PDA

View Full Version : Fast240Sx's Modifications to my SOHC 240

Fast240Sx
03-12-2001, 07:14 PM
Project 240 has been going on for about a year now and this is what is ended up like, its not done yet nor will it be till this list and more are completed wich should be by the end of april. Here is a list of mods to my NA SOHC 240. 1990 S-13

Mods Right Now:
Motor Rebuild:
Head: 5angle valve job, Hyperutectic pistons, NEW valves, springs, Ground down cam and refinished, shaved head, and cleaned.
Bottom End: Bored .050 over. Ground Down camshaft then refinished. Larger Wrist pins.
Intake: Ractive Cone filter
Exhaust: Maxspeed muffler, Custom Mandrel bent 2.5" catback system.
Custom white interior, Enkei Zoko 16" Rims, custom white grills, 35% tint, ACT 4 puck race clutch, Front and rear strut tower bars, short shift kit, Optima Yellow Top Deep cycle batt.
Kamelion KD-LX50 Voice Recognition CD player, 2 Alpine ZR 12" subs, Kenwood 600Amp, Lanzar EQ, 4 guage power cable with 150amp circuit breaker, Misc Neons.

Future Mods: Injen Intake, Jim Wolfe Technology ECU upgrade, 300Zx Twin Turbo Fuel Pump, 300Zx Twin Turbo Fuel Filter, Custom Turbo T4, Veilside body kit, Reccaro Racing Seats, Misc Guages, other misc stuff. New Paint

I would like everyone to guestime to their best knolege what my 1/4 mile time might be. Just take a guess. Im going down April 1st to find out at New England Dragway. Come on people reply on my topic and tell me some 1/4 mile guestimates on my SOHC 240.
Fast240Sx

[This message has been edited by Fast240Sx (edited 04-12-2001).]

**DONOTDELETE**
03-12-2001, 11:55 PM
Not to sound negative, but with no boost or upped C/R,and the extra audio gear/neon stuff, close to stock.

Nice engine work though.

**DONOTDELETE**
03-13-2001, 12:53 AM
Between 15.3 and 15.7 (depending on launch RPM and tires).
You will be about 185HP at flywheel.
http://www.freshalloy.com/

**DONOTDELETE**
03-13-2001, 06:19 AM
get a hotshot header and apex n1exhaust and to there specs that should add 30.6hp the get the injen cold air for about 5-10hp and a ecu and now your running around 200hp,,,hmmm if you can drive a manual really good id say in the 14's for sure

Hey guys what is the stock time anyway for a 91-93 dohc manual SE.?

**DONOTDELETE**
03-13-2001, 09:52 AM
185hp? 200hp? on a N/A SOHC that started with 140 at the flywheel?

Somehow I would find that hard to believe.

I think ~165hp is a better estimate.

**DONOTDELETE**
03-13-2001, 10:04 AM
opps my bad that all gains about 40hp but i thought it was the dohc 155hp stock one,,,so i guess for you it would be around 175-180

redlyne
03-13-2001, 10:38 AM
Umm, not to rain on any parades, but the SOHC is the used in nearly EVERY race 240sx, anywhere. It's in the NASPORT GT car. It's in the Nissan offroad hardbody race trucks, and they make at least 280 hp, with almost zero engine restrictions... They kick ass. Look in the Nissan Motorsports U.S. catalog, and see which KA has the most goodies for sale.... It can be done http://www.freshalloy.com/

Sean

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by foolishboy_26:
185hp? 200hp? on a N/A SOHC that started with 140 at the flywheel?

Somehow I would find that hard to believe.

I think ~165hp is a better estimate.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

**DONOTDELETE**
03-13-2001, 11:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by redlyne:
Umm, not to rain on any parades, but the SOHC is the used in nearly EVERY race 240sx, anywhere. It's in the NASPORT GT car. It's in the Nissan offroad hardbody race trucks, and they make at least 280 hp, with almost zero engine restrictions... They kick ass. Look in the Nissan Motorsports U.S. catalog, and see which KA has the most goodies for sale.... It can be done http://www.freshalloy.com/

Sean

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, I'm the SOHC's biggest fan. I agree with you about the nissan motorsports catalog of goodies (including the hardcore/retro mikuni carbs available only for the SOHC).

I also like the SOHC's simplicity, and oddly enough it's uniqueness in the boosted world. With the ECCS box and Valve cover polished, the SOHC motor looks purty too. http://www.freshalloy.com/

I also know it has potential NA or boosted.

That's why I'm trying to perk up some interest in the SOHC motor. Very few seem to be listening. This is a very DOHC oriented board/world.

I'm always saying that there are SOHC monsters out there. And I hope to join them with my mini-monster.

His mods are basically intake, exhaust, and .05over, with cams, some headwork.

I personally don't see that adding up to more than 25hp on our NA engine.

The engine work is nice and may help in terms of future reliabilty, and durabilty if boosted but do not really add any notable power in themselves.

5 more cents. http://www.freshalloy.com/

Fast240Sx
03-13-2001, 09:06 PM
Thats sad if i cannot get any more power than that in the NA area, ive dont all i can to the motor. But it is Setup for NOS, computer controlled NOS may i add. The builders build race cars for aliving. So they knew what to do for my motor to handle NOS, they said wit the NOS system i am getting its a 100Shot.. they said they garenttee the motor for a year unlimited milage and on NOS. They said my motor should be around 200HP range like 190-200HP at the flywheel. I dont know for sure but thanks for the input.
Fast240Sx
Keep the SOHC alive
"Speed Kills Drive a Honda"
Everyone and their grandparents drive HONDA's get a NISSAN honda Boys.

Mav1178
03-13-2001, 09:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 240sx4life:
get a hotshot header and apex n1exhaust and to there specs that should add 30.6hp the get the injen cold air for about 5-10hp and a ecu and now your running around 200hp,,,hmmm if you can drive a manual really good id say in the 14's for sure
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How will that add that much horsepower?

Do remember that horsepower gains from each item doesn't occur at the same RPM. A 5HP max gain from an intake may be at 4000 RPM, but a 10HP gain from an exhaust may be at a higher 5500RPM.

There's no way anyone can make a educated guess as to how much horsepower these items add without a dynochart...

By the way, 40HP gains from CAI, headers, and an exhaust is way too optimistic... You'd be lucky if you get more than 30HP out of these items.

-alex

redlyne
03-13-2001, 10:24 PM
Ok, lemme get this straight. This guy has done a fair amount of headwork, a cam (how hot is this cam, anyway?) along with a new bottom end with (I'm assuming) a bumped up compression ratio, the '90 only had 9:1, and I/E/H and you all think he's only getting 25/30 hp from it? Something doesn't add up here. This should get him AT LEAST 180 at the flywheel. It seems to me that all the head/bottom end work should bag him a little more than that. Just my $0.02.

Sean

**DONOTDELETE**
03-13-2001, 10:26 PM
where is the nismo stuff? what is their website?

Mav1178
03-13-2001, 11:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by redlyne:
Ok, lemme get this straight. This guy has done a fair amount of headwork, a cam (how hot is this cam, anyway?) along with a new bottom end with (I'm assuming) a bumped up compression ratio, the '90 only had 9:1, and I/E/H and you all think he's only getting 25/30 hp from it? Something doesn't add up here. This should get him AT LEAST 180 at the flywheel. It seems to me that all the head/bottom end work should bag him a little more than that. Just my $0.02.

Sean<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wasn't responding to the original poster, I was respond to the person that claims 30+hp from a header/exhaust setup and 5-10 from a CAI. My statements were in response to that.

Just because individual items add xx horsepower *each* doesn't mean they all add up the SAME in the end. I will prove that b/c I will be doing an extensive dyno test with Sport Compact Car in the next 2 months, with all bolt-on parts such as exhaust, headers, ECU, cams, etc., and the whole process will be dynoed with each additional item.

Don't ever take the manufacturer's claim as "solid evidence"... keep in mind that they're trying to sell the products as hard as they can...

-alex

Fast240Sx
03-14-2001, 11:35 PM
Can i buy aftermarket or larger Fuel Injectors for my 240 dont forget its SOHC, i havent done a header yet, nor an ECU upgrade, nor gotton my test pipe in, test pipe goes in next week. I have heard the 300Zx TT Fuel pump drops right into my stock location and you dont have to modify a thing to put it in, wires are the same? Anyone experament with this on a SOHC, any info on getting my 240 to its potential would be greatly apreacialted. Im trying to get ready for April 1st cause thats the 1st night of drags at New England Dragway and i wanna go eat some HONDA's
Thanks
Fast240Sx

**DONOTDELETE**
03-14-2001, 11:50 PM
http://www.sdsefi.com/features/feature2.html
http://www.sdsefi.com/features/240sx.htm

These two project cars use non-stock injectors. You will need a ECU retune or get a system like the SDS efi unit to run these injectors. The only injector you can run with the stock ECU is the stock injectors (or equivalent).

**DONOTDELETE**
03-18-2001, 07:35 PM
I've just finished rebuilding my engine. I've got a 90 240sx 5spd. The stock compression is actually 8.6:1, which is the lowest of all the 240's. I went through the Nissan motorsports catalog and got some 9.1:1 compression pistons. I had to have the block bored for the pistons. I'm not sure what it was bored to but the rings came with a chart that listed standard bore, 50, 100, and 150 bore. Mine were the 100 bore. I don't know what those numbers mean though. Neways, I got a valve job, and an ACT clutch. I already had a cold air intake(custom), and a dump pipe. I was gonna get some JE forged pistons, but I would've had to wait 6 weeks for them. I'm getting my car ready for turbo. I only have 250 miles on the rebuilt engine right now, but it feels strong, and keeps getting stronger the more I break it in. I've been giving it no more than 1/2 throttle and shifting at 4k rpms. I can't wait to open it up and see what it's got. I'll be taking it to the dragstrip soon, so I'll let y'all know how I did. I am very curious to see how it will do. I'll be happy if I can get into the 15's, but would like to see some low 15's.

**DONOTDELETE**
03-18-2001, 07:38 PM
BTW, I live in Louisiana which is mostly below sea level.

ADAM HUTCHINSON
04-12-2001, 08:06 AM
my guess is 155bhp with 150lbs torque...with a 15.5- 16.2 1/4 mile

you guys are out to lunch with 180bhp

**DONOTDELETE**
04-12-2001, 12:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ADAM HUTCHINSON:
my guess is 155bhp with 150lbs torque...with a 15.5- 16.2 1/4 mile

you guys are out to lunch with 180bhp

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well idunno about that, I took a 1981 Toyota 22R (96-116hp stock) and bumped it up to 155hp w/

K&N on Weber racing carb, RV Cam, Valve job, high compression pistons, MSD ignition, NGK plugs, custom 4-2-1 header, custom 2 1/2" exhaust thru 2 1/2" id. glasspack. (No cats or any of that other junk http://www.freshalloy.com/

I'd imagine on a newer engine will take better to the same mods, and intake and exhaust are obviously a huge restriction on the 240.

Don't jump all over me, it's just an opinion, and you know what they say - opinions are like a$$h0les, everybody has one, I don't necessarily want to hear yours http://www.freshalloy.com/ hehehe j/k

Fast240Sx
04-12-2001, 08:24 PM
Well, I dont know what ill run for times yet. But last year i ran a 16.3 with 145k on the motor, a bent valve a wrist pin on its way out, and bad piston rings and my clutch was slipping horribly. All this wit bald tires. So im thinking high 15's with all my mods, also add the ACT 4 puck race clutch with no springs and good tires, and a test pipe to my mods list LOL.
Fast240Sx

**DONOTDELETE**
04-13-2001, 08:41 AM
After all the mods and work, I'll have to agree with the rest of the old-schoolers on this post.. getting 30+ HP from just bolt-on's is going to be pretty hard, almost unrealistic in many cases. Unless you're doing a lot of internal engine work, its going to be lame.

After all my mods, I've gained some `peppiness` but nothing that says "Hello... goodbye GS-R or GSX/T" .. without MAJOR work, the SOHC (or many engines for that matter) cannot just GAIN HP like that. BUT, I didnt install my mods to acheive ground-shaking results. As an enthusiast, I purchased and installed my mods to make my car more responsive, easier to work on, and more unique.

Its not so much being able to out-drag people that puts a smile on my face, its being able to NOT pop my hood for 6 months and KNOW that my engine is tuned and doesnt need maintanance. Knowing that my car can handle the stress of full-throttle driving to almost every place I drive. Most importantly, when I do work on my car.. its easy to work on. Imagine this, I gutted my friend's 240 because I needed his alternator. It took me 1.5 hours to REMOVE the device from his car. It took me 30 minutes to remove AND install the alternator in my car, and re-install the battery! I know this isnt the biggest reason of why people own and mod their cars, but for me it is. Thats why I like the SOHC so much. Its just a very well laid-out engine, thats a fun car to work and learn on.

- Mike
www.clearcorners.com/240sx/images/ (http://www.clearcorners.com/240sx/images/)