PDA

View Full Version : What engine management?

LOwrestling2001
12-17-2002, 09:06 PM
hi
was wondering,when u guys turn up boost on ur sr20dets...what engine management do u use? i just came out of the honda market...and like...i know of AEM EMS and haltech...and the APexipowerFC (but it's not too popular for tuning around the bay as far as i know).

d240t2
12-17-2002, 09:21 PM
Well, Nissans aren't like Honda's, so you don't necessarily need to change the engine management to turn up the boost. Nissan's have mass airflow meters (MAFS) that actually measure the amount of air, so they can compensate for increased boost, as long as the MAFS doesn't get maxed out and the injectors don't get maxed out.

Dennis

Society_Mike
12-18-2002, 01:15 AM
You have an SR?
Wanna boost up?
Buy a boost controller.
Turn the boost up, IMO .8 bar is a safe setting if you have
a stock SR MAF, injectors, and fuel pump. However I highly suggest a better fuel pump, like a Z32, GTR, or Walbro.
With a better fuel pump, you can safely boost .9 or 1.0 bar on stock turbine, MAF, and injectors but you may see the injectors maxed out.
If you want some engine management, SAFC is a really good way to go, but if you REALLY want engine management, then a PowerFC is one of the best and I personally sware by it.
But I like having total control and being able to tune the computer/motor myself.
Do a search in this forum for more answers.

cdn_w_sr20
12-18-2002, 10:15 AM
If you want to get a standalone i would recommend getting an SDS. They are a little ugly but are really good systems for a decent price. If you are just cranking boost though you don't need much.

by the way, congrats on coming over from the dark side (honda), RWD kicks butt!

LOwrestling2001
12-18-2002, 01:43 PM
yea thanx man, my integra recently got stolen so i've decided to quit with hondas...and fwd...hehe

**DONOTDELETE**
12-18-2002, 06:30 PM
i dont like the sds system, if you can go with wolf 3d its pretty good deal and it has way more settings and options than sds, or an electromotive system. however if you are not that skilled yet, i would just go with a s-afc a 300zx mafs and a good electronic boost controller like the avcr. Apexi makes some really good piggy backs. once you have mastered those you might be ready to program a standalone.

IKu
12-18-2002, 07:02 PM
does anyone here have experiance with wolf 3d? surender?

Society_Mike
12-18-2002, 08:43 PM
yeah I've played with a couple SDS systems and they seem really.. no, they ARE, really cheap but they are so expensive. Cheap meaning, the sensors are cheap-o Discount Auto Parts looking things, harness, connectors, and a tiny screen to make adjustments. Plus you have to rewire then entire harness on your motor to make it work.
Apexi PowerFC, cost less, utilizes your stock sensors, plugs in place of your stock wire harness, no need for any rewiring whatsoever. Just plug it in and start the motor. Monitors virtually everything the motor is doing except oil pressure and temp. So you buy 2 guages if you like, it eliminates the need for all other guages. It even has a knock reading! Very simple to control and navigate once you play with it for a few minutes. Alot like the SAFC they make. Anyway, I would buy one if I just bought a stock SR powered car, it would be the first thing.
However, just for boost up, you can get by on the SAFC.

Ahhsk
01-02-2003, 01:36 PM
What about Greddy e-Manage?

Voltron
01-02-2003, 02:09 PM
Welcome to the club. My integra was stolen over the summer, so I used the opertunity to get in a car I always liked. Now I have a beautiful black s14. Its not as fast as my integra was, yet, but its way more fun to drive.

issanni
01-02-2003, 03:12 PM
I would like to know the same thing as well. Especially since Greddy has the new centralized system that incorporates the emanage with the ProFec E-01, guages, etc. It'd be nice to have a simplified/unified system unless that simplification and ease of use comes at a sacrafice of functionality and capability.

Joe

**DONOTDELETE**
01-02-2003, 04:15 PM
anyone see the new Holley commander 950. here is a link from sport compact about a crx build up. http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/projectcars/0212scc_projectcrx/
pretty strange to see holley in the import scene.

oh yeah, haltech is coming out with the e11 which is supposed to be nuts (windows based as well). plus its way lighter on the wallet than the tec3

just out of curiousity, what types of power are you looking for? and what turbo do you plan to run?

i see lots of honda guys on the DSM boards and they are surprised to see some pretty high hp numbers with only a piggy back like the afc being used. apparently honda ECUs are too boost friendly http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif