PDA

View Full Version : help: sr20det smoking

highVd
12-14-2002, 04:59 AM
Car is hard to start when it's cold (maybe mid 60's or low 70's here in hawaii). usually smokes up on startup and also smokes occasionally when driving around. smoke goes away though. i'm running a stock sr downpipe and stock exhaust with the stock cat on an 89 240 with 160 k miles. i did the swap about 1500 miles ago and was told the motor only had 20 k miles on it... what could it be? the starting problem is new but it always smoked. it's white smoke. i was told it would go away but it hasn't. comments? thanks for the help.

flaSR20DETpower
12-14-2002, 09:45 AM
could be a lot of other things too, but probably your turbo has blown a seal and you have some oil burning off in your exaust. That could cause the smoke. On start up that white smoke could be a blown head gasket. Does it seem like it is misfiring at start up? if it is thats probably the case. If you don't seem to be pulling hard on boost it could be the turbo. Id say its one of those two things but could be lots of other things too. Best case scenario turbo seal, worse blown head gasket.

SpeedRacer1
12-14-2002, 12:24 PM
I dont see how the "best case" is a blown turbo seal since that means he needs a new turbo or rebuilt one.:D

But anyway, is the smoke white or can you tell if it has a bluish hue to it. White is usually attributed to burning water. Have you noticed a decrease in water or oil? If you havent been looking then now would be a good time. When my turbo seals went bad I started going through about 2 liters a week.

**DONOTDELETE**
12-14-2002, 01:13 PM
i made white smoke last night...mmm...donuts.. http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

highVd
12-14-2002, 05:49 PM
could be a lot of other things like what? i'll list some stuff about my car that might help diagnosis.

i took it to the tracks the other weekend and it ran a 15.29. pretty slow but it lags a lot and doesn't pull on the top end much (power feels like it drops off after 6750). trap mph was 90 consistently so i think that's the best indicator. i'm running a small FMIC, walbro fuel pump. when it has a hard time starting up it does feel like it's misfiring. oil does not seem to go down really fast. thanks for the help.

highVd
12-14-2002, 05:53 PM
hm...the white smoke just looks white to me. i was thinking it might be water too. there's water over everything in the morning here. the only thing is that it also does it off and on while i'm driving so that kind of scratches that idea. i was also thinking it might be the stock cat...would that do it? anyway, i have been checking my oil and it doesn't seem to be burning a noticeable amount. you were going through 2 liters of oil a week? well, thanks for the help.