update - the more I think about it there has GOT to be a way to connect it through a third party = just do not know how the radio would be programmed to recognize that it is there - could be automatic, may require programming - again, I sent an email to Nissan Cusotmer Service - no reply (twice on this issue) - how long does it normally take to get a response?

Taylormade
02-01-2003, 02:17 AM
If you want to use a third party XM radio tuner then you can't use the head unit's SAT functions. If you want to use the head unit to control the satellite radio, then you'll have to wait for Nissan to approve the Clarion module.

dklanecky1
02-04-2003, 10:25 AM
This just in from Nissan.......

Idiots http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/confused.gif

Dear DKlanecky,

Thank you for contacting Nissan North America, Inc. and allowing us the opportunity to be of assistance.

We appreciate your time and concern in contacting us. The satellite radio for the Murano is late availability and should be available in May, 2003 or later.

If you have any further questions or comments, please feel free to e-mail us.

Sincerely,

Latrice
National Consumer Affairs

Original Message sent 1/24/2003

Good Afternoon,

I have an aftermarket XM Satellite currently installed in my 2000 Maxima SE. It has increased my enjoyment of the Maxima dramatically, to the point where I feel I must have the SAT radio option in all of my vehicles from now on.

I am interested in purchasing a Nissan Murano SE AWD (within the next 90 days) with the factory installed XM Satellite option. My dealer(s) are unable to provide me with any information as to availability, pricing, or operation of the unit (controls, antenna's, etc.).

Could you please let me know when this option will be available on the Murano? I want to purchase the Murano but may have to buy a competing vehicle if the XM radio will not be available soon enough to suit my needs.

Thank you for your time,

ownersite
02-04-2003, 11:55 AM
Here is what I got the other day...
</font><blockquote><font class="small[/img]In reply to:</font><hr />
Thank you for contacting Nissan North America, Inc. and allowing us the opportunity to be of assistance.

Your vehicle is Satellite Radio capable from an after market provider. However this after market option has not been factory pre-wired and will not integrate into the factory radio. A satellite radio unit purchased from retailers such as Circuit City, Best Buy, etc. will work in the vehicle, but it will not integrate into the factory radio. Consequently, the aforementioned unit will not integrate or operate with use of the "SAT" button the radio faceplate.

A target date of April 2003 has been set to launch the optional
factory-install and dealer-install satellite radio programs for factory pre-wired vehicles. Please note that April is strictly a target date and subject to change if required.

Once again, thank you for allowing us to be of service.

[/QUOTE]Hmm, I think I already knew that I cannot go to Best Buy and purchase a non FM or cassette modulated solution that plugs into and is controlled by the existing Murano head unit. I even mentioned that, in detail, in my email to Nissan.

As suspected, no information on whether Nissan will be supplying a solution for the "early" Murano's. I would love to speak to an actual engineer that works on the Murano that would actually understand my question to give me an answer.

Ok, here is what I want to know if someone in the know can find the definitive answer to...(Taylormade, this will look familiar to you. http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif )

There are three major components that make up a satellite radio system.

1) A satellite ready head unit.
2) A satellite radio tuner
3) A satellite radio antenna.

I fully understand that my Murano is not pre-wired for satellite radio, in the sense that it does not contain items #2 and #3 or any associated wires, harnesses, etc. that would connect items #2 or #3 to the head unit if it were to come available from Nissan. Absent #1 would be aftermarket FM modulated or cassette adaptor solutions, like those referenced by Nissan above.

However, is the head-unit satellite ready? (i.e. OEM hardware can eventually be installed and controlled by the head unit or the head unit has a satellite input that could ultimately be exploited by an aftermarket company like Blitzsafe to plug-in a 3rd party tuner and antenna that will display satellite information on display unit) Pressing the SAT button does something, it tells me that there is "NO SAT", so it has to be looking for some type of interface.

