PDA

View Full Version : Getting a new engine - caveats? (KA for KA swap)

Jonny_290
12-18-2002, 05:46 PM
My engine blew last week and fortunately I've found a replacement for $100 (wow). Anyways, I'm having it pro swapped, as I *could* do it, but have an apartment and no workspace.

Guy quoted me about $420 for the install. Is this in the ballpark? Also, are there any things I should keep in mind after I get it back (assuming it runs) - change oil frequently, etc? It's been in a garage for 3 months, has about 120K on the engine.

/me cries at the thought of labor costing 4 times as much as parts....

**DONOTDELETE**
12-20-2002, 12:48 AM
tell him:

"i gib yu phi dolla...en a big mac"

Okay, just kidding, if the swap is straight forward (same chassis motor) then i'm sure someone on FA who's in the area maybe able to help you out....so why don't you tell us where you're located? However, that labor price is about right considering it's a day's work at $55/hr.

-demitri

Jonny_290
12-20-2002, 04:18 PM
I'm in Fayetteville, AR. I've got a friend who has lots of book-learnin' on the S13's, and is going to do an S14 hybrid with an RB26DET this summer, but other than that I can't really find anybody. I'm just gonna bite the bullet and have the shop do it. But then it's cam and chip time. http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

carluch
12-20-2002, 05:39 PM
you dont need a garage to do the swap...
i did my first sr swap on the street, in front of my house. plus, you live in the south, so you dont have to worry about the cold...
trust me, with all that you will learn, and the satisfaction you'll get out of working on your own car, it will be worth the effort...

Jonny_290
12-20-2002, 06:06 PM
Well, here's the deal. I'm scared about not being able to line things up right, and scared that I may install something wrong and blow it up.

I can get an engine hoist and my apartment manager already knows that I'm going to be working on my car for a week or two in the back lot.

Does anybody have a link to a thread or page that details all that I'll need to do? I've got the Chilton's for this car, but it sucks.

Jonny_290
12-20-2002, 08:42 PM
I'm starting to think that I may be able to pull this off myself with an engine hoist. Seriously.

I mean, as long as I label every wire and hose I pull off, and make sure to be safe, I should be able to pull the old one and put the new block in on one day, and hook up the new block the second day (probably take 1/2 day). What do you guys think?

ftrceo
12-22-2002, 10:42 AM
Wow Fayetville!?!?
Hi there, I live in Cabot and am a nissan lover myself. Having helped on a few Honda swaps, starting my 4age Swap, And I also own a 240 (which I will soon swap). I will be happy to help. I also have some of the info that you need. I also used to own a Z and did mad work on it too so i love my nissan engines. need help? lemme know.
Thanx,
Ftrceo@yahoo.com http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

Jonny_290
12-23-2002, 04:15 PM
you got da mail. http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif