PDA

View Full Version : Oil filter magnet

**DONOTDELETE**
02-24-2001, 07:58 AM
Hey, has anyone else heard of that guy who tried to market the donut-style magnet for oil filters?

I guess some rig manufacturers put them on their long-term lease trucks, but not their for sale trucks.

If no one's heard of it, it's just a magnet that will gather metal filings from your engine on the inside of the filter, then, when you change it, you can be sure that those filings didn't end back up in the oil.

I'd imagine it's a pretty powerful magnet to scoop and hold any metal at all in the high pressure oil flow.

A year or so ago there was a news program about some guy here in Calgary, AB, Canada that tried to market it, but none of the stores carried it because then people might buy less oil over time, or something.

Just thought with all the motorheads (not THAT kind of motorhead...) around, someone might have heard about it. My budget's gonna be tight for awhile, want to keep my car running as long as possible - just passed the 100K mile mark...

Anyway, even the cool parts stores here, like Auto Village, are being bought up by Parts Source (Canadian Tire), so there will be less places for this kind of stuff to turn up.

Haven't done a thorough i-net search yet - thought I'd ask here first.

Well?

97KAT
02-26-2001, 11:55 AM
The idea sounds good. I have heard good things about it but have no experence with it. I dont think it could hurt to use it, execpt if some how it did not hold the fileings in the filter and the magnatised fileings stuck to engine parts. I doubt that would be a problem though.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-26-2001, 01:45 PM
Back in the "olden days," air-cooled Volkswagen engines didn't even have an oil filter, just a pole magnet on the bolt that went in the oil pan drain hole. When you changed oil, you'd wipe the magnetic filings off this, stick it back in and you were good to go! However, this really wasn't a great oil filtration system...

The oil filter, itself, should do an adequate job of collecting particulates. If the bits of iron-based metal that end up in the oil are too small, they loose their magnetic characteristics, and a magnet simply won't attract them. The same is true of non-magnetic alloys such as those based on aluminum. Your best bet for clean oil and long engine life is to invest your money in a good factory specification oil filter.

btw - A few years back there was the "tape-2-magnets-to-your-gas-line-and-double-your-mileage" craze. It was great for our magnet business, but didn't do anything to solve the fuel crisis. http://www.freshalloy.com/