That is all I want to know. I have no interest in an FM or cassette modulated solution, as the sound quality is simply too poor. I am not looking for it for free. Heck, if its satellite-ready, the aftermarket will tackle it eventually...just please let me know! http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

kalikidtx
02-07-2003, 05:24 PM
well some of these postings are correct and some is not. Yes the Satellite was pulled because of a quality control issue with replacing the head lining after installation at the port, but now for the bad news....first the satellite will not be avail on the 03 Murano at all, and hopefully for the MY04. Yes the SAT button is on the radio and will do nothing. And now for even more bad news there will not be a dealer kit avail to retrofit the 03's and there will not be a dealer installed kit at all. sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

ownersite
02-07-2003, 06:25 PM
kalikidtx,

Do you work for Nissan? Clarion? XM? Sirius?

We have been hearing many different pieces of information about SAT radio for the Murano and few of them actually jibe. Since this is your first post, can you tell us what is your source of this information? Thanks.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-07-2003, 07:00 PM
Yup, Sat Radio functionality will not be available for MY03 Muranos. I just found this post on Edmund.com forums:

</font><blockquote><font class="small[/img]In reply to:</font><hr />
SAT Radio Availabiliy - the latest from NissanUSA by workinclassdog Feb 07, 2003 (4:55 pm)
On the phone now about this -

According to the rep I'm talking to at Nissan Consumer Affairs, he says they have pulled it from the table as an option for any of the Model Year 2003 Muranos http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif He's reading from the Nissan internal memo on the SAT-capability of the radio.

There is apparently some issues with the cabling from the head unit and Nissan hasn't approved any of the potential fixes yet. The rep said they are are being told as of now that none of the Muranos will be able to use the "SAT" button on the radio, and Nissan is developing some type of official explanation to filter down to the dealers.

I asked him if there was any projected ETA for a fix (model yr '04, etc) and he said that until the quality issue with the cabling is resolved, only an aftermarket kit would allow you to get XM or Sirius.

[/QUOTE]

kalikidtx
02-07-2003, 07:32 PM
I work for Nissan in a department that deals directly with these issues. I can understand the skeptisim since this is my first postings, but not my last!

kalikidtx
02-07-2003, 07:34 PM
well i hope that someone else validated the exact same thing from a different source shows that I have worthing information....:-P

Thanks

3pctoverinvoice
02-07-2003, 07:56 PM
On Jan 22nd I received this reply:
Dear L,
Thank you for your interest in the Nissan Murano. At this time, SATellite radio is not an available option for the Murano. The vehicle does come wired to accept the SATellite hardware, however, that hardware would need to be installed aftermarket.
If you have any further questions or comments, please feel free to e-mail us.
Sincerely,
R.
National Consumer Affairs

Stew24
02-07-2003, 10:14 PM
I just got an official email from Nissan concerning the SAT radio concerns. They bacically said that the SAT option is not available on current Muranos. They said they were aware of the SAT button on pics in the brochure as well as on the actual headunits in current Muranos, but pointed out that they don't specifically list the SAT Radio as an option anywhere in the brochure. They went on to say that the current antenna affixed to the top of Muranos "IS" satellite ready. I read an earlier post, either here or on another board stating that the antenna on top of Muranos was not Sat ready, and only an AM/FM antenna. Well, the word I just got from Nissan Corporate is that the antenna is indeed Satellite ready. So, combined with the earlier post today, ... I'd say we are screwed. I think we should all start some type of class action to make Nissan retrofit our vehicles with the capability,on the grounds of deceptive advertising. Although the option is not listed in the brochure, the button is on all of our headunits, and the operation of the Satellite radio is gone over within the owners manual. I for one am very dissapointed. I don't like anything about a vehicle of mine, that doesn't function.

jaak
02-08-2003, 04:30 AM
I would suspect that, if the problem is truly just a cabling issue, then when the option comes out, even if it's for the 2004 model, it may be possible to buy the parts and install them. After all, what happens if you buy a 2004 with SAT and it fails. Ya gotta be able to fix it! So maybe, just maybe, you might be able to "fix" a 2003... http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/confused.gif

fatddyslam69
02-08-2003, 03:45 PM
dude, u people are so ready to start sueing...a class action suit because nissan didnt put SAT radio in your MURANO? DID U PAY FOR THE SAT RADIO? NO! so what is your problem. just beacuse there is a button there + an antenna, doesnt mean they forget to put SAT radio in just your car. It means taht if you want it that bad, you can do it yourself, and until nissan actually puts the whole SAT radio unit in the car, IT WILL NOT CHARGE YOU FOR IT&gt;.......wow, shows how much NISSAN FANS are devoted to nissan.......i guess we can continue to call u a nissan fan despite the fact that u want to start a CLASS ACTION SUIT AGAINST THEM FOR THE DUMBEST REASON I EVER HEARD....because believe me....YOU WOULD LOSE.... http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/smirk.gif

mikegibbo
02-08-2003, 08:01 PM
The point here is that Nissan dealers promised something that they are not delivering on. It may sound silly, but the ability to get satellite radio through the stereo, not through an RF modulator can be a deciding factor or contributor to the decision to buy. It now seems that us early adoptors are out of luck when it comes to satellite radio. Class action suit - probably overkill, but then again, do you really think Nissan is going to do anthing for those of us who would like what we were promised without some pressure? If you are such a Nissan fan, perhaps you can tell me what you think the odds of that happening are?

**DONOTDELETE**
02-09-2003, 01:45 AM
I totally agree with you on this. Fatddyslam69 is over the top on his response. One of the reasons I bought the Murano was the promise of XM radio availability. Nissan should supply a reasonably priced fix for this screwup!

**DONOTDELETE**
02-09-2003, 08:39 PM
Has anyone tried to get a list of the specs for the interface from Nissan? Is it possible to use a Pioneer XM tuner, for example? I've been researching their units and they appear to utilize an "IP Bus" interface connector that is common to their newer CD Changer Controls. If it's just an issue of cabling to the antenna, I wouldn't mind having new wiring run (even though it's a pain to do). I'd just like to have a working satellite radio solution that doesn't involve an FM modulator or casette adapter. I'm not ready to suggest a class action suit, but if there's a petition going around I'd certainly sign it.

ownersite
02-09-2003, 09:47 PM
Nobody has been able to get any answer out of Nissan as to whether or not the current Murano head unit is actually satellite-ready. (which sounds like your question if I am interpreting it correctly, see my post above for my definition)

If it is, the aftermarket will come up with a solution to connect a 3rd party tuner and antenna to the head-unit...something that some of us were willing to pay $400 to Nissan anyway.

Nobody expects it for free.

Omega_Rains
02-10-2003, 06:27 AM
one word, lawsuit...........

**DONOTDELETE**
02-10-2003, 07:24 PM
loss of trust and reliability that will be tough to recover by Nissan without a better answer since Satellite Radio is all over their advertising. Fatdaddyslam is out of touch if he does not recognize this is a cover up for an unacceptable engineering problem that has no satisfactory solution. EVERYONE recognizes the need to pay for SAT radio but were not told it would never be available when the purchase was made. It is a a deal breaker for sure.

The suit would be heard and eventually I'd bet some small amount recoverable for all who register to participate in the suit. Nissan knows they have screwed up and are caught between a rock and a hard place. It is easy to quickly lose the long struggle to recover consumer confidence. Corporate opinion would be more benign than Fatdaddy and would be expected to focus on resolving the problem. If not then there is no point in expecting Nissan to deal with "other" problems as they arise.

I'm sitting out until they get the SAT radio settled and have a better product that has survived roadtesting for problems. I'm watching the FX35 and looking for new releases before I pay the premium tab. http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/confused.gif

A simple straight forward answer is expected, if Nissan cannot make that statement and get their sales force to communicate it then I consider that deception. I'm happy to pay for XM radio, but I want what I pay for to be the gadget it is supposed to be.

JD Powers findings do not predict a good result from Nissan:

http://www.jdpa.com/pdf/2002049.pdf

**DONOTDELETE**
02-10-2003, 11:28 PM
Just filled out my post-purchase survey from Nissan and specifically mentioned the satellite issue in the comments section. We'll see if that gets a result! http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/smirk.gif Let's keep up the pressure! All else with the vehicle remains fine.

Mike995134
02-11-2003, 12:57 AM
Good idea. http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif I received my survey from Nissan last week and was going to fill it out tonight. Think I'll mention this as well.

ownersite
02-11-2003, 08:55 AM
Same here. I hadn't thought about it, but that's a great idea!